Preventing Windows Defender from scanning Ableton assets?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
miekwave

Preventing Windows Defender from scanning Ableton assets?

Post by miekwave » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:23 am

I have bypassed ableton and vst folders from windows defender, but it still takes a long time to load external assets I import to the library from an external disk. Basically, I found a work around from my 2GB ableton.db file Ableton Indexer process by moving assets to a new folder, but it brought up a new issue with security processes and threads.

Is there a better way to prevent Windows Defender/Anti Virus software from scanning assets that Ableton[].exe and Ableton Index.exe is already scanning? Or do I have to manually exclude each directory asset as they come in (TLD doesn't work because samples or stems load from different sources)? (I have over 1 million files)

mrgrim3

Re: Preventing Windows Defender from scanning Ableton assets?

Post by mrgrim3 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:15 am

im not a fan of antivirus because of it lowers preformance so i dont use it except once in a few months to full scan

maybe try turn off real time scanning while you use live

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:47 am

Unless Your PC is never Connected to the internet, I would trongly advice against disabling anti virus.

Windows Defender is excellent and very low profile and it's extremely easy to exclude folders.

1. Open Windows Defender
2. Go to settings
3. Go to exclusions
4. Add the folder (or folders) you want to exclude
5. Done.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:49 am

mrgrim3 wrote:im not a fan of antivirus because of it lowers preformance so i dont use it except once in a few months to full scan

maybe try turn off real time scanning while you use live
Good tip, but my antivirus is not running on my Ableton profile (I have a Work/Internet Windows Log in and a Separate Ableton Live Log in). Windows defender however is on, and I will keep it's setting on 'High' no matter what. And Ableton is blocked from it anyways so that's fine, projects load fast. My issue is I have over 2 million files (assets) which caused Ableton to take 60 minutes to open each time I open because it's Library files.db file imploded to more than 5GB, which was ridiculous, so I already did the whole troubleshooting thing with Ableton support after complaining that I need a feature to disable foldercontents from being indexed from ableton and loaded into ableton files.db and to only load library assets for said folder just like ableton 7 did and removed the Assets folder out of my Libraries and now the files.db is more manageable and loads almost instantly. But the secondary issue is that when I drag assets or view them via explorer, what happens is there is a 2 to 5 second delay after dragging each asset when I load different, so what should take 8-10 seconds to drag 8 midi files or samples takes more like 45 seconds. I don't think its an ableton issue is an OS issue at this point, but maybe not because it only does that when loading into Ableton and not in its own container. (The activity observed using Task Manager, Open Resource Monitor and Hardware Monitor) and Basically Ableton 7 this wasn't an issue because folders being accessed wernt automatically being loaded into files.db. (1 million midi files)

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:54 am

Guillermo Barrancos wrote:Unless Your PC is never Connected to the internet, I would trongly advice against disabling anti virus.

Windows Defender is excellent and very low profile and it's extremely easy to exclude folders.

1. Open Windows Defender
2. Go to settings
3. Go to exclusions
5. Done.
Thanks G man. Unfortunately, this is one of those folders (thousands of sub folders) I want to still check defender since there is a lot of misc. data on it just in case. But what I would really like to know is why defender is scanning those files ONLY when I drag it into Ableton. Especially since Ableton.exe and INdexer.exeis already disabled :/

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:01 am

miekwave wrote:
Guillermo Barrancos wrote:Unless Your PC is never Connected to the internet, I would trongly advice against disabling anti virus.

1. Open Windows Defender
2. Go to settings
3. Go to exclusions
5. Done.
Thanks G man. Unfortunately, this is one of those folders (thousands of sub folders) I want to still check defender since there is a lot of misc. data on it just in case. But what I would really like to know is why defender is scanning those files ONLY when I drag it into Ableton. Especially since Ableton.exe and INdexer.exeis already disabled :/
I assume you mean by dragging new packs into Ableton? When you do that, files are being moved between two locations and then Windows Defender will scan them, if either Source or destination folder are not excluded.

Another, better option is to restructure your folders, so you can exclude these files in Windows Defender.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:46 am

Guillermo Barrancos wrote: I assume you mean by dragging new packs into Ableton? When you do that, files are being moved between two locations and then Windows Defender will scan them, if either Source or destination folder are not excluded.

Another, better option is to restructure your folders, so you can exclude these files in Windows Defender.
Ah, Packs are fine. I am talking about stuff I collected wince 1995 and Prosonic MIDI files, there literally more than 1 million midi files in that.

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:51 am

miekwave wrote:
Guillermo Barrancos wrote: I assume you mean by dragging new packs into Ableton? When you do that, files are being moved between two locations and then Windows Defender will scan them, if either Source or destination folder are not excluded.

Ah, Packs are fine. I am talking about stuff I collected wince 1995 and Prosonic MIDI files, there literally more than 1 million midi files in that.
But can't you move them to a New folder structure so you can exclude them completely?
Then you only have to go through the pain of reorganising your files once and enjoy the fruit of labor afterwards.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:06 am

Guillermo Barrancos wrote:
miekwave wrote:

But can't you move them to a New folder structure so you can exclude them completely?
Then you only have to go through the pain of reorganising your files once and enjoy the fruit of labor afterwards.

Unfortunately moving files is a nightmare, its like 56k modem on slow-mo 7200rpm G drive. The reason is because the way midi folders and files a structured (more than 100,000) folders and copying writing to 4k 512 or 1k blocks makes no difference to transfer rate so I just kept it as is and each file is 100bto2kb or 50kb for big ones. and yes the drive is as rediculious as it sounds. The random access read time (and fragmenting) makes for painfully slow file transfer, thats why I simply use it as external media drive. Lts of 11khz 8 bit aif/wav asets audio from .MOD .IT .S3M etc since I hoarded thousands of those since 1994 lol

Again, it's not a major inconvienece, since I mainly use it to audition some midi clips on the go before dragging them into my ableton folder.

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:49 am

miekwave wrote:
miekwave wrote:
Guillermo Barrancos wrote:

Unfortunately moving files is a nightmare, its like 56k modem on slow-mo 7200rpm G drive. The reason is because the way midi folders and files a structured (more than 100,000) folders and copying writing to 4k 512 or 1k blocks makes no difference to transfer rate so I just kept it as is and each file is 100bto2kb or 50kb for big ones. and yes the drive is as rediculious as it sounds. The random access read time (and fragmenting) makes for painfully slow file transfer, thats why I simply use it as external media drive. Lts of 11khz 8 bit aif/wav asets audio from .MOD .IT .S3M etc since I hoarded thousands of those since 1994 lol

Again, it's not a major inconvienece, since I mainly use it to audition some midi clips on the go before dragging them into my ableton folder.
Outch... Yeah I see now.

Well maybe one day you can just dissable Power management (hard disk sleep, computer sleep, etc) and initiate a file copy to a New faster drive before you go to bed. Then it should be more or less finished the next day. :lol: