Looking to add a reel to reel, no idea where to start.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nephew

Looking to add a reel to reel, no idea where to start.

Post by Nephew » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:14 pm

Looking to add a tape machine to the old studio. Not looking to multi-track record to it per se, but maybe run a few tracks through it, and maybe the final mixdown as well.

Are there some decent "budget/home studio" models I should look at, or maybe certain brands to be on the look out for or to avoid altogether?

And and all advice is appreciated!

miekwave

Re: Looking to add a reel to reel, no idea where to start.

Post by miekwave » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:59 pm

Nephew wrote:Looking to add a tape machine to the old studio. Not looking to multi-track record to it per se, but maybe run a few tracks through it, and maybe the final mixdown as well.

Are there some decent "budget/home studio" models I should look at, or maybe certain brands to be on the look out for or to avoid altogether?

Panasonic, Tascam, RCA, all have excellent 2nd hand tape products. I use both Tascam 3U tape deck and RCA cassette recording boombox. The tapes are run through patchbays for easy recording both directions.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:13 pm

miekwave wrote:Panasonic, Tascam, RCA, all have excellent 2nd hand tape products. I use both Tascam 3U tape deck and RCA cassette recording boombox. The tapes are run through patchbays for easy recording both directions.
He's asking about reel to reel (i.e. open reel) tape.

As someone who works with 1/4" reels every day I say find a tape modeling plugin like the Waves Kramer plug or U-he's Satin.

It's a pain in the ass even when you're not the one spending money for the tape and the machine upkeep.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:59 pm

stringtapper wrote:find a tape modeling plugin like the Waves Kramer plug or U-he's Satin.
Oh great. You beat me to my smartass reply, and worse, you made it into an actual valid informed reply. :|

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:24 am

Nephew wrote:Looking to add a tape machine to the old studio. Not looking to multi-track record to it per se, but maybe run a few tracks through it, and maybe the final mixdown as well.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar10/a ... advice.htm

Maybe this will help. I'm not sure if any new models are still being made. Last time I checked, good tape machines started around $4000 but that was awhile ago and they are probably cheaper now in the used market.

If you just want the "tape sound" and are on a budget, people use a lot of tricks:

1. Plug-ins. Tape emulation plug-ins have gotten a lot better now with UAD plug-ins, Waves, U-he, Nomad factory, and even Izotope. Some of these are pretty expensive still.

2. Cassette tape decks. Probably would work good for special effect or for certain tracks. They will often have a poor dynamic range and frequency response, but can work for certain instruments like drum and bass or especially for sampling sounds for a tape effect.

3. Four track machines. These vary but some actually can be better than cassette in terms of frequency response because four tracks would record at a higher speed. From my memory my old cassette four track didn't actually sound too bad but I did notice a big difference when I got an Adat.

4. Consumer grade reel machines. I think some of these aren't that expensive but I'm not sure of the sound quality. I remember seeing some of these for about $1000 or less. I would guess the sound quality would be better than cassette as the tape would be thicker and most likely a faster speed.

5. VCR machines. I've heard some people do this and even liked the quality but I've never tried, but I've heard the sound quality is better than cassette but it probably would be hard finding out how to get a proper level here, unless there is a machine designed for this with good meters.

For effect all probably would be good though.

Nephew

Post by Nephew » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:54 am

Actually have Satin, was only $125 and the results I'm getting from it are more than I could have asked for. That's part of the reason why I'm interested in getting an actual one to see what more I can do with it. From the sounds of it though, maybe I should just stick with the emulator and keep pushing what it can do.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Nephew wrote:Actually have Satin, was only $125 and the results I'm getting from it are more than I could have asked for. That's part of the reason why I'm interested in getting an actual one to see what more I can do with it. From the sounds of it though, maybe I should just stick with the emulator and keep pushing what it can do.

If it is more just interest go for it. With dwindling support, manufacterers, and even tapes, I would think that some of the machines with a few bruises or issues probably could be had at a relatively cheap prices as some folks will probably have a hard time selling hard to maintain units.

Simonsez2389

Post by Simonsez2389 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:43 pm

i love the look of R2Rs and wanted to get into it. bought a couple R2R decks. these were in very nice condition and serviced and all that. they still would work one day and not the next, just because they're so frickin old. they are the heaviest things ever too, a real pain to make room for in the studio and lift around to take to repair people. i have given up, it is just not worth it. the difference in sound between the tape deck and the R2R was negligable.

cassettes, on the other hand, rule hard.

Nephew

Post by Nephew » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:58 am

Yeah, like I said I looking to use it as an effect to add colour and the all elusive "tape saturation". Not looking to store projects on tape nor would I need a 24 track, 2 inch tape tracking beast like the Studer A827.

Thanks for all the feedback and insight though, think I have a good idea on how to proceed from here.

Cheers!

Gyu гы

Post by Gyu гы » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:43 am

Hey Nephew, what kind of things are you doing with Satin?
I've got it but don't really feel that I've got to grips with it.
Any tips would be much appreciated.
:)

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:01 pm

Just to throw my 2 cents in...

I had a similar craving lately. After a lot of shopping on eBay and cruising the Tapeheads.net website, I settled on a Marantz PMD 502 cassette deck. Cost me $80 plus shipping, fully serviced, tested, and in flawless condition. It's giving me exactly the sound I was looking for, has all the bias options for metal tape, and has a cool pitch shift control. A lot of creative options there. Picked up a couple Sony CrO2 tapes on eBay too.

I'm using it to record quick jam sessions (sans computer) or blending it back in with a matching clean signal from my synths. I'm really having fun with it.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

michaelep

Post by michaelep » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:15 am

Hey I'm a newbie with no experience yet!! I've got a teac a-3440 (borrowed) reel to reel and I'm trying to put my late fathers tapes onto laptop so I can burn cds for his memorial service in 2 weeks! Problem is they were recorded 40 years ago on a different speed so how do I slow them down? The pitch knob on the teac doesn't do it, he sounds like alvin and the chipmunks.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:10 am

michaelep wrote:Hey I'm a newbie with no experience yet!! I've got a teac a-3440 (borrowed) reel to reel and I'm trying to put my late fathers tapes onto laptop so I can burn cds for his memorial service in 2 weeks! Problem is they were recorded 40 years ago on a different speed so how do I slow them down? The pitch knob on the teac doesn't do it, he sounds like alvin and the chipmunks.
And you've pressed the tape speed button? The pitch dial is a fine adjustment, the tapespeed button when pressed in will halve the speed / pitch

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:30 am

I'll be that guy.

Realize half the tape sound is in the experience. The other half could be emulated with a few plug ins.

100% though the experience can shape your choices in terms of mixing and mastering. The real trick IMO is to have that experience without the suffering stringtapper mentioned.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:32 am

michaelep wrote:Hey I'm a newbie with no experience yet!! I've got a teac a-3440 (borrowed) reel to reel and I'm trying to put my late fathers tapes onto laptop so I can burn cds for his memorial service in 2 weeks! Problem is they were recorded 40 years ago on a different speed so how do I slow them down? The pitch knob on the teac doesn't do it, he sounds like alvin and the chipmunks.
If you have Live just adjust the speed of the recording in the clip.