What controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sammie

What controller

Post by sammie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:07 pm

Hello all,

I switched over to Ableton not long ago and I make mostly sampled and looped based music.
I'm interested in getting a controller as I think being able to map loops to slices and get them spread over peads will help in getting more creative.
Its also nice to be able to control reverb leevls for example.

I'm not sure what controller I should look at.
The Push 2 looks great but perhaps a cheaper alternative would be more then enough.
I will only use it for production, and not for live performance.

What do you guys recommend?

Guillermo Barrancos

Re: What controller

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:19 pm

sammie wrote:Hello all,

I switched over to Ableton not long ago and I make mostly sampled and looped based music.
I'm interested in getting a controller as I think being able to map loops to slices and get them spread over peads will help in getting more creative.
Its also nice to be able to control reverb leevls for example.

I'm not sure what controller I should look at.
The Push 2 looks great but perhaps a cheaper alternative would be more then enough.

You cannot go wrong with the Push 2.

The Push 1 was amazing, but I did not buy it, seeing the mixed reviews and issues with it at the time (important features that were missing), so I patiently waited for the inevitable release of the Push 2.

And I can tell you, I have not regretted my Push 2 purchase. It's absolutely amazing! Love this thing to bits.

There are cheaper alternatives, like the new Novation Launchpad Pro, though I think these are actually more performance Controllers as to the Push 2, which really is much more of a Production Controller in my view.

So if you really looking for a good controller for Production with Ableton Live 9, I would definitely go for the Push 2 any day.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:34 pm

sammie wrote: but perhaps a cheaper alternative would be more then enough.

Buy the best you can afford from the start. Otherwise you end up upgrading and paying more, and left with an old controller with possibly very low resale value. This is the mistake I made in my early controller days.

For what you want, Push 2 would be a great, arguably the best option. It exceeds at slicing workflows especially with the new Simpler.

Be aware that the 64-pad grid of Push 2 is currently being worked on to improve/fix it, as it has some quirks, like velocity spikes.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:48 pm

push 1 or push 2 or

APC40mk1 if you are a keyborder/pianist

i use at the moment my old photonX25, push 1 & APC40mk1

sana48

Post by sana48 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Push 1 is still valid..

And super cheap right now.