Organising subfolders/samples/drum racks etc?

Discuss Push with other users.
Citizen

Organising subfolders/samples/drum racks etc?

Post by Citizen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:30 pm

Push 2 is GREAT. :D

...BUT...

...browsing eveerything, it is all lumped together. ALL my drum racks (for example) are in one subfolder of the heirarcy. Is there a way to create sub-folders to better organise them?

This would be SUPER helpful. :)

Citizen

Re: Organising subfolders/samples/drum racks etc?

Post by Citizen » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:09 am

Nobody?

Really scratchign my head on this one. NI made it SO easy to orgnaise your stuff with Maschine.

uFunk

Post by uFunk » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:40 pm

Citizen wrote:Push 2 is GREAT. :D

...BUT...

...browsing eveerything, it is all lumped together. ALL my drum racks (for example) are in one subfolder of the heirarcy. Is there a way to create sub-folders to better organise them?

This would be SUPER helpful. :)
+1, it would be really helpful to know how to improve organization with Push2.

toph

Post by toph » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:57 pm

For complete drum racks installed as part of an Ableton Pack it may be the best way to browse down to "Packs" in the Push browser. There the file structure is the same as inside your user library directories. - Not perfect, but still much better than browsing through 100s of presets. ;)

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:26 pm

Citizen wrote:ALL my drum racks (for example) are in one subfolder of the heirarcy. Is there a way to create sub-folders to better organise them?
You can create as many folders and sub-folders as you want in the User Library and drag any drum racks or presets into them.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:35 am

ObtuseMoose wrote:
Citizen wrote:ALL my drum racks (for example) are in one subfolder of the heirarcy. Is there a way to create sub-folders to better organise them?
You can create as many folders and sub-folders as you want in the User Library and drag any drum racks or presets into them.

--
Moose
That is what I have personally done.Basically rebuilt the live library from scratch (still in the process of building)

I hate having an idea and thinking "I would love a nice thick string sound here" but not sure if I should search in Live core library, Packs, East West, Omnisphere, Kontakt etc etc. Very much a first world problem... too many options... so along with my VST presets for push (which I am finally completing after 2 years) I now have a mega library that has everything from every corner all linked in my user library which makes a world of difference (but is very time consuming to setup)

Image Image Image

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:50 am

Oh, wow – i DREAD to think how long that took to organise. 8O

That helps, but I still have to work out he best way to organise my folders and content. Unfortunately some of the obscure workarounds that I came up wtih to circumvent Push 1's shortcomings have created a certain degree of chaos in my library, so I'm not quite sure exactly how to go about this.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:38 am

I *think* I may have worked out my new organisational strategy. :D

But it still would be handy to create sub-folders in the main Drums Folder. Is it possible? The folder is pretty much usueless without any means to distinguish what is what.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:22 pm

If you try to rebuild a structure like Citizen did the problem is its outside of Ableton's schema, they never designed this system for users ... only for factory content arranged in factor folders with factory audio previews.

When they update packs, or locations, or anything ... your custom locations will all (very likely) break.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:22 am

Angstrom wrote:If you try to rebuild a structure like Citizen did the problem is its outside of Ableton's schema, they never designed this system for users ... only for factory content arranged in factor folders with factory audio previews.

When they update packs, or locations, or anything ... your custom locations will all (very likely) break.
Hmmmm. very frustrating. Thanks for the heads up, though. :)

What is the best solution/approach?

Also, what is the best way to work out which content is actually Live factory content amongst my drum racks? It would be great to be able to seperate it into its own folder somewhere.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:35 am

It's one of the biggest PITA with factory and expansion content with Live especially a lack of update or release notes when new content is added. I've finished my library, it works well but one of the last updates that apparently added new content I have no idea what/where it is so will consider it just a bonus if I ever come across it.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:58 am

Lol... I'm a bit the same way. The Live library is a complete mystery to me. Its an enigma wrapped in a riddle. 8)

Any additional tips for organising your library? Obviously its not something I want to do twice. :(

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:24 pm

Citizen wrote:Lol... I'm a bit the same way. The Live library is a complete mystery to me. Its an enigma wrapped in a riddle. 8)

Any additional tips for organising your library? Obviously its not something I want to do twice. :(
Sorry, nope. I have mine organised as I have detailed above and (for me) it works brilliant. I have noticed a huge improvement in finding the sounds I want simply because I can now go to a folder and see what instruments the sound type lives in..

The problem is I have simply copied much of the content out the main Live library to my own so updates to presets and additions will not be included. I'm really not fussed about that since I use 80% 3rd party instruments anyway.

Library management is not a simple 1 time thing, it is a constantly evolving thing that I still tweak and organise weekly.