NAMM 16 - Rumors and Hopeful Products?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sana48

Re: NAMM 16 - Rumors and Hopeful Products?

Post by sana48 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 pm

French startup Expressive E will be introducing Touché, described as an innovative controller with unmatched sensitivity ..

not much info though

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/ ... ontroller/

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:41 pm

sana48 wrote:French startup Expressive E will be introducing Touché, described as an innovative controller with unmatched sensitivity ..

not much info though

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/ ... ontroller/
If it's an MPE device like a Roli Seaboard or a Linnstrument then it's not going to be compatible with Ableton Live. Because we don't have the required poly midi stuff, no per note expression, no polyafter touch and also blocked sysex, no native OSC etc. So a lot of these new devices don't really work with Live

I guess they could surprise us with a Live 10 at NAMM though. Eh guys? Guys?
*cough*

sana48

Post by sana48 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:26 am

Angstrom wrote:So a lot of these new devices don't really work with Live

Bummer

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:18 am

I pretty convinced (based on no information) that Ableton will jump into MPE as soon as they can, but seeing as we only just got 9.5 I'm assuming Live 10 is a way off yet. Or it could be that 9.5 is a beta for the technology which will power an imminent L10. Who knows?

You have to think that as Ableton themselves have a device which outputs a ton of poly-aftertouch ... and they just hosted a "multi touch" kind of event, and invited Roger Linn and many others in this field that you'd have to assume they will be looking over at how Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Bitwig and all the others are handling this stuff and feel just a liiiiitle behind the curve. Especially, as I said - they actually manufacture a poly-aftertouch controller! The second edition even !!!!!
8O :?

However, considering their odd aversion to providing interfaces to functions we may wait a while for this to hit their GUI. These are the people who think that a "snap to grid" toggle is too fussy.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:28 am

sana48 wrote:
Angstrom wrote:So a lot of these new devices don't really work with Live

Bummer
MPE is without question the future and Ableton will have to implement this soon

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:10 am

Angstrom wrote:
You have to think that as Ableton themselves have a device which outputs a ton of poly-aftertouch ... and they just hosted a "multi touch" kind of event, and invited Roger Linn and many others in this field that you'd have to assume they will be looking over at how Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Bitwig and all the others are handling this stuff and feel just a liiiiitle behind the curve.
Indeed :)

chrtessa

Post by chrtessa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:41 am

I try to collect all news on this site

http://theabletonexprerience.blogspot.fr/

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:25 am

Continuing rumblings about that mystery 4 voice "analogue" from earlier in the thread. its a "Korg Minilogue". Yep. the strange unbelievable "lots of knobs and an oscilloscope". Has proven to be true.

Click this animated oscilloscope instagram now. It will go away.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BARcS9HtwGR/

---

Edit.

OK, this looks ... Pretty sexy!

-----

ROBOT TRANSLATION

KORG Minilogue - is a fully programmable, 4-voice polyphonic synthesizer, is also equipped with built-in reverb and delay effects. KORG company offers the best way to get acquainted with a unique, stunning features of the analog synthesizer. Synthesizer has a unique analog engine, quick access to the 100 factory 100 user presets, 8 voice mode to create its configuration of 4 votes - unison, polyphony, and so on. The front panel 41 of the controller to configure and quick change function, the oscilloscope in real time gives a visual check of sound, 16-step sequencer with automation polyphonic up to 4 parameters synthesizer and more.

For switching visible plugs Sync In and Sync Out to work with synthesizers lines and Electribe Volca.
It should be noted that the presented model has a better price, and opportunities compared to competing models. Synthesizer fully programmable, has a high sound quality, control over harmonics waveform changes, the use of cross modulation, and more. The possibility of using a 16-step sequencer with recording automation options. Polyphonic Synthesizer KORG Minilogue will be an excellent acquisition and profitable investment for keyboard players, professional and amateur musicians."

---

The rumoured price is $500

8O

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:54 am

Sexy for sure and well within an average budget. .

