NAMM 16 - Rumors and Hopeful Products?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sana48

NAMM 16 - Rumors and Hopeful Products?

Post by sana48 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:19 pm

NAMM is right around the corner and we will get a glimpse into the new production tools of 2016. Are you hoping for something in particular? Have you heard any rumors or do you have any insight into any new release products?

I tried to get some info out of Michael Babbit but he eloquently stood his ground and said "There are many rumors, but the facts will only come out during the show."

I am hoping for a new midi keyboard that uses the VIP software and is more stable than the Advance, I loved the Advance but the arpeggiator on it is crap. Even more so- I would like to see a new hybrid midi keyboard/Synthesizer at a consumer price. I am still looking for a Midi keyboard to fall in love with and none have grabbed me like I want. The ideal product would be a new midi keyboard that is also a synth!!

Tarekith

Re: NAMM 16 - Rumors and Hopeful Products?

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:26 pm

The only rumor I've heard is a new Roland groove box sampler, but it's only a rumor.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:42 pm

Possibly a new Yamaha flagship workstation to replace the dated Motif XF. The "Montage".
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:28 pm

I wonder if its time for that Behringer/Midas polysynth yet.

From Gearslutz.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... es-12.html

1 Day Ago
- Polyphonic analog synth
- Big sound
- Memory
- Step sequencer with motion recording (I think) / Arp
- Affordable
- Multiple VCO interactions
- A filter that can toggle between 2 and 4 pole operation
- Nice modulation routings
- Interesting mono modes that use the extra voices creatively (unison with detune, multiple sub-oscillators, chord mode...)
- 2,8 kg
- Has a keyboard
- More compact than a Mopho X4
- Plenty of knobs that aren't tightly squeezed together (metal-shaft too)
- Small screen
- Aluminium faceplate
- Not by Arturia
- By a manufacturer somewhere between Arturia and Waldorf, alphabetically speaking.

This list is adapted from a series of teasing posts by audiofanzine's (French website) main synth reviewer, who seems to have something quite interesting in his hands that should show up at NAMM.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Angstrom wrote:I wonder if its time for that Behringer/Midas polysynth yet.

From Gearslutz.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... es-12.html

1 Day Ago
- Polyphonic analog synth
- Big sound
- Memory
- Step sequencer with motion recording (I think) / Arp
- Affordable
- Multiple VCO interactions
- A filter that can toggle between 2 and 4 pole operation
- Nice modulation routings
- Interesting mono modes that use the extra voices creatively (unison with detune, multiple sub-oscillators, chord mode...)
- 2,8 kg
- Has a keyboard
- More compact than a Mopho X4
- Plenty of knobs that aren't tightly squeezed together (metal-shaft too)
- Small screen
- Aluminium faceplate
- Not by Arturia
- By a manufacturer somewhere between Arturia and Waldorf, alphabetically speaking.

This list is adapted from a series of teasing posts by audiofanzine's (French website) main synth reviewer, who seems to have something quite interesting in his hands that should show up at NAMM.
Looks tasty!

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:19 am

I WANT SOMETHING TO GET EXCITED ABOUT

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:26 am

Kontakt 6 is supposed to be a huge update and the rumor is early spring on that so maybe a showing at NAMM? Update is supposed to be huge and long over due. But we gots our cool sampler now.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:52 am

I would love to see a Kontakt update, please lol.

login

Post by login » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:13 am

I would like an Elektron Analog 8 Keys with 61 keys. Or a Roland system 9 with 61 keys, 8 voices and ability to load two plug outs.

Or surprise me with a VA or analog poly with 61 keys and some nice features and sound.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:18 am

login wrote:I would like an Elektron Analog 8 Keys with 61 keys. Or a Roland system 9 with 61 keys, 8 voices and ability to load two plug outs.

Or surprise me with a VA or analog poly with 61 keys and some nice features and sound.
Here here!

Though I doubt I would be able to afford it lol...

DEEMUSIC

Post by DEEMUSIC » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:10 am

I'd like to see a new Styles RMX be announced, now that is over due also.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:18 am

DEEMUSIC wrote:I'd like to see a new Styles RMX be announced, now that is over due also.

I have also been waiting on this, its the only Spectrasonics product I do not own. I would be an instant customer...

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:40 am

NAMM 16 Sneak Peaks...

Lifeforms Modular Synthesizer-

Harvestman Stillson Hammer Sequencer -

The Harvestman Sequencer For Eurorack Modular Synthesizer-

Sputnik Modular Dual Multisegment Function Generator-

Is This The Return Of The E-Mu Modular? (Rossum Electro Music)-

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/tag/2016-namm-show/

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:20 am

Tarekith wrote:The only rumor I've heard is a new Roland groove box sampler, but it's only a rumor.

