Assign knob to MIDI Ctrl controllers

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
2pauluzz2

Assign knob to MIDI Ctrl controllers

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:50 am

Hi everyone,

I use a Poly-61 synthesizer. In its original form its parameters such as cutoff need to be edited through push buttons, however, I got it modded with a midi kit that allows me to control its cutoff from Ableton.

The way to do that is by going to a Midi Clip, then Envelopes > select MIDI Ctrl > controller 17 > draw in envelopes et voila. Now my Poly-61's cutoff can be automated as you would with any softsynth. Happy days.

This got me thinking:
do Max For Live devices exist that allow to assign a knob from a midi controller, say a UC-33, to do the same? So to have the midi controller control controller 17, which sends midi out to the Poly-61?

That would effectively give me cutoff control in a knob.

kleine

Re: Assign knob to MIDI Ctrl controllers

Post by kleine » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:22 am

You mean this kind of stuff?
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... cc-out-1-0

It's quick and easy to program in M4L...

Best
c

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:28 am

Well, I found that one already but I couldn't figure out how to make it send to Controller 17.

(By Controller 17 what I mean is this, in the Midi Ctrl section:

Image )

I can draw in envelopes there and the cutoff of my synth responds, so midi messages are being sent.
I've use Midi Monitor to identify which cc messages are related to it so that I can set up that CC out device, but Midi Monitor is not recording any results (and it does work for all other midi devices). This lead me to believe that perhaps controlling that Controller 17 doesn't send CC at all, but works in a different way.

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:10 pm

That device sends CC 17 by default with the second knob...The CC number is defined with the numboxes on the right, and the value is sent with that knob. Verified by MIDI monitor, and by recording the outgoing MIDI into a clip.
The device does exactly what you are requesting, you probably have your routing setup incorrectly, or are misunderstanding something.

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:34 pm

You're right! Awesome, it works like a charm now. I needed to tweak the cutoff on the synth a bit as if to 'remind' it that messages were being sent (something like that). Thanks!