[Old, see new thread] Ubermap: Push VST param remapping

Discuss Push with other users.
tom_d

Re: Ubermap (w/experimental 9.5/Push2): Push VST param remapping

Post by tom_d » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:53 am

AlexGodbehere wrote:Hey Tom.

Doesn't seem to be working on 9.5.1b6 (Push 2). If I make a plugin config, the bank name change shows up but I can't select it. Upon restarting the push the screen is blank. I'm sure you probably already know that this is the case but I'm just confirming. If I can help in any way, let me know.
Hey,

Thanks for the feedback, I haven't had a chance to try beta 6 yet so I'm not sure if this is a Push 2 thing or a beta 6 thing. I think I'm going to wait for 9.5.1 to get officially released before updating, as I hadn't anticipated so much change at the code level between betas, its hard chasing a moving target! Also not been able to get the Push 2 emulator hidden inside Ableton working so not been able to test on there - if anyone has managed to get it to work please let me know the trick :)

Cheers
Tom
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

AlexGodbehere

Post by AlexGodbehere » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:48 pm

tom_d wrote: Hey,

Thanks for the feedback, I haven't had a chance to try beta 6 yet so I'm not sure if this is a Push 2 thing or a beta 6 thing. I think I'm going to wait for 9.5.1 to get officially released before updating, as I hadn't anticipated so much change at the code level between betas, its hard chasing a moving target! Also not been able to get the Push 2 emulator hidden inside Ableton working so not been able to test on there - if anyone has managed to get it to work please let me know the trick :)

Cheers
Tom

What info have you got on the emulator so far? I've had a poke around with the Python files, but I really haven't got time at the minute to get stuck into them.

TheTechnobear

Post by TheTechnobear » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:01 pm

tom_d wrote:Also not been able to get the Push 2 emulator hidden inside Ableton working so not been able to test on there - if anyone has managed to get it to work please let me know the trick :)
Im not sure its possible...

basically you need to start Push2DisplayProcess with a different command line argument (if you grep the excutable its easy enough to find),
if I start the process manually it brings up the emulator, but Live won't connect to an existing P2DP.
its possible Live has an environment variable that can be set, that controls the startup arguments for P2DP but Ive not found it yet.
(oh, and P2DP is started, afaik, directly Live, not via python scripts, so Ive not been able to find any help there)

in a kind of related question, as it might help me get a little further...
I downloaded a copy of the decompile Push2 python scripts, but if I try to edit them, they seem to just not work....
is there a trick for getting modified scripts to work?
( I basically deleted the pyc, and used the new py... which I think automatically gets compiled into the pyc)

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:57 pm

I'm away from my computer for a while so can't provide exact details but someone online has sort-of documented the process (try googling "Push2DisplayProcess emulator" or something). Basically (on a Mac) you can rename the P2DP executable and replace it with a script that runs the real executable (that you have renamed) but adding in the required command line arg, then write a simple process to listen on a virtual midi port and respond pretending to be Push 2, and this is enough to get Live to open the emulator when you choose Push 2 in the control surfaces. In theory you can then point the Push 2 midi in and out to the new ports the emulator has opened, but on doing this, the emulator remains open but blank. The guy online got it working it seems but didn't respond when I tweeted for more info ;)

On the script thing - unfortunately, the decompilation used isn't 100% right (uncompyle2), and messes up the files a bit, such that they don't recompile properly without manual fixes... Therefore just dropping in all the py files and deleting the pyc won't work (but it would if you had perfectly decompiled/original Python scripts).

So you can either fix up the files by hand as I did for the first version of Ubermap (which is time consuming, there are details in this thread I think of some of the common issues that the decompiler introduces - so in reality you'll only want to do this for files you need to modify, and leave the rest untouched), or you can figure out ways to "monkey patch" the Push modules from outside and overwrite just certain methods/variables (while still able to call the original method itself if you need). This is probably a bit harder to get your head around, but avoids decompilation issues and should be more robust to minor changes in the Ableton code. Have a look at the UbermapPatches.py file (in the latest 9.5 version) to see how I've done this... Good luck!
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:21 pm

tom_d wrote: So you can either fix up the files by hand as I did for the first version of Ubermap (which is time consuming, there are details in this thread I think of some of the common issues that the decompiler introduces - so in reality you'll only want to do this for files you need to modify, and leave the rest untouched), or you can figure out ways to "monkey patch" the Push modules from outside and overwrite just certain methods/variables (while still able to call the original method itself if you need). This is probably a bit harder to get your head around, but avoids decompilation issues and should be more robust to minor changes in the Ableton code. Have a look at the UbermapPatches.py file (in the latest 9.5 version) to see how I've done this... Good luck!

