how to connect

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
phil@40

how to connect

Post by phil@40 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi I have ableton installed on laptop and pc, is there a way to link the 2 together say over wifi or Ethernet cable, I use ableton on laptop so I can take laptop when I go out and work on it remotely.

Thanks guys

doublestop

Re: how to connect

Post by doublestop » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:29 pm

phil@40 wrote:Hi I have ableton installed on laptop and pc, is there a way to link the 2 together say over wifi or Ethernet cable, I use ableton on laptop so I can take laptop when I go out and work on it remotely.

Thanks guys
Hmm... I am just curious, Why would you want to "link" the 2 together? What would be the purpose?

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:33 pm

If you are saying you want to work on your desktop and then open the same set when you are out and about, try splice.

www.splice.com

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:50 pm

beats me wrote:If you are saying you want to work on your desktop and then open the same set when you are out and about, try splice.

http://www.splice.com
Mr Beats Me got me totally hooked on Splice. It's quite incredible.... (Thanks so much, beats me!)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:50 am

I have a desktop machine and a laptop. I keep my music synced between the two using dropbox. Much easier than splice.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:02 pm

re:dream wrote:I have a desktop machine and a laptop. I keep my music synced between the two using dropbox. Much easier than splice.

How so? Serious question. I only have 1 music computer and haven’t attempted to collaborate yet so I don’t know what the difficulties might be with Splice. Essentially I’m just using Splice and Dropbox as backups.

But on that note, is there a way with Dropbox where it will just auto save (backup) a folder on your desktop without you having to do anything? At the moment I save to a desktop folder, Splice auto saves, and every so often I’ll manually save another copy to a Dropbox folder. I don't want Dropbox to be my main save destination.

Post by re:dream » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:32 pm

I think splice is designed for a different use case than Dropbox. It is great for collaboration between two different artists, but workflow and design is very different.

What I do is to situate my entire user library, my entire sample library and all my sets INSIDE dropbox.

Then I open Live, and in preferences, point Live at the folders in dropbox. I do this on both computers.

This means that dropbox is entirely invisible and works in the background. Most of the time I am not even aware of it. But wherever I am, whatever I do, I can open whatever machine I have (my desktop at home, or my notebook when I am at work, or traveling, or at a conference in some godforsaken city) and work at my latest track without worrying about any syncronisation issues.

Why don't you want Db to be your main save destination?

I suppose you can use a symlink. Then your file will be outside dropbox, but dropbox will sync it anyway. Same difference really, and a bit of a hassle to set up (you have to remember where the folder REALLY is, and which one is the real file and which the symlink, which does my head in). But again, the system works invisibly and updates in real time.

The only real downside is that you have to have lots of dB space. I pay US 10 a month for a terabyte, which works very nicely.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:43 pm

I’m not normally a paranoid guy, but the thought of having any and all copies of my productions on a third party cloud drive scares me. Toss in the possibility of the network being down when I’m feeling really productive and that won’t be a good time.

I also have the 1TB for $10 a month subscription but haven’t been able to justify that much space yet. And this also brings up the issue of any service or terms weirdness in the future with Dropbox if you are relying on them solely to store all your production files.

I haven’t looked into it yet but I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to seamlessly mirror auto save a folder on your desktop to Dropbox. Seems like it would be a common need these days. As far as remembering where files and folders are in order to not break the link, I never really move folders or files. So for me it would be set it and forget it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:38 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/12

So I guess you can't use Dropbox to auto backup a folder on your desktop. :| So I'll never know if what I have saved on Dropbox is the most current version. I will on Splice cause it auto saves and even lets you go back to previous auto saves.

Post by re:dream » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:23 pm

beats me wrote:.

I haven’t looked into it yet but I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to seamlessly mirror auto save a folder on your desktop to Dropbox. Seems like it would be a common need these days. As far as remembering where files and folders are in order to not break the link, I never really move folders or files. So for me it would be set it and forget it.

Symlink.

doublestop

Post by doublestop » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:05 pm

re:dream wrote:
beats me wrote:.

Symlink.

Umm....Hang on! Correct me if I'm wrong here.. but I believe the way Dropbox works (and other good Cloud services for that matter) is that you have a sort of virtual folder on your PC or Laptop.. tablet .. etc.. (It probably works best on PC's. Macs or Linux .. basically full OS's - I notice on my Ipad - depending on the app I have to usually manually send something to Dropbox. Apple naturally would love it if you used Icloud as your main gig!).
So when you are on line and you "save" a file to that location, it just transmits that file to the cloud. Under the hood, it waits for confirmation from the cloud that the bits were received. If true, Rainbows and birdie! Happy frolicking Unicorns!! Milk and honey! IF you happen to be offline at the time you save.. then it will temporarily save that file locally, possibly notify you of your offline status, and then it should update the file the next time you are on line again! That's the way its supposed to work. From I have heard from the vast majority of Dropbox users, this process is very reliable and seamless, as long as your access to the cloud is relatively reliable. (IF you find yourself offline a lot, alternatives to cloud services and backup file locations might be a wise decision!!!)
I understand the age old skepticism about "relying" on cloud services... but this always begs the question, How often are You backing up your system? Why do you make the assumption that your one podunk external HDD or SSD is bullet proof? I think one could argue that Large Server arrays with multiple fault backup systems are probably just a teensy bit more reliable than that lonely little external drive you are saving your files to! 8) ... Jest sayin!!!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:53 pm

As seamless as they make it work in the background and easy to access, my problem is all your files and folders are entirely on Dropbox’s servers. There’s no backup on your computer. That’s not a good idea by most people’s standards. So either you have to manually backup to your computer or manually backup to Dropbox. It shouldn’t work that way.

I'll have too look into symlink.

Post by re:dream » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Not so. The files are on my computer. And they are mirrored on Dropbox servers. And they are on my other computer, synced via dropbox.

And each computer has its own real time time machine backup on external hard drive.

So I have four layers of real time back up. I am a bit OCD

:oops:

Post by re:dream » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:59 pm

beats me wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/12

So I guess you can't use Dropbox to auto backup a folder on your desktop. :| So I'll never know if what I have saved on Dropbox is the most current version. I will on Splice cause it auto saves and even lets you go back to previous auto saves.
No, you can. Symlink.