Best way to integrate iPad into Ableton setup?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gylen

Re: Best way to integrate iPad into Ableton setup?

Post by Gylen » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:37 am

scheffkoch wrote:@gylen: just put the audiomux generator on an audio track, open the plugin and select your ipad and then the channel you'd like to hear...to get midi from ableton to your ipad you have to go to preferences within ableton and activate your ipad instrument under "midi"....
best
b

Thanks scheffkoch, I think I'm almost there!

I've been messing with it all night and now understand that I need a new track/generator for each synth on my iPad so that's all good. Also, I've got Thor and iProphet appearing as midi destinations but this is where I'm getting stuck.

I'm creating 2 midi tracks (1 for Thor and 1 for iProphet) but it seems that even if I select one or the other, both synths receive all midi within audiomux! Have you come across this? Sure I'm just doing something minor wrong but cannot get it for the life of me!

Apologies for all the questions :)

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:22 am

...nor worries!...
...i don't send "regular" midi data to my ipad (only the bpm sync) so i'm not 100% sure but i'd try to use different midi channels for the synths, meaning you should be able to select a different "midi-in" port within the synth's preferences on the ipad...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Gylen

Post by Gylen » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:15 am

scheffkoch wrote:...nor worries!...
...i don't send "regular" midi data to my ipad (only the bpm sync) so i'm not 100% sure but i'd try to use different midi channels for the synths, meaning you should be able to select a different "midi-in" port within the synth's preferences on the ipad...

That was my thought but it doesn't seem to want to have it. Though now I type this, I wonder if one of the iOS synths is perhaps retriggering the other internally?? I'll check it out later and see.

Ultimately I guess it works best if you're just playing one sound source from the iPad - I was hearing some strange artefacts when bith synths were playing back together - and it's a brand new iPad so should be more than capable I guess.

Will keep experimenting and update here!

Thanks again :)

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi, could you post your experience with audiomux? I recently tried Music IO with no success, so I'm very interested into an alternative solution, thanks.

db120

Post by db120 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:43 pm

filter_7 wrote:Hi, could you post your experience with audiomux? I recently tried Music IO with no success, so I'm very interested into an alternative solution, thanks.
I had an earlier version of Audiomux working alright, but have you seen the new Modstep app? Same developers as Touchable, Audiomux/Studiomux. It has the latter two integrated in it and is an absolute monster of an app. Right now, it's a bit buggy, but the developers are on a short update cycle squashing bugs and adding features. The session slots and modulation options, plus controlling and recording different ios apps "stems" to separate folders within the app or to tracks within Ableton. It's very Live like on Ios and so feature full I'm just started to wrap my head around it. Might be more than you're looking for, but definitely worth checking out

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:27 pm

I was just going to post about Modstep too. Very ambitious app, just too buggy right now. the 1.01 update helped some, but sounds like 1.02 might make even more stable.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Just this morning I saw Modstep somewhere, but the price stopped me a little.
Listen to your feedback about the buggy state it's a bummer; I really don't like that habit to publish now but adjust later. It's a promising app though.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:07 pm

They admitted on the Audiobus forums that it got published a bit too quick to beat the xmas lockdown in the app store. Sounds like they're working hard to sort it out asap though, so at least that's good. FWIW, v1.01 fixed most of the issues I was having initially, but I've still had the odd weirdness happen until I restart the app. Still useable for just messing about, but not for live use or anything.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:33 pm

iConnectivity iConnectAUDIO4+
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

Gylen

Post by Gylen » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:31 am

filter_7 wrote:Hi, could you post your experience with audiomux? I recently tried Music IO with no success, so I'm very interested into an alternative solution, thanks.

Apologies, I missed this over the holidays!

It works. I wouldn't say I'm crazy for it, but it works. I feel like I'm missing something though, as I've only ever managed to get it to work properly with one app at a time on the iPad.

I feel like I should be able to create two midi tracks in Ableton, and route them to two different synth apps and have audiomux route the audio to separate return channels. At the moment, all apps just play the same thing.

That's probably not helpful but I got a Push 2 and a Microbrute over the holidays so have been somewhat...distracted!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:40 am

...have you activated the synths' midi ports within ableton's preferences?...do they show up in the synths' midi preferences on the ipad?...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

su

Post by su » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:35 pm

Live isn't recognizing the studiomux VSTs here. I have the latest studiomux server and VSTs installed. Anyone else have this problem?

MIDI works great.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:12 am

...i also had this problem with version 2.2.0 and contacted support..i was told 2.2.1 should solve the issue...didn't have the time to test it though...

su

Post by su » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:58 pm

I contacted support too and they updated the server but still no go

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:08 pm

...are you on a mac?...does the au version work?...