What annoys you about Push 2?

Discuss Push with other users.
jestermgee

Re: What annoys you about Push 2?

Post by jestermgee » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:05 am

Does suck when you have issues with a product, I had a similar experience with the Akai Advance Keyboard that saw me take it back BUT most of the issues I had were eventually resolved and I still like the product.

Keep in mind numbers of units sold vs the current feedback on issues though. While there are certainly some issues going around and a few bugs reported it has to be understood that every environment is different, some use their own USB cables, different hubs, different things running on their systems, different combinations of controllers. I also have never EVER owned a single piece of gear that I didn't find some kind of issue, quirk or fault with in some way.

The issues reported by RDiiO I can confirm display "lag" when you press a pad it does take about half a second to display the waveform but the intent is not to show a fast paces display of waveforms as you play. Push MK1 also "lagged" when hitting a pad and changing the Blue pad so it's not really an issue, It takes some time to load and send that data and doesn't affect the scheme of things. The incorrect waveform display is a puzzle and have yet to see that but could be cable/hub/power/driver/environment/pc/hardware related so we are not yet sure what is not the issue.

I do have issues with Push in the way the new colour scheme works in Note mode because it changes the root note pad to the colour of the track. Great in theory but if you are colourblind like I am it creates a bit of an issue in some cases. This is not a fault of Push though I could kick up a fuss about it, I just choose different track colours if I need to.

I'd say just get it out the box, plug it in and see for yourself. You know you will anyway. I'd be expecting a lot more people posting if issues were really bad and wide spread and hopefully the few cases I have seen can either be solved easily enough or are just isolated instances.

RDiiO

Post by RDiiO » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:06 am

starving student wrote:I would really appreciate hearing what they tell you after you contact them again as I'm one of those waiting in the wings, I actually already own my push 2 but I'm keeping it sealed/boxed until I feel comfortable about these issues I'm learning about.
i'll be honest and say I don't believe this display lag and waveform glitches will be fixed anytime soon or maybe even at all, i'm not confident just based on the feedback i've gotten from them. It's still a great piece of gear but there are issues that are going to prevent people from purchasing and returning. I can't say I know another controller I could recommend over Push 2 if your a ableton user I'm hoping they are going resolve all the issues listed here.

RDiiO

Post by RDiiO » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:21 am

jestermgee wrote:Does suck when you have issues with a product, I had a similar experience with the Akai Advance Keyboard that saw me take it back BUT most of the issues I had were eventually resolved and I still like the product.

Keep in mind numbers of units sold vs the current feedback on issues though. While there are certainly some issues going around and a few bugs reported it has to be understood that every environment is different, some use their own USB cables, different hubs, different things running on their systems, different combinations of controllers. I also have never EVER owned a single piece of gear that I didn't find some kind of issue, quirk or fault with in some way.

The issues reported by RDiiO I can confirm display "lag" when you press a pad it does take about half a second to display the waveform but the intent is not to show a fast paces display of waveforms as you play. Push MK1 also "lagged" when hitting a pad and changing the Blue pad so it's not really an issue, It takes some time to load and send that data and doesn't affect the scheme of things. The incorrect waveform display is a puzzle and have yet to see that but could be cable/hub/power/driver/environment/pc/hardware related so we are not yet sure what is not the issue.

I do have issues with Push in the way the new colour scheme works in Note mode because it changes the root note pad to the colour of the track. Great in theory but if you are colourblind like I am it creates a bit of an issue in some cases. This is not a fault of Push though I could kick up a fuss about it, I just choose different track colours if I need to.

I'd say just get it out the box, plug it in and see for yourself. You know you will anyway. I'd be expecting a lot more people posting if issues were really bad and wide spread and hopefully the few cases I have seen can either be solved easily enough or are just isolated instances.
is the display lag a deal breaker for some it may be but it's not something people will be expecting especially when comparing other controller to it that have similar visual types of displays overall its just annoying and from the feedback i've gotten from the development team it's not a issue with Push 2 but with the coding in the software which leaves me to believe it's we won't see improved anytime soon. the incorrect waveform display was something they confirmed after I sent over a video showing the issue, they put it in the release notes for the recent beta but i'm not noticing any improvement with the new Push firmware. It would be hard to return Push because the pro's outweighs the con's and for me it's the center of my studio setup. Give them a chance to work out the issues there a really good development team and this is a major product i'm sure there pay attention to the early feedback

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:34 pm

Hey everybody,
Thanks for listing this stuff. Promises have burned me in the past so I'll say it like a politician:

Computer systems are different, so issues like these show up in different ways for different users, so it always helps when you post issues or contact us as it helps us to prioritize our work. We use our own products in our spare time, so many if not all of the problems you describe here are on our radar, and we are working to continually improve and make things better.