It would be a dream if Roland and Yamaha introduced a new standalone Performance oriented dedicated Pattern Sequencer, sounds optional.

61Key and Desktop Modes

For example
Yamaha RM2X: Modular Performance Sequencer For Ableton (and Standalone)
I would sell my liver and pay $1799 for this product and extra $x for upgrades

4 Midi Outputs - Control up to 4 external Midi devices simultaneously
2 Midi Inputs - For External DIN MIDI keyboard or DIN MIDI Controllers or midi pass thru with other hardware
1 USB Host out Port (with Transport controller script for Ableton and other daws)
128 Midi Channels (64 Hard Channels for external hardware, 64 Soft Channels with 4 Virtual MIDI device I/O through USB)
4 USB MIDI Controller inputs (for example supports Akai Pads, Novation pad/Korg Nanocontrollers etc)
16 Dedicated Scene/Track Select Buttons (shift+track select or doubletap track select)
16 Dedicated Mute/Solo Buttons (multichannel assignable) (optional enable or disable double-tap Soloin mute mode or Shift+Solo)
8 Dedicate Mute/Solo group buttons (multichannel assignable)
4 Dedicated Faders (each Midi Channel has seperate assignment) (Default CC11(expression) and CC7 (volume) default, CC91 (reverb Send), CC93(Chorus Send)
4 Dedicated Knobs per Midi Channel with AB switching (Default A switch CC71 = Cutoff, CC74 = Resonance, Filter EG Depth, Filter Decay/Release, default B, ADSR envelope)
1 dedicated CS6X ribbon - default assign to Ableton A|B crossfader
1 Dedicated Mod Wheel (re-assignable)
1 Dedicated PB wheel (re-assignable)
1 Horizontal controller joy stick with center justification (like on Novation 49SL)
Seemless Step, Realtime recording mode per channel with instant access to mute
2 Volume Knobs - a. Master volume, b. DAW master volume (reasonable to Cue/Metronome Volume)
Dedicated - Shift+Metronome button toggles between (off, record only, playback, always on)
PPQ Engine options - 24, 48, 480, 960 PPQ ((24PPQ for the quantize purist))
Global MIDI panic button next to volume knob
Shift + MIDI Panic button per channel control
2 dedicated tempo nudge buttons and 1 dedicated endless rotary tempo knob with 'Coarse' and '(shift) Fine' tempo adjustments
Korg/Akai/Novation controller support (add more pads, knobs, faders, etc)

Ultimate Performance Transport with
Realtime synchronized BPM Manipulation without skipping a beat

[ TAP ] [ ?- ] [ ?? ] [ ? ] [ ?/?? ] [ ? ] [ ?? ] [ ? ] >> [ B P M ] | [ M:B:Q ] << [ Tempo Wheel ] [ < Nudge > ]
Each transport button is rugged for your mashing pleasure.

[ B P M ] - Dedicated LED BPM Indicator in 000.00 format - Has a red blinking diode beat indicator next to LED panel
[ M:B:Q ] - Dedicated LCD for Measure: Bar: Beat: Pulse (Quarter note) MM:BB:BB:PP OR [SMPTE] (HH:MM:SS:MS) (Beat/
[ < Nudge > ] - This is a 'L/R' button that nudges tempo up or down momentarily, this is good for syncing tempos with records or other sequencers

"?-" - TOP - Instantly go beck to beginning of Section pattern beat 1:1:0. (first sends panic command then 20ms delay back to top to prevent hanging notes) - good for 'Hip Hop' style pattern reset.

"??" - Rewinds 1 Bar at a time, each successive tap rewinds bars - good for speedy editing in middle of bar selection - Shift + "??" will instantly drop the sequencer to 50% BPM momentary switch, lifting your finger the sequencer will instantly playback from its "normal" timeline beat. This is perfect for real-time beat manipulation.

