Help please I'm going to cry!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Help please I'm going to cry!

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:08 am

buffer anyone? could he/she need to check there?

umbrellasky

Post by umbrellasky » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:54 pm

jestermgee wrote:For the interface test you would possibly need another Mic to test with but:

You say when you have the volume way up you hear static. If you disconnect the mic from the line you also still hear static (which would make sense for interference in the cable). What if you can hear the static clear if you pull the cable from the interface. Does static remain or disappear?

If it disappears then it's interference in the cable and it shouldn't be an issue with the interface.

If you have the mic plugged in and are using it with close proximity your gain should be very low on the input. There will always be some background interference which will become more noticable as you crank up the volume so if you are being forced to increase the volume to even hear your voice it could be the Mic.

The only 2 tests I can think of would be:

- Try another mic using the same cable if possible
- Try the mic on another interface.

Do you happen to have a mixer with an XLR input or anything? If not do you have a friend or even a music shop you can take it to just to plug it in and test it? If it sounds clean and loud on another system then rule of thumb suggests an interface issue.

Hope you manage to get it sorted. Audio chain issues can be a pain to figure out sometimes.
Thank you,

When I disconnect the xlr cable from the interface I can still hear static too. I have to turn the gain right down (which I'm assuming is 'off') to then be able to hear normally through my headphones.

I've used an Avantone microphone with the cable, and I don't recall any static then, just lots and lots of background noise because it is so sensitive. So it could be the mic...or it could still be the interface..hey it could even be both! 8O

I don't have a mixer, just the interface and pc.

It is very frustrating. Unfortunately I don't have any friends who have an interface I could borrow, or a mic. I suppose I could speak to my local music shop and see if they have another interface and microphone I could try using.

Thank you for your help.
Last edited by umbrellasky on Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

umbrellasky

Post by umbrellasky » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:55 pm

H20nly wrote:buffer anyone? could he/she need to check there?
Hi, I have tried adjusting the buffer sizes in Ableton and still no difference :( The one good thing about this interface is I'm not getting any latency (the reason I bought it in the first place!!) just getting static instead *sigh*

umbrellasky

Post by umbrellasky » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:07 pm

I think I maybe have found my answer...

Just came across this thread on another site...looks like it's probably microphone and pre-amp interface compatibility issue, seems the Shure SM58 needs an interface with a preamp in that will allow for it to be turned up loud enough for it to be audible...

http://homerecording.com/bbs/general-di ... se-303667/

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:20 pm

umbrellasky wrote:I think I maybe have found my answer...

Just came across this thread on another site...looks like it's probably microphone and pre-amp interface compatibility issue, seems the Shure SM58 needs an interface with a preamp in that will allow for it to be turned up loud enough for it to be audible...

this same kind of thing would happen to my guitar on my old interface (lexicon alpha) it sounded like shit and lots of interference/hisses

I replaced it and everything is a lot cleaner through the newer interface but I don't know if it will help your problem

and buying a new gear should be last resort because it adds up

umbrellasky

Post by umbrellasky » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:26 pm

mrgrim3 wrote:
umbrellasky wrote:I think I maybe have found my answer...

this same kind of thing would happen to my guitar on my old interface (lexicon alpha) it sounded like shit and lots of interference/hisses

I replaced it and everything is a lot cleaner through the newer interface but I don't know if it will help your problem

and buying a new gear should be last resort because it adds up
Thanks. I still have time to send this interface back and replace it. Just got to work out what Audio interface with built in preamp is going to be good enough...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:07 am

if you plan on doing a lot of vocals, i cannot recommend and dedicated pre-amp enough. i got a Univeral Audio Twin Finity for my Shure SM7B and the difference is night and day.

umbrellasky

Post by umbrellasky » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:27 am

H20nly wrote:if you plan on doing a lot of vocals, i cannot recommend and dedicated pre-amp enough. i got a Univeral Audio Twin Finity for my Shure SM7B and the difference is night and day.
Thank you, so do you plug the mic into the preamp and then the pre-amp into the interface? Thanks!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:29 am

yes.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:32 am

H20nly wrote:if you plan on doing a lot of vocals, i cannot recommend a dedicated pre-amp enough. i got a Univeral Audio Twin Finity for my Shure SM7B and the difference is night and day.
edited for posterity :idea:

umbrellasky

Post by umbrellasky » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 pm

Just found this and decided to order it: Cloudlifter CL-1 worth a try! Will let you know how I get on, if anyone is interested :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:46 pm

umbrellasky wrote:Just found this and decided to order it: Cloudlifter CL-1 worth a try! Will let you know how I get on, if anyone is interested :)
yes please. that looks promising...

umbrellasky

Post by umbrellasky » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:09 pm

H20nly wrote:
umbrellasky wrote:Just found this and decided to order it: Cloudlifter CL-1 worth a try! Will let you know how I get on, if anyone is interested :)
yes please. that looks promising...
Just an update, received the Cloudlifter today and it has made a huge difference, yay! I no longer have to turn the gain on full anymore, I can keep it just above 3 o'clock and I can no longer hear the static. Woohoo!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:22 pm

nice.

glad you got it sorted out.