So, expect continuous fixes with each beta and point release.
Jesse

(Push Product Owner/Manager)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:54 pm

It annoys me that Push 2 doesn't greet me in the studio each day with a personalized message. When I turn it on, something like "good morning Erik" should scroll across the screen. I can't believe this wasn't included in the first release, thank you Jesse for promising to fix this ;)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:26 pm

Good Morning Erik

thank you Jesse.

recyclinglostcities

Post by recyclinglostcities » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:37 pm

Only had mine for about a week, and loving it for the most part. Biggest annoyances are the velocity/aftertouch issues (doubly annoying when using my Alpha Juno, as AT is one of the only ways I can modulate it since Live filters out sysex), but as I understand this is being addressed, I'll live with it for now.

The fact that Ableton promotes Push 2 as being able to control all the parameters of Live's native devices, yet there are things like the looping envelopes in Operator that still require mouse control, is a little misleading. I can understand why routing and some functions still require a mouse, but it's kind of a bummer to discover parameters with actual musical applications are unavailable.

That's it so far tho, absolutely loving it and couldn't be happier. :D

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:01 am

Tarekith wrote:It annoys me that Push 2 doesn't greet me in the studio each day with a personalized message. When I turn it on, something like "good morning Erik" should scroll across the screen. I can't believe this wasn't included in the first release, thank you Jesse for promising to fix this ;)
You jest, but showing something like one of Eno's Oblique Strategies at power up would be kind of cool.

And yes, I'm outraged that Ableton couldn't be bothered to figure this out in the initial beta testing. :)

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:36 am

Jesse wrote:I'll say it like a politician
politics are strictly forbidden on the Ableton forum

that's what should scroll across the display

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:00 am

"I shall not complain endlessly about the forum moderation" might be another idea for scrolling messages now that I think about it. I think that's even in Eno's deck, so dual purpose really.

:x
Tarekith

giacecco

Post by giacecco » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:37 pm

Perhaps it is just me, I'm a newbie, but I don't like that Push 2 requires a lot of strength to get high velocity. This is a problem with all those instruments where you want a lot of expressiveness, say pianos, if the instrument does not allow you to tune the velocity sensitiveness, e.g. most of NI's stuff.

I've also tried an old Novation keyboard of mine. Pressing the keys with no particular force gets me >80 velocity on it. Doing the same with Push does not get me beyond 70. Moreover, and possibly worse - it is very difficult to get anything in the middle between 70 and 127, it's like it's either all or nothing!

The device is new, so it can't be that there is dust in the electrical contacts etc.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:41 pm

giacecco wrote:Perhaps it is just me, I'm a newbie, but I don't like that Push 2 requires a lot of strength to get high velocity. This is a problem with all those instruments where you want a lot of expressiveness, say pianos, if the instrument does not allow you to tune the velocity sensitiveness, e.g. most of NI's stuff.

I've also tried an old Novation keyboard of mine. Pressing the keys with no particular force gets me >80 velocity on it. Doing the same with Push does not get me beyond 70. Moreover, and possibly worse - it is very difficult to get anything in the middle between 70 and 127, it's like it's either all or nothing!

The device is new, so it can't be that there is dust in the electrical contacts etc.
you can adjust the response on Push to help with that.

also, strange as it sounds... there is reason to believe that giving your pads a good rub down will help with that... no happy ending required.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:46 pm

giacecco wrote:Perhaps it is just me, I'm a newbie, but I don't like that Push 2 requires a lot of strength to get high velocity. This is a problem with all those instruments where you want a lot of expressiveness, say pianos, if the instrument does not allow you to tune the velocity sensitiveness, e.g. most of NI's stuff.

have you adjusted the sensitivity on push like h20 suggested and did it fix your problem?

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:43 pm

Tarekith wrote:It annoys me that Push 2 doesn't greet me in the studio each day with a personalized message. When I turn it on, something like "good morning Erik" should scroll across the screen. I can't believe this wasn't included in the first release, thank you Jesse for promising to fix this ;)
My blofeld had a picture of Nietzsche when it was upgrading the OS! I thought that was hilarious!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:11 am

The elektrons have a few things like this, the MD used to flash a picture of Elvis saying "the machine is alright" or something randomly on start up.
Tarekith