Tom, is there any use re-coding with the PyCharm IDE with these scripts? (The Community Edition)
Or is it overkill?
Make some music!

recyclinglostcities

Post by recyclinglostcities » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:16 am

Hi everyone, I skimmed through the last year or so of this thread and didn't see anything that quite addressed my question, so forgive me if this has been covered.

I recently got Reaktor 6 and have been using it in conjunction with Push 2, with the Options.txt file installed. Push does a pretty good job of displaying all/most of the parameters in ensembles from NI, but on most user created devices seems to only present a handful of parameters, with the rest appearing as disabled. Does Ubermap update and present all/most of the usable parameters in Reaktor ensembles? Also, does this display information only appear on Push, or does it apply to all controllers with the ability to display controller information? I've got a Novation Remote 37 SL as well, which would be made even more useful if this was the case.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:17 am

recyclinglostcities wrote:Does Ubermap update and present all/most of the usable parameters in Reaktor ensembles?
…does it apply to all controllers with the ability to display controller information?
As long as Reaktor make these available and you select them in Live as parameters. In the case of Reaktor 5 at least I found it more useful to rename parameters already inside Reaktor per ensemble. I only used Ubermap to name banks.

I make sure the defaults load my ensemble that is saved elsewhere, as an update risks wiping out both the patches of mine themselves and with those the mappings as well.

I can't believe that Ableton still haven't removed the 128 parameter limit nor that you can't already rename parameters or banks. Ubermap show the latter at least is possible to do despite that industrywide standards seem to be lacking these features.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

MTG105

Post by MTG105 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:09 pm

so is Ubermap working with 9.5? I can't get the parameter names to update even though bank names are updating. If I delete source names the parameter goes blank so I know the cfg file is being read. Running 9.5 and on a Macbook Pro 10.11.2. Thanks

Nykhola

Post by Nykhola » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:48 pm

Does it work with Live 9.6b1 ?

AlexGodbehere

Post by AlexGodbehere » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:12 pm

Any updates on the Push 2 front?

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:13 pm

Hey all,

Sorry, been away for the last month so I haven't had a chance to look at this since December! I'm hoping to get it working properly with 9.5 soon, I'll keep you updated, but I think it mostly should work for Push 1 - I might just need to make some small changes to work with the final 9.5 release. Unfortunately no news on the Push 2 front yet, but t3chn0 from the forum offered to be a guinea pig so hopefully we can get it working on there at some point!

Cheers,
Tom

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:26 pm

tom_d wrote:I might just need to make some small changes to work with the final 9.5 release.
Just noting that 9.5 has been released, 9.5.1 will never be. 9.6 should be the target IMHO.
Make some music!

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
tom_d wrote:I might just need to make some small changes to work with the final 9.5 release.
Just noting that 9.5 has been released, 9.5.1 will never be. 9.6 should be the target IMHO.
Actually that's probably a good idea, I might wait until a few more betas are out as there was quite a lot of change from beta to beta with 9.5, which resulted in quite a bit of wasted effort :)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:30 pm

tom_d wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
Actually that's probably a good idea, I might wait until a few more betas are out as there was quite a lot of change from beta to beta with 9.5, which resulted in quite a bit of wasted effort :)
Especially as 9.6b1 was a release candidate and 9.6b2 is the current beta version.
Make some music!

T3chn0

Post by T3chn0 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:42 pm

tom_d wrote:Hey all,

Sorry, been away for the last month so I haven't had a chance to look at this since December! I'm hoping to get it working properly with 9.5 soon, I'll keep you updated, but I think it mostly should work for Push 1 - I might just need to make some small changes to work with the final 9.5 release. Unfortunately no news on the Push 2 front yet, but t3chn0 from the forum offered to be a guinea pig so hopefully we can get it working on there at some point!

Cheers,
Tom
Yeah, I'm really excited to help. Can't wait to get Ubermap working again. :)