"?" - Slows down Tempo , the longer you hold this button down, the faster the tempo drops | Shift + "?" will momentarily PLAY BACK IN REVERSE In Tempo (Like on AN200/DX200 reverse/forward sequencer) (Note: or Ableton, this will use a two Beat Repeat (reverse) ghost tracks on 33,34 up to 2 bars in reverse, can customize up to 8 reverse) Ghost 1: Drum Tracks only, Ghost 2: Instrument Tracks only) - This is really good for breaking up beats, reversing instruments or both at the same time. Letting it go will resume playback location without skipping a beat :)

"?/??"- Typical Play/Pause transport Button - Tapping the "?/??" will 'play and pause' as expected, Holding down the "?/??" button will increase tempo during playback without pausing, the longer you hold down "?/??" the faster the tempo increases, tapping or holding Shift+"?/??" during pause state will play the sequencer as a momentary switch and instantly stops when you lift your finger, this is good so you can easily stutter playback like stopping a record on a turntable then letting it play again while the rotar is spinning in realtime. Holding "?-" then tapping "?/??" will start the pattern at 20BPM then fade up to standard tempo, this is perfect for tempo fade in, or like a record slowly starting to get back to beat.

"?" - Stop transport - Tapping "?" will stop playback in position, Holding down "?" during playback slowly fades the MASTER volume and when you lift your finger sequencer stops completely. When you hold both the "?" + "?" buttons at same time, he sequencer slows down AND volume fades, perfect for ending a song or a live set. Holding Shift+"?" will be a False Stop effect (MOMENTARILY MUTE) the output (with custom volume envelopes). This is perfect for building a silent break a few beats before DROPPING THE BASS. Tapping "?" again will reset pattern position to 1:1.

"??" - Fast Forward - Tapping "??" will instantly progress to next measure during plyback or during pause. Shift + "??" will instantly BPM 200% momentary switch, lifting your finger will resume original tempo and original timeline position, this is perfect for real time beat manipulation.

"?" - Record Toggle - Tapping "?" will record midi to armed tracks, Tapping again will turn recording off, but tracks are still armed, this is perfect for PUNCH IN and PUNCHOUT. Holding down "?" + MIDI Channel will arm the MIDI track for recording (you can arm multiple MIDI tracks at the same time), lifting your finger will not enable record mode yet (you still must tap it). Shift + "?" will toggle between "Overdub" or "Overwrite" Midi modes.

"TAP" - TAP BUTTON - a. TAP change Tempo in Realtime b. SHift+Tap to View Tempo without Changing Playback tempo (this can be reversed too), Holding down the TAP button will RESTORE ORIGINAL SCENE TEMPO, this is perfect if you did lots of BPM manipulation, but wnat to restore original BPM. Every scene has a "default BPM" which the tap button will easily adjust to. This is perfect for changing tempos between two different songs in your set (using the A/B crossfade)

TEMPO WHEEL - Dedicated temp wheel will +/- BPM in increments of 1, the faster you spin the dial BPM with increment in 3, Holding SHIFT+TEMPO WHEEL will nudge tempo in .1 BPM segemnts, but you can also customize .01BPM segements for more surgical bpm.

(Note: or Ableton, you must create special reverse clips on Ghost tracks)

Convert Live Clips to Internal HW
Perform your Ableton Live Set WITHOUT a COMPUTER! - Freezes ALL clips in the RM2X ableton template and loads each frozen track to its internal playback engine Y: drive (which is user up-gradable).

Seemless Ableton Set Song Transitions with 0 LOAD TIME!
a. Ableton Template has 256 Scenes, Each song is preassigned to 16 Scenes TRACKS on Crossfade A - and 16 Tracks on Crossfade B
b. Native Controller has instant access to 1 of 16 songs
c. Crossfade A and Crossfade B can have different 'song' assignments AT THE SAME TIME
d. While Perform Song A on Channel (1-16), load up SONG B on CrossFade B (Channels 17-32)
e. End Song A by Cross Fading using the ribbon crosfade controller from A to B (or blend as you please)
f. After moving ribbon all the way to the right B region, only B is playing
g. While SOng B is playing, Cue up new SONG on "A" on Channel (1-16) and when Song on "B" ends, crossfade back to A
h. The Song/Scene Controller on the unit will automatically compensate "scene" number offset, so suppose first song is loaded on Scene 1-16 on ableton, you can play Scene 17-32 at the same time as scene 1-16 on "B" crossfade channel.
i. Mute Solo buttons are the SAME on 1-16 and 17-32

Display
Channel Activity like on Rm1x/RS7000 provides awesome feedback
Dedicated Activity diodes for MIDI channels 1-32 (transposable in units of 8 using shift command)
- Diode row a = Note Activity blink, row b = modulation/cc blink, row c= pb/mw activity blink

Third Party iPad/Android developer Support (via usb connection)

Arpeggio and Chord Styleizer
Chord Stylizers for Techno, Europop, Rock, Hiphop, Ragge, Swing, Ballad, etc. a feature borrowed from many keyboard arrangers - good for instant com rhythmic +bass +harmony accompanyment positional ideas. This works on linked GM AWM2 PCM sounds by default, can be used on external sounds.