Hmmm

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:54 am

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:12 pm

King Korg Jr. :)
Tarekith wrote:Image

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:23 pm

So this Minilogue looks good to me because I like having a poly analogue around and my Mono/Poly is poorly and needs capacitors replacing and I'm too pressed for time to do it. So this looks decent so far.

The other rumor is a Karp 2600 (basically an Arp 2600 clone) and I assume it'll be at 2/3rds scale because we are all smaller in the future.

I'm going to break with convention here and say that as "amazing" as the 2600 was when it was released I feel that it's all a bit limited to be fetishising this. I mean - sure we can all enjoy the haptics of the interface and the nice rich "classic" analogue oscillators, State of the art for the 1970s but they had limited tech back then, and how much do you still want to sound like a 1970s Canadian educational film? Is anyone really going crazy for 3 osc monophonic sample-and-hold sounds with resonant ladder LPF ?

I feel like west coast wavefolding is less played out, and the smaller eurorack players (Intelijell, Makenoise, etc.) are demonstrating what modern analogue/digital hybrids can do, components and manufacturing have made massive strides in the last 40 years! I hope somebody will encapsulate some of these forward thinking and modern uses of technology into one mass-produced unit.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Angstrom wrote:So this Minilogue looks good to me because I like having a poly analogue around and my Mono/Poly is poorly and needs capacitors replacing and I'm too pressed for time to do it. So this looks decent so far.

The other rumor is a Karp 2600 (basically an Arp 2600 clone) and I assume it'll be at 2/3rds scale because we are all smaller in the future.

I'm going to break with convention here and say that as "amazing" as the 2600 was when it was released I feel that it's all a bit limited to be fetishising this. I mean - sure we can all enjoy the haptics of the interface and the nice rich "classic" analogue oscillators, State of the art for the 1970s but they had limited tech back then, and how much do you still want to sound like a 1970s Canadian educational film? Is anyone really going crazy for 3 osc monophonic sample-and-hold sounds with resonant ladder LPF ?

I feel like west coast wavefolding is less played out, and the smaller eurorack players (Intelijell, Makenoise, etc.) are demonstrating what modern analogue/digital hybrids can do, components and manufacturing have made massive strides in the last 40 years! I hope somebody will encapsulate some of these forward thinking and modern uses of technology into one mass-produced unit.
I hear you for sure. I just purchased the Arturia V-Collection, because I owned a couple products from them I got it for $99. Too good of a deal to pass up.
I mention this because I have the Oberheim Xpander, basically a 6 voice Matrix 12, and Arturias last replication was the Matrix 12. I have a few factory presets in the machine still, and so I could compare the two side by side. They of course don't sound dead on the same, but it's a dammed good emulation, the filters sound great etc. Mostly what seams to be missing is low end rumble that in a lot of cases would have to be EQ'd out of a busy mix anyway, and of course no two analogs sound exactly the same so it's a win from Arturia I think. Yes, that gives the hardware Xpander a lush sound that in some ways adds to the mythology of analog for sure, but is it a viable reason to spend $2200+++++++ over $199?

..and yeah owning some old analogs it's funny reading the kinds of almost godlike qualities people ascribe to them. Here's my clincher though, can anyone really say that anything by Kraftwerk stands the test of time past Computer world? I think if Kraftwerk came out with their best albums past 1985 we wouldn't have paid as much attention to them. that sort of stripped down robot techno just doesn't sound that great when the instruments are dead accurate.
With that in mind though I think a lot of newer analogs miss the plot in terms of the sound, it's not just fuzzy oscillators and warm filters, it's the way they don't stay in tune etc. Huge is the word, Gary Numan pre synth described first being introduced to a Minimoog and it having a huge growl to it.

With that said though I don't know how much I'll use the analog stuff in the V-Collection? I got it for the Matrix 12 and the Spark drum machine really. Right now my favorite softsynths are Falcon and Loom, definitely not analog emulations.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:39 pm

Oh, and I would be a sucker for a 2600 hardware at a decent price point, fully admit that.
Realistically though a small modular set up is 1000x more flexible,

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:06 am

All this looks great...