adding portamento between slices of a MIDI track. How to do?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
produc3rboy

adding portamento between slices of a MIDI track. How to do?

Post by produc3rboy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:47 pm

I know that you can add glide/portamento in a sampler, but how do you add portamento after you've slice an audio clip to MIDI track? I selected the individual slice in the chain and chose the portamento and added a value but still no portamento between notes. I made sure the notes overlapped while doing this but I don't hear the portamento. Am I missing something?

produc3rboy

Re: adding portamento between slices of a MIDI track. How to do?

Post by produc3rboy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:49 pm

I am guessing this is not possible then... quite unfortunate

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:34 pm

Have you set it to monophonic / voices =1

I don't think Sampler does poly portamento. I also seem to recall it's called "glide" , I'm assuming you found the correct control (in the pitch tab)

Also, all the slices must be in the same Sampler. I think some of the slice presets create chains with a sampler fror each slice. You need a preset where all the slices are In one sampler. I assume thats what you have. But perhaps not.

produc3rboy

Post by produc3rboy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:19 pm

Angstrom wrote:Have you set it to monophonic / voices =1

I don't think Sampler does poly portamento. I also seem to recall it's called "glide" , I'm assuming you found the correct control (in the pitch tab)

Also, all the slices must be in the same Sampler. I think some of the slice presets create chains with a sampler fror each slice. You need a preset where all the slices are In one sampler. I assume thats what you have. But perhaps not.
I selected each slice and set them to 1 voice. I turned the retrigger on and off as well just to see what would happen. And yes they are all in the same drum rack. there's got to be a reason the portamento is there! Just can't get it to work

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:00 pm

produc3rboy wrote:

I selected each slice and set them to 1 voice. I turned the retrigger on and off as well just to see what would happen. And yes they are all in the same drum rack. there's got to be a reason the portamento is there! Just can't get it to work
in the same drum rack? Hmm, that won't work . The slices need to be in the same Sampler for portamento to work. Portamento affects voices of one instrument.
A drum rack is a container for Samplers. If each slice is in a different sampler it WILL NOT WORK.

Double click on a cell of a drum rack, then flip through each cell. Are they all different Samplers or Simplers? then it will not work.

To see the difference try re-slicing your original audio using a slicer preset like "Sampler Beat Offset". Now if you set that to voices = 1 and glide active it WILL glide .

produc3rboy

Post by produc3rboy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Angstrom wrote:
produc3rboy wrote:

in the same drum rack? Hmm, that won't work . The slices need to be in the same Sampler for portamento to work. Portamento affects voices of one instrument.
A drum rack is a container for Samplers. If each slice is in a different sampler it WILL NOT WORK.

Double click on a cell of a drum rack, then flip through each cell. Are they all different Samplers or Simplers? then it will not work.

To see the difference try re-slicing your original audio using a slicer preset like "Sampler Beat Offset". Now if you set that to voices = 1 and glide active it WILL glide .
This is what I am trying to do.
Select my acapella, right click it and "slice to new MIDI track"
Once I do that, it creates a track (and I believe this track is a drum rack) with lots of slices per the parameters set in the dialog box.

From there, I would like all the slices to glide between each slice. This seems to be the best way to have multiple slices automatically split by Ableton.

From what you're telling me, this is not the way to go. I tried to follow your steps but I couldn't follow. Where is the slicer preset "Sampler Beat Offset?" I am in the browser under Instruments/Sampler but found no such preset. Is the Zone tab within the sampler where I would put my individual slices?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:22 pm

When you select "slice to midi" there should be a modal dialog box pop up. In that box there's a pulldown, usually its set at "default" or "initial" or something like that. Hit that pulldown menu and find one of the entries with the word "sampler" in. Now when you hit "OK " the new track generated will have a Sampler on it, populated with your slices.

produc3rboy

Post by produc3rboy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:09 pm

Angstrom wrote:When you select "slice to midi" there should be a modal dialog box pop up. In that box there's a pulldown, usually its set at "default" or "initial" or something like that. Hit that pulldown menu and find one of the entries with the word "sampler" in. Now when you hit "OK " the new track generated will have a Sampler on it, populated with your slices.
Thanks dude! this makes much more sense in what I'm trying to do. I'd buy you a beer

produc3rboy

Post by produc3rboy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Angstrom wrote:When you select "slice to midi" there should be a modal dialog box pop up. In that box there's a pulldown, usually its set at "default" or "initial" or something like that. Hit that pulldown menu and find one of the entries with the word "sampler" in. Now when you hit "OK " the new track generated will have a Sampler on it, populated with your slices.
Now that you guided me through creating a sampler instrument from an audio clip, is there a way to glide between the slices? I am not getting the desired result. When it glides, it only glides from the same sample into another pitch. But what I need for it to do is to glide between the slices generated during the creation of the MIDI from audio so that the transition is smooth. Is this possible?

This is what I've done so far:
Create warp markers in clip. Right click clip and selected Slice to new MIDI track.
Pop up box: slice via warp markers. dropdown menu, sampler-offbeat.

from there I go to the Pitch panel and select glide and set a time value.
I overlap the MIDI notes but it only glides the 1st note and the 2nd note isn't played.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:21 pm

produc3rboy wrote: When it glides, it only glides from the same sample into another pitch. But what I need for it to do is to glide between the slices generated during the creation of the MIDI from audio so that the transition is smooth. Is this possible?
This doesn't make sense to me. What do you even mean with Glide/Portamento here? It sounds more to me like you want to morph between two different samples.

Maybe if you put samples in different layers and fade between these with a parameter during the transition? Not exactly morphing, but AFAIK Sampler can't do morphing anyway.

As glide only would apply to notes with frequency I'd view these aspects as two separate features, where the glide only would affect the movement of pitch towards a second MIDI note and the aspect of different samples should be ruled by some division. Is it that you're expecting a note, say a D, that is followed, by an E, — with these note being separate samples —  would glide towards the latter and as the glide goes towards the E this second sample would fade in as well during the transition? Is this what you want to happen?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:23 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
produc3rboy wrote: When it glides, it only glides from the same sample into another pitch. But what I need for it to do is to glide between the slices generated during the creation of the MIDI from audio so that the transition is smooth. Is this possible?
As glide only would apply to notes with frequency…
Actually, after having played around with sliced audio (Drums) in Simpler I noted that the glide parameter indeed does affect how slices are played back. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but the effect was distinctive in my sample. It doesn't seem to work like you hope though.

To make clear what you want, is it like if you have a 2-slice sample, say a flute, playing first a half-bar A and then a half-bar F, then what you want is for the A slice to slide in pitch from A into the F in the F slice even though these samples do not contain that glide? That's how I understood your example.

As these are slices the MIDI notes playing them may be any adjacent notes, so there's no portamento or glide info to be applied based on the MIDI data.

Could you share a Simpler that illustrates this issue? It would be much simpler to analyse directly than to speculate.
Make some music!

marra

Post by marra » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:54 pm

There should be a Live MIDI effect called "Portamento" :lol: :lol: :lol: