Live 9 will not allow me to drag mp3 to audio track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Donnie

Re: Live 9 will not allow me to drag mp3 to audio track

Post by Donnie » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:00 am

Unfortunately, anyone running jbridge has to run Live as administrator :(

One workaround I have found is to use explorer++ in administrator mode. (https://explorerplusplus.com/)

Of course, since explorer++ is not native to windows, many times I end up in regular explorer instead. Or maybe want to drag something from the desktop. In that case it seems like copy/paste operations are the only way to get the job done.

yaddablah

Post by yaddablah » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:27 am

This is an unbelievable pain in the ASS.

Programs are supposed to get BETTER, not harder, not more inconvenient, and not more dependent on replies from one of the three part-timers working in Tech Support.

So you record a track on your iPhone voice recorder, you figure, "hey, I'll just drag and drop it like I did in 8 (and wasn't that so cool?)" but no. You have to spend a fucking hour figuring out how trick the "new and improved" version of Live to do it. I mean, come on, these are the audio files that everyone on the fucking planet uses, and Ableton can't handle them?!

You know what people used to say, before you were born? They said, "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it". Yeah, when I was a young shit I thought it was some redneck idiocy just like you do. Then I grew up and realized that it's really timeless wisdom. Funny thing about wisdom: it always seems to be couched in language that young people can't understand.

Enough of this fancy-schmancy horseshit. I'll take the old analog machines any day. And you can keep your space music and beats.
Last edited by yaddablah on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

yaddablah

Post by yaddablah » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:34 am

Duplexmario wrote:If you are running live "as an administrator" you will not be allowed to drag any audio into the program. Just make sure to not run it as an administrator.

1. Right click on Ableton Live Shortcut (Or whatever icon you press to open the program)
2. Click on "Properties"
3. Go to the "compatibility" tab and uncheck "Run this program as an administrator." It should now work.

Wrong.

yaddablah

Post by yaddablah » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:37 am

mrobare wrote:hi

right click on the mp3 file
choose open with and select live
and check always open with

that should fix it

devobtch
Wrong. Everyone's an expert, though.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:26 am

@ yaddablah Look, I drag Mp3s into Live 9 and it works every day.

So if it is not working for you, it is worth it taking the time to describe exactly what happens.

E.g. do you get that 'no access' icon that tells you Live won't let you drop it where you want to put it?
Does Live crash?
Does it just not respond??
Are you perchance trying to drop audio into a midi track?
What OS?

Etcetera

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Donnie wrote:Unfortunately, anyone running jbridge has to run Live as administrator :(

One workaround I have found is to use explorer++ in administrator mode. (https://explorerplusplus.com/)

Of course, since explorer++ is not native to windows, many times I end up in regular explorer instead. Or maybe want to drag something from the desktop. In that case it seems like copy/paste operations are the only way to get the job done.
there are a couple possible workarounds.

you may be able to use this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/144776- ... er-window/

this appears to let you open regular explorer windows as admin using right-click -> run as administrator (which you usually can't). unfortunately, i can't do this on my work laptop (security :) so can't verify.

normally, you can't run normal explorer windows as admin, which is why i am using explorer++.
but it has a feature which even i didn't realize until today: it can replace the standard windows file explorer.
you have to run explorer++ in admin mode, and then tools->options-> in the first tab, second part down, you can set
it to replace the windows file explorer for all files. then, _any_ time an explorer starts up, it will start explorer++ instead.
warning: this means that every time you start it, it will ask you for permission to start the explorer in admin.

it's also possible to run your entire explorer as admin (i.e. all of windows!) but that's generally not recommended.

there aren't any perfect solutions to this, but there are ways to make it a little easier...

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:34 pm

Good to know, thanks!

X-ACTO

Post by X-ACTO » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:08 am

thanks for the replies in this thread.. It helped me!

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:55 pm

thanks for the responses, I am now converting the files in Itunes, pia... to wav. per suggestion. but yeah used to be able to drag from itunes without converting.

DorianGrey

Post by DorianGrey » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Check if your Harddisc is nearly full!.. had this problem for hours and nothing helped, because I read that one solution is to doubleclick+openWith Ableton I than saw the error the first time: too little space! maybe somebody will have the same problem once..