'Melodics' - FREE finger drumming lessons (Ableton partner)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Willyum

'Melodics' - FREE finger drumming lessons (Ableton partner)

Post by Willyum » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:39 am

http://www.melodics.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY7wqx2mLsA

I'm not seeing discussions on this.... This shit is AWESOME!!!!
I thought I was early but it appears to have been released in October(Mac) (Windows out now).
Did a search and only found one person mention it as a comment... in a thread.

Been using it for the last few days and got a coupon code from Abes yesterday to unlock some more lessons. They say it works with almost all controllers and the latency slider goes down to a proper 'real feel' on my windows 10 machine. I am using with Maschine Mk2, haven't figured out how to use it with my Push 2 yet.

I haven't gotten to the higher stages yet but I'm already seeing improvement in my timing and coordination. I hope the higher levels will have the '16 Pad Keyboard' playing so I can finally have 'piano' lessons, and on a keyboard would be even better.

Are you guys using this and not liking it or something, There are tons of Free lessons. I'm surprised everyone is not going crazy over this (then again I might not tell my crew until everyone is amazed at how good I've gotten... My brain to hand coordination is ..... used to be, retarded!)

H20nly

Re: 'Melodics' - FREE finger drumming lessons (Ableton partner)

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:58 am

beats me mentioned it in a thread... it does look cool. i was afraid it would be some kinda gimmick to get you to subscribe/pay (whatever you wanna call it). i'm intrigued...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:59 am

Just saw that they partnered with Ableton and are offering free content with the coupon code, so it's definitely something I plan on trying next week for sure.

You're saying that it's all based on a 4x4 grid though, and doesn't apply to Push's greater range?

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:39 am

Tarekith wrote:You're saying that it's all based on a 4x4 grid though, and doesn't apply to Push's greater range?
No, it's not limited to 4x4 grid....
This page shows it on the 64 pad grid... https://vimeo.com/142081238 ... On Push.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:04 am

H20nly wrote:i was afraid it would be some kinda gimmick to get you to subscribe/pay
I absolutely won't subscribe... but I would be willing to buy packs every now and then if they offer genres that I want to learn but have had difficulty with. That aside, even the free lessons have more than enough free content to help get your timing locked (my goal has been to get 100% timing on every lesson (I think they give you full credit for the lesson at about 95% and start unlocking other lessons at about 98% accuracy)
As of tonight there are 26 free lessons, each lesson has about 3 to 8 sub lessons that make up the full lesson... so if you average out the sub-lessons it adds up to about 130 free lessons. Not to mention, some of the samples they use are pretty dope and you can outright play the kits even while you're not being tested...

Trust me...it's Awesome... Get it!

ChangoM

Post by ChangoM » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:29 am

Willyum wrote: haven't figured out how to use it with my Push 2 yet.
Very nicely done piece of software. I've been spending about 30 minutes per day for the past week. Works great on my Push 2. I have to completely close Live for Melodics to recognize the Push 2.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Willyum wrote:
H20nly wrote:i was afraid it would be some kinda gimmick to get you to subscribe/pay
I absolutely won't subscribe... but I would be willing to buy packs every now and then if they offer genres that I want to learn but have had difficulty with. That aside, even the free lessons have more than enough free content to help get your timing locked (my goal has been to get 100% timing on every lesson (I think they give you full credit for the lesson at about 95% and start unlocking other lessons at about 98% accuracy)
As of tonight there are 26 free lessons, each lesson has about 3 to 8 sub lessons that make up the full lesson... so if you average out the sub-lessons it adds up to about 130 free lessons. Not to mention, some of the samples they use are pretty dope and you can outright play the kits even while you're not being tested...

Trust me...it's Awesome... Get it!
8O sold! thx

:arrow: download

8)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:08 pm

That looks great, thanks for the heads up. My finger drumming is a load of wank.

Edit - works fine from Push 2, just turn Live off, choose Push 2 in Melodics' prefs.
Works great - pads light up green when correct, orange when a bit off, and red when just plain wrong/missed. Purple if too fast.
All the grade 1 lessons are extremely easy basic stuff, but from grade 2 it gets more interesting.

I like how in the same lesson you can go from being utterly useless to 100% on a few tries - just press spacebar to give it another go. With the visual feedback from Push, you can calibrate your timing between your ears, hands and eyes quite a bit.

h2ogun99

Post by h2ogun99 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:49 pm

Extremely well done app. I've enjoyed the hell out of the past couple of hours and will be subscribing to this. Thank you! Can't say how impressed I am.

L

login

Post by login » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:22 pm

Tarekith wrote:Just saw that they partnered with Ableton and are offering free content with the coupon code, so it's definitely something I plan on trying next week for sure.

What coupon? where can I find it?

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:53 pm

Thanx guys, I got my Push 2 working now... My Melodics did the update and suddenly Push was fine, so I'm not sure if I messed up something before and the update corrected it or what, but now I have my NanoPad 2, my Launchpad, Maschine and Push2 all to practice with.

NOTE:
any people using Melodics... there is a latency slider in settings. In the beginning I had to keep going in and manually bring down the latency cause it kept returning to default after each lesson... the update seems to now let it stay at the latency I chose (or maybe it was something I did wrong with the first install)... But make sure to bring your latency down cause it seems like the higher levels are judging your timing more critically.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:29 am

Maybe there's no code now, sorry about that:

http://melodics.com/ableton

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:07 am

login wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Just saw that they partnered with Ableton and are offering free content with the coupon code, so it's definitely something I plan on trying next week for sure.

What coupon? where can I find it?
I searched on both websites and couldn't find it... So I looked in the email account associated with Live. Found an email there with the code. It was sent to me on December 11th

hth

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks H2only, I knew I saw a code somewhere, just couldn't remember where. :)

login

Post by login » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:01 pm

Can get it to output audio on windows using an RME Fireface UC, lack of audio options is anoying.