Live Performance Latency Issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
floridagizzi

Re: Live Performance Latency Issues

Post by floridagizzi » Sun May 25, 2014 3:02 am

fishmonkey wrote:which latency are you talking about? 0 ms roundtrip latency is impossible to achieve. or are those the compensation values?
Sorry, I should have said 0ms driver error compensation, not overall latency.
HP Envy 15t i7-4700MQ 12GB RAM 240GB SSD 1TB HDD
MOTU Microbook II & Ultralite MKIII

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun May 25, 2014 3:07 am

no worries, that makes sense.

dburns

Post by dburns » Sun May 25, 2014 8:05 am

I've used MOTU interfaces for years and got great low latency. I don't know why the OP had Asio4all listed. Use the manufacturer's drivers and you should get the best performance.

Asio4all is really more for those with no audio interface who want to get the most out a computer with native drivers.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill.

floridagizzi

Post by floridagizzi » Sun May 25, 2014 10:21 am

dburns wrote:I've used MOTU interfaces for years and got great low latency. I don't know why the OP had Asio4all listed. Use the manufacturer's drivers and you should get the best performance.

Asio4all is really more for those with no audio interface who want to get the most out a computer with native drivers.

I somewhat agree, but asio4all gets me a lower latency than the motu drivers. Audio, there seems to be a different issue going on than the drivers as the latency report is excellent.
HP Envy 15t i7-4700MQ 12GB RAM 240GB SSD 1TB HDD
MOTU Microbook II & Ultralite MKIII

noou

Post by noou » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:46 am

floridagizzi wrote:
dburns wrote:I've used MOTU interfaces for years and got great low latency. I don't know why the OP had Asio4all listed. Use the manufacturer's drivers and you should get the best performance.

I somewhat agree, but asio4all gets me a lower latency than the motu drivers. Audio, there seems to be a different issue going on than the drivers as the latency report is excellent.
Hi there!
I suggest you don't rely on the latency figures reported by Ableton for the MOTU driver or ASIO4all, but rather measure the actual round-trip latency (RTL) with this free utility: http://www.oblique-audio.com/free/rtlutility
In my experience, for many interfaces ASIO4all reports lower latencies than the native ASIO driver. But then it's not the case when measuring the actual RTL performance.

I'm also interested in the Microbook II for use on a Windows laptop, so I'd be grateful if you could report what is the RTL for e.g.:
64 samples @ 48KHZ
96 samples @ 48KHZ
128 samples @ 48KHZ
.:: (noou) - electronic + music ::.
noou.bandcamp.com

noou

Post by noou » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:41 pm

UP!

please make this simple test with the RTL utility and report your findings. It won't take more than 20 minutes!
.:: (noou) - electronic + music ::.
noou.bandcamp.com