How to "Open" live sets without load time?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
miekwave

Re: How to "Open" live sets without load time?

Post by miekwave » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:05 am

lovelight wrote:Is it possible to take your vst folder, and move it to a new disk ( if i wanna buy a ssd) or shall i install all my vst,s over again to the new disk ?

win 10, 64 bit, 16 gb ram, intel 8xcore i7-4790 cpu 3.60zh, propellerhead balance

https://www.facebook.com/AbletonPushVstRacks/

http://lovelight.biz/
You can move your VST folder to a SSD. Access times are faster for sample based VSTi, but you shouldn't observe any difference on generic effects (compressors, delays, etc).

On My SSD I use

Native 32bit and 64 bit folder:
s:\VST\32bit\[]
s:\VST\64bit\[]

and

jbridge 32bit and 64 bit folder:
s:\VST\32bit\64to32jBridge\[]
s:\VST\64bit\32to64jBridge\[]

- - -
Whenever I run installers, I install native 32-bit vst to the \32bit folder and native 64-bit vst to \64bit folder

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:10 am

doghouse wrote:
miekwave wrote:I have SSD, my template loads approx 11GB of samples
You do realize that is a crapload of samples...about 18 hours worth!!!
My Set Template kind of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimDf9HFhSs
Over 100 tracks bussed into groups.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:05 am

Numbers? I have a late 2012 mac mini..... My memory chips are listed as 1600 mhz.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:47 am

SSD are too slow get a PCI-e SSD

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:08 am

XSIMan wrote:SSD are too slow get a PCI-e SSD
Are typically many mother boards already fast enough for PCI-e and the bottle neck is S-ATA?
SATA 3.0 has data speeds of around 600 mb/s, matching PCI-e 2.0 at 500 mb/s and beating PCI-e 1.0 at about 250 mb/s and only PCI-e 3.0 beats S-ATA at around 985 mb/s. All PCI-e numbers are one lane, so if you can have more lanes any version of PCI-e could beat S-ATA.

Obviously the SSD chosen need to be able to satisfy those speeds. But this would apply to the mother board as well, it's internal bus need to able to keep up. I'm sure that many do but it'd be wise to check this.

Sources:
Theoretical vs. Actual Bandwidth: PCI Express and Thunderbolt
Why SSDs are Transitioning from SATA to PCIe in the Next Gen Form Factor
(Both @tested.com)
Make some music!

dsu

Post by dsu » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:05 pm

Since we are talking about controllers one trick you can use is to get a high speed controller that supports a RAID 0 disk configuration. RAID 0 lets you combine several SSD so they appear like a single disk. The data is spread across the multiple disks increasing the transfer rate.

I would be looking at configurations used for video editing rather than music production to find something that will meet you requirements. I quick google search turned this up

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/pro ... cmultidock

I have no experience with this product it is just a example of a product in the video editing space.

The article discusses RAID 0 configuration

http://www.videoeditingsage.com/video-e ... drive.html

Good luck

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:58 am

So basically no one here knows how to keep samples in ram when changing projects that use the same samples?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:26 am

miekwave wrote:So basically no one here knows how to keep samples in ram when changing projects that use the same samples?
You keep the samples outside of the project in your sampler, running as an app and play it via the IAC bus, hopefully routing with Soundflower or similar. That's what I would have done, but it might not be practical for many reasons in your case.

That an application called "Live" doesn't offer more flexible solutions is ironic. That my old Macbook Pro can boot to the desktop in 10 seconds, yet most Live projects take well over 30 seconds or even more to load the components of a quite simple project with few samples is just ridiculous. Ableton need to streamline project loading. There must surely be techniques for reading in a 24MB project in no time and start playing or even with 600MB freeze files, right?
Make some music!