ableton link

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slatepipe

Re: ableton link

Post by slatepipe » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:37 pm

Tarekith wrote:It currently works with Live 9.6 on OSX, Windows, and on iOS devices. More apps to come!
COOL cheers :)

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:19 pm

slatepipe wrote:this is only for IOS stuff isn't it? anyone know if there are any plans for it to be out on windows and/or android stuff?
cheers
To complement Tarekith: it works very well on Windows.

It's currently not available for Android.
And it's apparently not planned, most likely because of latency issues that Android still has.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:52 pm

stuartm wrote: It's currently not available for Android.
And it's apparently not planned, most likely because of latency issues that Android still has.
And possibly lack of music apps and quality control compared to iOS.

Tuesday.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:48 pm

beats me wrote: Tuesday.
Correction. Wednesday. Just got the email. Heh heh.

Haven’t used Link yet. Does this benefit controller apps in any way? You know, the “I can’t get it to connect/connection drops out/connection app-adhoc network required” complaints?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:16 pm

No, it's strictly for syncing, there's no MIDI CC's or anything like that being handled. Think of it more like your Router is sending out a wifi clock signal all the time, and any device on the network can sync to it, or change it. If they leave, the clock is still running.

I'm not saying Live is running Link all the time, but it's a better way to picture it rather than device to device connection. Or at least that's how I picture it mentally.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:29 pm

Tarekith wrote:No, it's strictly for syncing, there's no MIDI CC's or anything like that being handled. Think of it more like your Router is sending out a wifi clock signal all the time, and any device on the network can sync to it, or change it. If they leave, the clock is still running.

I'm not saying Live is running Link all the time, but it's a better way to picture it rather than device to device connection. Or at least that's how I picture it mentally.
Got it. I’d be more excited about hassle free controller apps like there is for Logic and Omnisphere.

Complete steps to set them up:

1. Open DAW/plugin on your desktop
2. Open iOS app
Done.

CheekoStick

Post by CheekoStick » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:57 pm

What are some of the best iOS apps for link?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:07 pm

Gadget, Modstep, TriqTraq IMO. Here's the full list of compatible apps so far:

https://www.ableton.com/en/link/apps/

leighbeater

Post by leighbeater » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:25 am

hi link is nice got it set up

whats the best way to get the audio from the iPad into the computer (i.e. into Ableton Live)?

i plugged a cable straight from iPad headphone outs into my input on my audio interface, but it sounds sh#t

do i need to buy one of those fancy iPad interfaces? Or is there an easy and not so bad way i can do it without buying more gear?

cheers

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:58 am

Trying link for the first time between ipad and live.

I updated iElectribe and MPC Pro to latest version. MPC Pro works, syncs and shows up as a link device in Live. iElectribe also has a tiny LINK button but it does nothing when I click on it.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:33 pm

leighbeater wrote:hi link is nice got it set up

whats the best way to get the audio from the iPad into the computer (i.e. into Ableton Live)?

i plugged a cable straight from iPad headphone outs into my input on my audio interface, but it sounds sh#t

do i need to buy one of those fancy iPad interfaces? Or is there an easy and not so bad way i can do it without buying more gear?

cheers
You are probably going from the 3.5mm jack which is stereo to an instrument input on your interface which is mono, that's why it sounds like ass. If you have a line level input on your interface use that instead.

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:05 pm

I cant get this to work! Grrrr...

Windows 10 and iPad. Laptop on a wired connection and both through the same router but for some reason won't link. Cant sus it out and hate spending too much time on this stuff. Ah well, give it another shot at the weekend.

CarlitoBriganti

Post by CarlitoBriganti » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:04 pm

iloyd2 wrote:Trying link for the first time between ipad and live.

I updated iElectribe and MPC Pro to latest version. MPC Pro works, syncs and shows up as a link device in Live. iElectribe also has a tiny LINK button but it does nothing when I click on it.

I am having this same issue. Other apps are using Link no problem.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Link-supporting apps keep rolling in!! Very exciting!

Recent additions:
Auxy for iPhone (although it stops when you turn Link off and on, and has no background audio which is extremely limiting)
Glitchbreaks
ivcs (I don't remember the name off memory.... So I could be way off)
And a new version of Soundprism made specifically for Link.

For people curious about Link supported apps who do not want to buy one yet, there are a few free apps. Two of which can sync hardware either receiving hardware clock or sending to hardware clock (great for syncing a drum machine or keyboard with wifi instead of wires):
LP-5 (clip launching type app)
Link to MIDI
MIDI Link

I mostly just use Link to jam. I don't think I'd want to try to use it so much for recording, since there are fluctuating times on all the devices as they compensate with eachother. Link feels like an invisible 'conductor' while all other devices are individual instrumentalists following along.

iWilk

Post by iWilk » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:18 pm

CarlitoBriganti wrote:
iloyd2 wrote:Trying link for the first time between ipad and live.

I am having this same issue. Other apps are using Link no problem.
Yep. Same here. Got Korg Gadget working fine but iElectribe is a no go.
Live 10 Suite || Mac Mini || OS 10.15 || MOTU 828x

Find Me On Twitter