Arrangement view automation

Discuss Push with other users.
timothyallan

Re: Arrangement view automation

Post by timothyallan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:31 am

tedlogan wrote:Have you tried the mapping method though? You only have to map it once, and save it as part of your template set. Mapping it takes a few seconds.

From hereon, pressing your custom Back-to-arrangement button literally takes one second.

Of course an official button would be better for completion's sake, but it won't be any quicker.

hmm..it actually works quite nicely - I shall keep it in my template set.
Mapping the back to arrangement button is easy. But at the end of a project, I've probably got 50 different things I've automated. That's 50 times I have to MIDI map/unmap whatever I've automated to the 8 Push knobs in user mode, instead of it being all automatic... unless I'm missing something?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:41 am

No, you only need to MIDI map the back to arrangement button, and only once. This button appears whenever you trigger anything in session mode. It's a little red rectangle with a play icon followed by some lines. When you see it, Midimap it to Push 2's USER button. I only recommend the user button because you have to enter user mode to midi map anything to push anyway.

Now, whenever you wanna record anything into arrangement without overwriting clips, just press the user button twice.

The first time you press it you'll go back to arrangement, the second time youll exit user mode.

So you press it twice in quick succession.

You need to enable Push to be midi mapped in Live's preferences. Turn on REMOTE.

Once setup (and only once), it really is as quick as performing any other action on Push.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:58 am

Yeah man, doing that and still getting breaks in my clips when it starts recording.

Here's me flicking in and out of user mode/back to arrangement.

Here's P2 in user mode, mapped like a "normal" midi controller.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:11 am

I'm not quite sure what is still required...the bottom video seems to be working how you want it to.
You press the user button to enter mapped mode, press whatever button you've mapped to go back to arrangement, which happens to be the user button itself just for convenience sake, and off we go. This is only to avoid using the mouse to press the back to arrangement button of course, just to be clear.

I've just tried it again, no problems here. I record automation into arrangement view, over existing clips without replacing them. Only automation is recorded. I pressed shift+record on push.

Are you using the latest beta? They've only added arrangement recording since beta 9.5.b1. It will not work with 9.5

I have to go to bed, hope you get it sorted.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:26 am

Yep, got it. The bottom one is when I mapped one of the knobs in user mode directly to the control, far from ideal.

I'm on 9.5.1b3, so that's not it.

Dunno man, I'm doing shift/record as well. Overdub on/off, doesn't matter, my clip still gets split.

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:46 am

I have no idea what the issue is for you
I just did a bunch of automation recording with push the second the other day direct into arrangement view with no issues at all no mapping nothing being over written or anything!

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:13 am

Jbvdb wrote:I have no idea what the issue is for you
I just did a bunch of automation recording with push the second the other day direct into arrangement view with no issues at all no mapping nothing being over written or anything!

Dafuq. What am I missing hahah

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:00 am

You can't arm record arrangement view from push yet so hit automation record on push and arrangement record with the mouse and off you go, at least in my case!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:00 am

Jbvdb wrote:You can't arm record arrangement view from push yet so hit automation record on push and arrangement record with the mouse and off you go, at least in my case!
Nay sir, you can hit arrangement record from Push 2, at least in the Beta. SHIFT+record.

telekom

Post by telekom » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:15 pm

I cannot believe this is an improved implementation of arrangement automation. WT actual F? The manual does not explain this adequately (because I have RTFM lots of times now). The method mentioned in the thread above doesn't work for me. I'm not even bothered about not having to use the mouse - I just want to record simple automation in the arrangement. Can anyone from Ableton please clarify what a Mac user with Live 9.5 and Push 2 must do to record automation only in the arrangement, without overwriting the existing arrangement of clips in the track?
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

telekom

Post by telekom » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:21 pm

[jur] wrote:Topic merged with a similar one from the last week. Please use the search function before posting. Thanks.
Do you have overdub turned on?
It would be helpful to know what topic that was, or have a link for it please? As you know the forum search function is sub-optimal to say the least.
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.

JD North

Post by JD North » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:18 am

timothyallan wrote:
Jbvdb wrote:I have no idea what the issue is for you

Dafuq. What am I missing hahah
Hey timothallan -- I think I just figured it out. If you have the Push in Note mode and try to record / overdub automation to the Arrangement, you will get that behavior because Ableton is forcing record mode for the currently-focused track.

If you switch to Session view on the Push, and Arrange view in Live, then you can record automation as long as the Automate light is on on the Push, and you have the Arrangement Record Button enabled.

Hope that helps your situation,
-jdn

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:28 am

JD North wrote: Hey timothallan -- I think I just figured it out. If you have the Push in Note mode and try to record / overdub automation to the Arrangement, you will get that behavior because Ableton is forcing record mode for the currently-focused track.

If you switch to Session view on the Push, and Arrange view in Live, then you can record automation as long as the Automate light is on on the Push, and you have the Arrangement Record Button enabled.

Hope that helps your situation,
-jdn

That's exactly what it was. It makes perfect sense that you'd have to be in "Session View" mode on the Push to record automation into "Arrangement View" ;)

Thanks man, you've solved the month long riddle.

JD North

Post by JD North » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:52 am

Glad that helped you. Yeah, the logic of it is mind-numbing.

I will warn you I'm finding a glitch with Push automation recording in the Arrange where you will get "jumps" about 50% of the time after releasing a knob -- but only if there are pre-existing automation values in that lane. Which is of course most of the time if you're editing automation in multiple passes.

I just filed a bug for it. It's present in both 9.5 and 9.5.1b for me.

Will post back here if I hear anything on it from the support team.

-jdn

telekom

Post by telekom » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:54 pm

JD North - thank you for this! You have prevented great frustration at something that is not immediately obvious!