Ms surface pro 4 and Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Enorc vs Robot

Ms surface pro 4 and Ableton?

Post by Enorc vs Robot » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:05 pm

I'm considering the surface pro 4 and ableton. Wondering if anyone has this setup and what the experience has been? I'd love to have a tablet I could put tracks onto to work on in a tablet format for things like long flights and sitting on the couch. Also, if anyone has experience with JamStix and ableton, would really love to hear about it!

J0n35y

Re: Ms surface pro 4 and Ableton?

Post by J0n35y » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:28 pm

Hoping this thread gets some attention. I'm due a laptop upgrade/replacement in the coming weeks/months and a Surface Pro 4 has me pretty interested.

I'm holding off to see what the next 13 inch Macbook Pro's bring to the table though (being a student, the 15% off makes a huge difference!!!)

ChangoM

Post by ChangoM » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm in the same boat. The Surface Pro 4 or follow-on will be my next portable for field production. I'd like to see how usable the touch features in Windows 10 will be within Live.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:07 pm

At the moment, Ableton doesn't seem to be implementing any touch features, which is a shame.

Clips are pretty small triggers (the play button within a rectangle), and you need to change control settings in order to use touch on faders. Plus there is not any multi-touch.

As for the computers themselves. They'll open and run Live, and probably be able to handle very few instances of super CPU heavy vsts, but should handle alright for starting a project. I mean, if you work light, you can most likely do a full composition without issue. But since everything is gradually becoming more and more CPU intensive (including Live), and people get towards the 25+ track number (and a few might have racks), then it becomes very challenging for the smaller computers to keep up.

Actually, if you search surface, there is at least one thread where people talked about the specs of surface 4 when it came out.

I'd love for Ableton to implement touch-friendly features in Live.

rasaban

Post by rasaban » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:23 am

J0n35y wrote:Hoping this thread gets some attention. I'm due a laptop upgrade/replacement in the coming weeks/months and a Surface Pro 4 has me pretty interested.

I'm holding off to see what the next 13 inch Macbook Pro's bring to the table though (being a student, the 15% off makes a huge difference!!!)
Good luck I just ordered another laptop. I have an ASUS laptop/convertible but I'm getting a Custom lap from Velocity Micro http://www.velocitymicro.com/notemagix- ... hp?iid=244..... I7 with SSD 500GB (I have a 1TB USB 3 external )16 GB mem NO BLOATWARE just the OS (Win 10)1 USB port 3 USB 3 ports 1 ESATA port $ 1,300 Should have Next week......Giving my litte girl the old one. I give you my thoughts
soon. :P

peace
Aban
Last edited by rasaban on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzen 5 20g mem 500g sata ssd 500g nvme ssd Push 2
I7 Win 10 laptop,16g mem, 500g SSD, Live Suite 10.0.1 ,U-he Ace,Hive Zebra,SynthMaster Synthmaster One, AVP Avenger
Most of the Sonic Faction: Tricky Traps,Polytek,Dope Matrix etc.

sopwith

Post by sopwith » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:55 am

I've been using Live 9 on a Surface Pro 2 with an RME Babyface, and it works very very well. If you want touch control, look into SmithsonMartin's Emulator Pro software - lets you make custom control interfaces and then midi map them to any Ableton parameters.

The crucial part for Surface is enabling the High Performance power option - otherwise you don't have quite enough CPU available to make the most of Live. Once you enable it, you're good to go. I run all sorts of VSTs, including very CPU hungry synths like Diva. Works fine.

mkell424

Post by mkell424 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:05 pm

For the same price of a Surface you can get a powerful laptop with more memory and large hard drive.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:21 pm

Nice piece of hardware (they did something right) but wicked pricey...$1500 base line model, and maxxed out is $3200 I think or somewhere close to that. That's a shit ton of money to drop on a laptop/tablet unless you're making serious coin to recoup the investment. But again, I've played with a Surface 3 and it's nice, but lacking multiple USB ports, you may get 2, 3 tops on the 4 but I haven't looked at it's specs that closely. The 3 had 2, one regular size, other mini...so you'd be needing a good hub for connectivity to outboard gears...just my opinion.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

justinedsell

Post by justinedsell » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:06 am

I'm using it right now sp4 i5 256 8gb and this isn't really new. Surfaceproaudio gives a whole break down. People spend more on Macs. its way lighter but about the same specs and I prefer windows

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:23 pm

ableton devs seem to be apple fanboy. no hope... :?

kirillov

Post by kirillov » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:15 pm

hey there,
does anyone has expierience to use a surface pro with an USB-hub?
I mean, would an audio interface + push + keyboard controller work?
thanks!

markwphoto

Post by markwphoto » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:22 am

I've been using a Surface Pro 4, with a Sabrent 4 port, powered USB hub with Push 2, a Focusrite 2i4, a Logitech M570 Mouse and a Razer Tartarus Gaming Keypad all connected with no issues. I also have an M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 but I typically don't use this with my SP4. I think the biggest thing with using the SP4 with a USB hub is to make sure it is a powered hub! Otherwise your devices will end up fighting for power if you have too much on the single port.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:19 am

Enorc vs Robot wrote: Also, if anyone has experience with JamStix and ableton, would really love to hear about it!
i messed with jamstix for couple of years. never could get it to sound realistic. fact is no one can. i've heard countless tracks made with jamstix...none were convincing. what really sux is i can't resell it

jamstix samples are useable, but Slate and NI Studio Drummer have way better samples

you're better off collecting midi files played in by real drummers and using upscale drum samplers. and re-arranging midi files to fit your songs is more fun than watching jamstim jumble around

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:28 pm

If you want to have touch support switch to Bitwig. They added features just for this purpose and used a Surface Pro 3 to demo it.

If Ableton doesn't jump on multi-touch in 10 I think I'm going to ditch it and go for Bitwig.

Being able to write tunes on the couch, in bed, in the car, on a train, plane, upside down hanging from your feet like a bat, or taking a huge dump and hammering out beats just sounds and smells like too much fun not to try. :lol: