So I guess you can't rely on the recover work option to work

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ejlif

So I guess you can't rely on the recover work option to work

Post by ejlif » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:18 am

Damn I have gotten so used to being able to recover work when Live crashes that I got lazy with saving stuff so often. I had Live crash and it said upon trying to re open that a serious problem occurred and it needed to shut down and when I clicked yes to recover work the whole days work I did was not there. I was just trying to crop a sample I was working on and it freaked out and quit

Tarekith

Re: So I guess you can't rely on the recover work option to work

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:52 am

You went all day without saving? Bummer man, definitely a hard lesson to learn. If you have a crash report from the crash, be sure to forward it support@ableton.com so they can help try and squash whatever the bug was in the future.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:17 am

Tarekith wrote:You went all day without saving? Bummer man, definitely a hard lesson to learn.
I guess you would save more often if the history wasn't erased every time for no good reason.
Make some music!

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:15 pm

ejlif wrote:I was just trying to crop a sample I was working on and it freaked out and quit
did you do this in sampler ?

ive had this happen to me atleast 3 times when pressing crop on sampler

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:46 am

ejlif wrote:Damn I have gotten so used to being able to recover work when Live crashes that I got lazy with saving stuff so often. I had Live crash and it said upon trying to re open that a serious problem occurred and it needed to shut down and when I clicked yes to recover work the whole days work I did was not there. I was just trying to crop a sample I was working on and it freaked out and quit
Sorry about the blunder. I had this happen a few times. As a result I developed a habit of saving my projects successively

Project 1.00 is always my first save the
Project 1.01 on my secobnd save
Project 1.02 on my third save
Project 1.03 Vocals on my third save recoreded vocals
Project 1.04 Drums on my fifth save recorded drums
Project 1.19 MIX on my Mixdown save
Project 1.21 MASTER on my Master save
Project 1.28 VIDEO on my MASTER + Video save (example)

This workflow has saved me lots of time and I do a new save version for each major recording or major revision with a tiny note on what edit was done.

For example, I decided that I dont like drums on my Latest Project Version 1.09, so I replace it back to the 1.04 version without a hitch.

Having Said that, have you tried Copying Individual Tracks from your previous save instance and also reattach 'Clips' or Audio from the 'Recorded folder and reconstructed them manually?

ejlif

Post by ejlif » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:06 pm

miekwave wrote:
ejlif wrote:Damn I have gotten so used to being able to recover work when Live crashes that I got lazy with saving stuff so often. I had Live crash and it said upon trying to re open that a serious problem occurred and it needed to shut down and when I clicked yes to recover work the whole days work I did was not there. I was just trying to crop a sample I was working on and it freaked out and quit
Sorry about the blunder. I had this happen a few times. As a result I developed a habit of saving my projects successively

Project 1.00 is always my first save the
Project 1.01 on my secobnd save
Project 1.02 on my third save
Project 1.03 Vocals on my third save recoreded vocals
Project 1.04 Drums on my fifth save recorded drums
Project 1.19 MIX on my Mixdown save
Project 1.21 MASTER on my Master save
Project 1.28 VIDEO on my MASTER + Video save (example)

Great advice and organization. I'll try to implement some of these habits into my routine.

This workflow has saved me lots of time and I do a new save version for each major recording or major revision with a tiny note on what edit was done.

For example, I decided that I dont like drums on my Latest Project Version 1.09, so I replace it back to the 1.04 version without a hitch.

Having Said that, have you tried Copying Individual Tracks from your previous save instance and also reattach 'Clips' or Audio from the 'Recorded folder and reconstructed them manually?

ejlif

Post by ejlif » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:07 pm

mrgrim3 wrote:
ejlif wrote:I was just trying to crop a sample I was working on and it freaked out and quit
did you do this in sampler ?

ive had this happen to me atleast 3 times when pressing crop on sampler
I think it was in the new version of Simpler that this happened. The crash is OK I can deal with it but that it didn't allow me to recover was a major bummer. I lost a few hours of stuff I had done

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:44 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Tarekith wrote:You went all day without saving? Bummer man, definitely a hard lesson to learn.
I guess you would save more often if the history wasn't erased every time for no good reason.
Splice.com synced to Live creates a version you can revert back to every time you hit save, whether it was your most recent save or 20 saves ago. You can even add notes to each save version “Before cracking open beer 9”