MIDI Hub/Interface that works with Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Statwerk

MIDI Hub/Interface that works with Ableton?

Post by Statwerk » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi,

I have been looking at various MOTU MIDI 'Interface Utilities' -- basically a hub that collects and distributes MIDI (e.g. MIDISPORT or MOTU MIDI Timepiece).

Has anyone found such a device that does work with Ableton?

I have found only negative reviews on all models that I have researched.

Would prefer a MOTU, but can be flexible. Would prefer 5-8 devices.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Richie Witch

Re: MIDI Hub/Interface that works with Ableton?

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:01 am

I have the MOTU MIDI Express XT and have never had an issue with it on my Win 7 rig, and I've had it for over two years. I know there was a time back in the "Mark of the Unicorn" days when there were problems, but if you buy one of their modern USB MIDI hubs, you should be fine.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:45 am

Richie Witch wrote:I have the MOTU MIDI Express XT and have never had an issue with it on my Win 7 rig, and I've had it for over two years. I know there was a time back in the "Mark of the Unicorn" days when there were problems, but if you buy one of their modern USB MIDI hubs, you should be fine.
I have the MOTU MIDI Express 128. There have been occasional and intermittent problems but they are few and they are far between. Generally fixed by unplugging the unit then plugging back in. I think in the 5 or 6 years I've had the unit I had to un/re install the driver once.

Highly recommended two thumbs up and YMMV. :)
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

Statwerk

Post by Statwerk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:55 am

Perfect!

That answers my question and I am really glad that I asked! I had my eye on a used MOTU Timepiece (Unicorn), unit at Guitar Center.

Many Thanks!!!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:05 am

MOTU MTP AV here, no issues at all. I can't think of a single issue I've had with MOTU MIDI gear? M-Audio a few, including sloooow updates on drivers, like over a year or more after an OS comes out.

Statwerk

Post by Statwerk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:34 am

NICE!!! That is the model I was looking at! MOTU MTP AV! I may try that -- the new models are INSANELY NICE, but, as once might expect, equally expensive.

Thanks!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:22 pm

Statwerk wrote:the new models are INSANELY NICE, but, as once might expect, equally expensive.
eBay and Craig's List are your friends here. I paid $120 for my MIDI Express XT on Craig's List It has far more capabilities than I'll ever use, but at that price, it was too good to pass up, and much cheaper than even the Express 128, which was the model I was shopping for.

Statwerk

Post by Statwerk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:41 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean there.

The high-end MOTUs are INSANE!

All of the ability to coordinate and program eight MIDI Controllable Devices all from a single, simple GUI is astounding.

That can be good and bad, though.

These are things that most 'mere mortals' would probably never use, but they are amazing tools that could be added to your tool-box and once assimilated into your arsenal, you would probably find yourself asking, 'How did I live without this'? (in which case you have substantially upped the ante and nothing with less functionality will ever feel adequate again).

I have never bought any gear from either e-bay or craigslist.

Have always been afraid of throwing a large sum of money into a lemon with no recourse.

What I like about GuitarCenter is that they allow you to purchase Protection Plans on used equipment -- unheard of anywhere else.

But it all boils down to math.

If you can get the item for 1/3 of the price at GC and 1/6 of retail price and there is only a small chance that it will be damaged, then it won't take long for things to level out and display a trend that is definitively in your favor.

That has got to be a 'Party Foul' -- talking 'math' in a 'music forum'.

Ehhh -- it's what I do for a living, (hence my 'DJ Name', StatWerk).

Really good and informative thread!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:17 pm

Yeah, you're right, you have to shop smart.

When I buy from Craig's List, I never buy without testing the unit in front of the seller. And I let them know I'm going to do this ahead of time. I bring headphones or a MIDI keyboard or a laptop with drivers, appropriate cables, whatever I think I will need--I have been burned once, but only once.

As for eBay, if the seller does not accept returns, eBay has their own protection plan in place and they will refund your money if you can show that you did not receive the fully-functional unit that was advertised. I have never lost money on eBay and I've never had to use the protection plan.

Now add to that that I have a largely hardware-based studio; I'm in electrical engineer IRL, so I can't resist hardware. I have three hardware synths, two analog mixers, a half-dozen pieces of outboard gear and FX, a 30U studio rack, a large studio desk, three MIDI controllers, both closed-back and open-back studio headphones, a nice pair of studio monitors, and a half-dozen decent mics--and I purchased every last piece of it used. I've paid half or (considerably) less for everything in my studio. Couldn't have afforded it otherwise.

And like I said, I've only been burned once... do the math! :lol:

Statwerk

Post by Statwerk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Yeah, no doubt!

I am moving move towards hardware solutions for many things, mainly because wisely chosen hardware not only provides superior performance but it also simplifies your life.

Which is easier and more likely to provide better work with less time and mental energy?
** One or a few hardware synths that can do everything you need or dozens of VSTs that you have to wade through and audition hundreds of patches and probably ultimately settling on one, largely at random, because you have so many stinking patches that it becomes largely, if not entirely, impossible to keep up with in your brain (lord knows I don't have the mental energy for that (and really don't want to))
** One good 'Mixer' (my MOTU 828 Hybrid effectively doubles as a mixer and an audio interface), with high quality EQ, Compression, Reverb, etc. or dozens of VSTs in each of these categories

Etc, ad infinitum.

Granted, if neither Time, Money nor Mental Energy are an issue for you, then by all means amass as many High-End, Specialty VSTs as you care to install and deal with.

I tried that route.

Wasn't working for me.

Spent all my time looking for stuff, organizing stuff, comparing and contrasting stuff (either literally by actually auditioning and attempting to 'hear' the differences or figuratively by trying to envision the contrast in my head).

WAY too much time and energy.

Trading in all VSTs (figuratively), for a Novation MiniNova (Plus Six Free Expansion Packs), a VoiceLive Rack Vocal Processer, a MOTU 828 Hybrid Audio Interface and [please don't cringe], one or a few Behringer Visualizer 3D Units (71 Effects on two Stereo Channels per unit round out all the effects that I need that MOTU 828 does not provide).

Keeping Ableton (of course), Push, Akai MPK 61 (in case I need a serious keyboard, which will play into MiniNova anyway), Behringer BCF2000 (soon to be replaced by x-touch) and Izotope Alloy 2 as my main 'Mixing' platform, BreakTweaker as my main 'Drum' Platform and Trash 2 as my main 'Mangling' Platform.

Boom, Boom, Chop, Chop.

That will be my new arsenal and I bet I will be able to make 5 times as much music that will ultimately sound better and do it in less than half the time.

It's like Christmas all over again!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Statwerk wrote:Boom, Boom, Chop, Chop.

That will be my new arsenal and I bet I will be able to make 5 times as much music that will ultimately sound better and do it in less than half the time.

It's like Christmas all over again!
Sounds like a lot of fun! 8)