Ableton Template built to support the following
LIVE SET TEMPLATE
'256 Scenes' grouped in sets of 16
48 Channels Default
1-8 Dedicated to Drums, 9-16 Dedicated to Instruments with 9 being dedicated Bass Channel all set to crossfade A, 17-32 same series set to to Crossfade B, 33-48 = misc channels for recording and other stuff
All scenes all Quantized to 'Bars'
16 Scene Groups are selected via 16 (song) scene buttons
16 Scenes are selected via scene buttons
Each group of scans include the following
2 Intro Scenes (typically 8,12 or 16 bars), 2 filler scenes (typically 2 to 8 bars), 4 main loop scenes (typically 8-32 bars), 4 bridge/chorus scenes, 4 Fill Scenes (usually 1 or 2 bars) all quantifiable by Measure for complete song construction and playback

4 Optional PCM Board Upgrades
• Yamaha AWM2 PCM loaded natively - dedicated DX200/AN200 PCM patches and GM friendly
• CS6x Sound Card (64 PCM Voices) (Lots of EDM patches)
• DXFM Sound Card (16 Voice 6-OP Synthesizer)
• AN200 Sound Card (10 Voice Dual Osc Analog Synthesizer)
• VL Sound Card (5 Voice EX5 VL Synth Engine)
• Motif GM Sound Card (64 PCM Voices) (Lots of Bread n Butter patches)

Optional DSP Board Upgrades
• Dual Core Card DSP booster
• Quad Core Card DSP booster
• Hex Core Card DSP booster

SSD Upgrade
• On Board 128GB M.2 PCIe SSD are dirt cheap now, upgradable to 512GB using Format and Cloning kit - this will store samples natively
• USB Drive is Y:\ for file management

ON Board DSP Processing
• 32 Stereo Audio Channels (16 Native, 16 over USB)
• Gain/Pan/EQ/Compressor per track
• Send Effects: Dynamic (Stutter, Compressor, Gate, Limiter), Filters (Analog, EQ), Delay (Digital, Tape, Phaser, Flanger, Chorus), Rectifier (Tube, Amp, Cabenet, Distortion, Overdrive), Pitch (Auto Tune, Bender)

Seemless Ableton Set Song Transitions with 0 LOAD TIME!

Optional Expo board slot for
2x XLR/TRS aDAD inputs with 8x oversampling, resolution up to 96k/24
4x XLR/TRS DA outputs for monitors/mixing
Low Latency USB 2.0 Audio Driver
2x ADAT ports for up to 16 additional analog inputs
SPDIF for connecting to external lexicon rack

16 Dedicated Pattern Buttons:
(16 Live Set switches >> 16 Song switches >> 16 Scene switches)

16 Dedicated Mute Buttons:
16 Mute buttons - all assignable
Shift + Solo on up to 16 tracks

8 Dedicated Mute/Solo Buttons:
8 Macro Knobs

Roland Groove Box (new Generation)
Same thing as above, jx305 arppegiator, quantizing, w30 like kb phrase sequencing, and fast input options

Yamaha Rm1x and Roland JX305/MC505 are by far my favorite Hardware Sequencers (excluding not onboard sounds).

Rm1x has the best interface with LIVE performance functions that rivals Ableton Live in a performance setting. It has instant 'Scene Switching' (16 dedicated Scene Switching Buttons' 4 Intro loop buttons, 4 Main Loop Buttons, 4 Break Down Buttons, and 4 'one bar fill' butons, and it has 6 Dedicated Assignable Mute Butons (for example Bass + Drums Only, Melody + Bass Only, etc)

RM1X Sequencer Video
(I am using RM1x sequencer to sequence Beats and Strings in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x0onoRvZlQ)

Roland JX-305 has the best 'make realtime ideas now' functions that rivals Push and Machines input methods- It's programmable arpeggiator is unrivaled for instant composing of basslines/drum patterns in keyboard form and it has built in 'smart quantizer' settings that when used properly can create the perfect Midi Velocity and Timing offsets from otherwise generic step input patterns.

JX-305 Sequencer Video
(I made a song from scratch in about 25 minutes in this video using 90% JX-305 only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgo6Tbw1CKg)

I like hooking them up to external midi keyboards and modules.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:41 am

EDIT: For those that cant scroll through long quotes :twisted:

What Miekwave said!!! (I'm assuming it's a really awesome theoretical product)

I just subscribed to your youtube channel and soundcloud (I think it's you) because this post is so over the top ridiculously awesome lol.
Last edited by sana48 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.