Discuss Push with other users.
starving student

Re: Ok is there or is there not A Custom Note Assignment Feature

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:21 am

well custom midi notes is how we are going to get custom scales

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

That video shows how to map pads on an MPC to specific notes so you can trigger them from a keyboard. Are you asking how to set up Push so you can play from a keyboard but trigger specific pads on Push? I still don't understand the application here.

BTW if you are using a keyboard there's no need for custom scales unless you are playing microtonal music 8)

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:59 am

no doghouse, you haven't ever heard of 'midi note mapping'?
did you watch the other two videos? after you assign the midi note on the mpc pads, you don't have to use a keyboard, you can press each pad and it will send out the particular note that you have determined.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:21 pm

Yes, I know what MIDI mapping is.

Good luck with your search for a solution.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:33 pm

the solution is ableton implementing the feature. Thank you for your help.

login

Post by login » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:59 pm

MIDI note mapping would be a a very bad solution for custom scales.

Anyway, what you want is already possible using drumracks, midi effects adn Push2 64 pads mode.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:10 pm

login wrote:MIDI note mapping would be a a very bad solution for custom scales.

Anyway, what you want is already possible using drumracks, midi effects adn Push2 64 pads mode.
yep, I'll have to go that route until they implement the feature in its simplicity like everybody else, actually something like this isn't really even considered a feature, it's just press a pad and turn a dial to choose a note, but drum racks will have to do. thanks for helping out.

Temas1

Post by Temas1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:47 pm

login wrote:
Yes, but this presumes that everybody only wants to use Push 2 to operate within Ableton Live.

The point of having a User Mode for me is that it might enable me to set Push 2 up to use with other hardware devices and other software.

I've owned about 20 MIDI controllers and this is the first one that doesn't allow for custom MIDI mappings, which for me would be a very useful feature to enable me to operate devices that I already have set up to recognise certain scales.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:58 pm

Temas1 wrote:
login wrote:
Yes, but this presumes that everybody only wants to use Push 2 to operate within Ableton Live.

The point of having a User Mode for me is that it might enable me to set Push 2 up to use with other hardware devices and other software.
Live is what the Push was built for. It's not a general MIDI controller, but can be used as one if you write the software yourself or use something like PXT General.

Ableton are smart to focus and leave the field open for others to build upon their hardware. Yes, an editor would be nice but also limiting in scope or too expensive to keep up to date.
Make some music!

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:32 pm

an editor would be nice but is not what is needed in this case, an editor would be overkill and every example of custom midi note mapping in this thread is done so without an editor, even old ass mpcs. Imho ableton implementing this feature is far from beyond their scope of capability.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:34 am

starving student wrote:an editor would be nice but is not what is needed in this case, an editor would be overkill and every example of custom midi note mapping in this thread is done so without an editor, even old ass mpcs. Imho ableton implementing this feature is far from beyond their scope of capability.
I don't know what you mean with "implementing" here, but any additional functions to Push would likely have to come in software. I don't see Ableton adding purely non-Live functions to firmware, even if that was possible (I think not). In Live you get what you ask for with 64 pad drum racks so there's no need for it in Live.
Make some music!

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:05 pm

you never know Stromkraft, with your support behind the idea ableton might just listen and implement the feature as described.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:29 am

starving student wrote:you never know Stromkraft, with your support behind the idea ableton might just listen and implement the feature as described.
I think you mean with wide support and many, many votes over at Centercode. Even so I'd think it would not become a priority very soon, even if I wouldn't rule it out to be of interest. The feature as described is a bit vague and maybe not totally grounded in how functionality of the Pushes currently is implemented. At least not how I understand this aspect. I do agree it would be cool, but it would be of limited value to me personally.
Make some music!

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:32 am

Stromkraft I believe just as it works in these videos would be a great addition to the drum rack solution, which is a little different.
something that works like these examples is quicker and a better workflow. you're not interested in It now, but might be something that grows on you as workflows that move as quickly as this suggestion can usually find usefulness among the base... I know many who would benefit from this.