'Melodics' - FREE finger drumming lessons (Ableton partner)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Re: 'Melodics' - FREE finger drumming lessons (Ableton partner)

Post by sporkles » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:40 pm

I got an invite from both Novation and Ableton, so I figured it was time to check this out. It sure is fun, and I expect to be the next Jeremy Ellis before the year is over.

Even though it feels kind of like Guitar Hero (which I've never actually played, so the comparison could be silly), I think it's a cool thing to be doing if you find yourself "not feeling it" creatively; you're at least still doing something related to music production: you get to play your pad controller and you're developing a skill.

Cool stuff!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:49 am

agreed

I'll quit my day job... soon

MrCravon

Post by MrCravon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:20 pm

I downloaded Melodics a few days ago because it seemed really fun and people where saying great things. However I can't get it to work without having stuttering and choppy animations. Every time a note is about to hit the yellow bar the whole side scrolling part of the screen stutters. It also seems that the measurement of my drumming accuracy is affected. I get perfect scores when I can hear I am clearly way too late. I am on windows 10. Anyone else having these kind of issues. The way it is now I get queasy from just a few minutes.

My system:
Core i7
16GB RAM
120GB SSD
Nvidia GTX970
Sabertooth P67 Motherboard

login

Post by login » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:00 pm

MrCravon wrote:I downloaded Melodics a few days ago because it seemed really fun and people where saying great things. However I can't get it to work without having stuttering and choppy animations. Every time a note is about to hit the yellow bar the whole side scrolling part of the screen stutters. It also seems that the measurement of my drumming accuracy is affected. I get perfect scores when I can hear I am clearly way too late. I am on windows 10. Anyone else having these kind of issues. The way it is now I get queasy from just a few minutes.

My system:
Core i7
16GB RAM
120GB SSD
Nvidia GTX970
Sabertooth P67 Motherboard
The current windows built has no support for ASIO drivers, big and simple oversight. Nevertheless I wrote to them and they are preparing an update with ASIO support.

MrCravon

Post by MrCravon » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:23 pm

Good news that they are working on it. Was there mentioned a time frame? I mean, can I expect to be able to use it during the holidays?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:27 pm

MrCravon wrote:Good news that they are working on it. Was there mentioned a time frame? I mean, can I expect to be able to use it during the holidays?
if you want to use it during the holidays, I'd suggest talking to Melodics directly.

MrCravon

Post by MrCravon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:35 am

I contacted them directly. Turns out that they are planning a release with ASIO on windows today.

login

Post by login » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:20 am

Yeah, it asked for update and the new version has the ASIO support.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:59 am

I have it a week, subscribed ( I want to be sure to stay interested) , loads of fun and I'm loving the progress as before trying this I could do about 1 bar and my brain would fart and decide to switch rythyms to different fingers. Now I'm doing off beats, up beats and the odd triplet. Currently stuck on the kick/snare lesson of uk garage level 2 with the offbeat 1/8 triplet kicks, I can get it to 88% but I won't feel legit until I get it past 95. Also the dubstep one was way tougher then the others around it.

I'd like to see stop start mapped to controller transport instead of the space bar and an easier way to load the next group of lessons than going back to the browser.

MrCravon

Post by MrCravon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:45 pm

ikeaboy wrote: I'd like to see stop start mapped to controller transport instead of the space bar and an easier way to load the next group of lessons than going back to the browser.
This would be great!

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:39 am

ikeaboy wrote:I'd like to see stop start mapped to controller transport instead of the space bar and an easier way to load the next group of lessons than going back to the browser.
+1
And that's really cool that you are improving so fast. I get the same thing where my fingers get confused quickly... it's like there is a disconnect. I hope Melodics will help build the proper muscle memory, I'm already seeing some improvement in my overall timing while not doing the exercises.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:29 am

login wrote:Can get it to output audio on windows using an RME Fireface UC, lack of audio options is anoying.
Same here with my Hilo, no matter what I do the audio always comes out super quiet through my laptop speakers. OSX system is set to use the Hilo, and all my other apps work fine. Bummer, this looks pretty cool.

EDIT:

Cancel that, after a couple restarts of my laptop, now it's working fine.

EDIT #2:

Actually, previewing a lesson's audio works fine through my Hilo, but the actual lessons are still only coming out the laptop speakers :( I'll send a bug report to Melodics...
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

boabmatic

Post by boabmatic » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:32 am

MrCravon wrote:
ikeaboy wrote: I'd like to see stop start mapped to controller transport instead of the space bar and an easier way to load the next group of lessons than going back to the browser.
This would be great!
I reported this to melodics and they said its something they are already looking into.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Willyum wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:I'd like to see stop start mapped to controller transport instead of the space bar and an easier way to load the next group of lessons than going back to the browser.
+1
And that's really cool that you are improving so fast. I get the same thing where my fingers get confused quickly... it's like there is a disconnect. I hope Melodics will help build the proper muscle memory, I'm already seeing some improvement in my overall timing while not doing the exercises.
The exercises seem to be getting longer, cause yeah I want my fingers to have the knack without asking my brain what's next and repetition had to be the key to that.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:09 pm

boabmatic wrote:
MrCravon wrote:
This would be great!
I reported this to melodics and they said its something they are already looking into.
I gave them some feedback on the start button suggestion too, they see, keen to know what users want.