Controlling Reason and Live with one Midi Controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Hulk

Controlling Reason and Live with one Midi Controller

Post by The Hulk » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:58 pm

Does anyone know how I could turn off certain MidiControl functions in Reason, so it doesn't conflict with controls I've set in Live when working in Rewire? I use an Edirol PCR-30 controller. Because even the the Midilearn in Reason is specified as off, The PCR knobs still controls some synth parameters that I'd rather allocate to Live.

DJADD

Reason, Live, MIDI

Post by DJADD » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:31 pm

Is the Edirol PCR-30 a USB device? You may have to check the MIDI implemention chart in Reason, and then set a different MIDI channel to train Live parameters.

Perhaps channels 15 and 16 are available to program Live functions?
Hopefully the Edirol PCR-30 is easy to switch channels on. Just an idea.

Hey, they have a bunch of pre-programmed parameters at the edirol site.

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcr ... _maps.html

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:37 pm

Yea, the PCR 30 is a usb device, but it also has MIDI in and Out. What I'd really like to do is specifiy Reason not to use some of the knobs and faders so I can dedicate them to Live. I think it's the Midi Learn...but really what I need is Midi "unlearn" in Reason.

DJADD

reason manual

Post by DJADD » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:54 pm

I was just reading thru the newest reason manual, 2.5, it looks like you can't disable the midi going into reason, all the devices are set to automatically respond to various controller messages, from what I gathered.

You'd have to look in the MIDI implementation charts.

My solution was to get a Midisport 4x4 and put different devices on seperate inputs, but that was after I decided I was adding more gear to my setup.

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:19 pm

yea, that's gonna be my solution. I'm just gonna dedicate my PCR to Reason and get an Evolution UC 33 for Live control. Seem kinda suck that I have to get more gear when I didn't think I'd need to though.

DJADD

more gear

Post by DJADD » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:03 am

I learned something... you can't have enought gear...

I started with my mk249c evolution keyboard...

That turned into:
-the keyboard
-1 Control Freak Studio Edition
-2 Niche Automation Station Fader Boxes
-Korg EM-1
-DrumKAT Percussion Controller
-TrapKAT Percussion Controller
-DK10 Percussion Controller (not utilized all the way yet)

it never ends!

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:54 am

When using the PCR-30, you can select the input as the PCR-30 itself or its midi input, which is treated as a separate device. I've got a Pocket Dial and have used that to control Live while using the PCR-30 to control Reason without any overlappin controls.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Read "Mulitple Midi Controllers" post

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:48 am

Read "Mulitple Midi Controllers" post, it has info on free software to use one midi controller to control mulitple apps and even selectively filter which app gets what commands.

Ryan

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:52 am

I'll look for that post. Any idea when that was posted?
And in response to using the PCR as Midi instead of usb...do you just hit a switch on the PCR to go back and forth?

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:39 am

Does anybody have the Remote 25, I been waiting for it to come out just so that I could use it with Live and Reason at the same time via rewire, would hate to have all of those knobs, faders, and buttons go to waste. I know that the remote has template buttons so that you can call up controllers for several templates (I think 4) with 4 hotkeys does anybody know if that would work, just switching the template quicly based on the screen that you're in or would rewire interfere with this?

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:26 pm

The Hulk wrote:I'll look for that post. Any idea when that was posted?
And in response to using the PCR as Midi instead of usb...do you just hit a switch on the PCR to go back and forth?
recently, its in the top ten of the general forum right now

ryan

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:09 pm

well, I think I came up with a temporary way to use one Edirol PCR-30 controller with Reason an Live. Unfortunately there is a compromise. Basically, when in Reason just use the keyboard to play and don't assign any controls for Live to the keys. Then when flipping back to Live, make sure you turn off the Reason Midi before you do, and dedicate the whole fader, knob part to Live. That way there's no conflict of controls. It's not the best solution, and has a pretty high margin of error like when you forget to turn off the Reason synth when flipping back into Live, but it's the only thing I could come up with to use one controller for two programs. I guess the best scenerio is to just use two dedicated controllers for each (but damnit, now my desk will be really crowded!)

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:10 am

coupla possiblilities--have you used/tryed mid ox and midi yoke?
You could assing keys to clips in live, but maybe just use the highest or lowest octave on your keyboard (using octave buttons to get around)--then you'll only trigger live clips with keys when you purposely go to that extreme octave range that you wouldn't use playing in reason. And then maybe create a silent instrument in reason that you could select to recieve midi in reason (by clicking to the left of the instruments name at the bottome of the rack), so you can always just select that and be sure none of your midi signals make sounds from reason. it is definitely possible and simpler in a live situation to have one keyboard for control, its just a matter of complete seperation of control between live and reason.

Ryan