VST synths going in and out of key problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Illmatiq

VST synths going in and out of key problem

Post by Illmatiq » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:56 am

This is my first post in this forum, so I'm sorry if this is a repeat question.

Also, i'm fairly new to ableton, and I'm having a problem sometimes with my projects "changing key" by itself when i come back into a project. I'll sometimes turn on my computer, start up ableton, and play a project i was previously working on. However, sometimes when I play the track it sounds like some of my vst synths are super out of tune. So I look at the midi on the piano roll, but it's all the notes i originally wrote in the correct key. So then i'll close out of ableton, and then restart it, and the song will be in key again. I even tried freezing the track (vst synth) and then exporting the track to iTunes, but even when i did that the song was out of key in iTunes. Keep in mind this is something that doesn't happen all the time. Does anybody know what's going on?

Thanks for any insight in advance.

Tarekith

Re: VST synths going in and out of key problem

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:57 am

What's your sample rate set to in the Audio Preferences? Does it change each time you open Live?

Illmatiq

Post by Illmatiq » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:03 am

Tarekith wrote:What's your sample rate set to in the Audio Preferences? Does it change each time you open Live?
It says it's set to 44100

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:17 am

And it sounds out of key at that setting? Usually this happens when people's soundcards accidentally switch to 48kHz from 44.1kHz or vice versa. I was just wondering if perhaps that might be happening here. What soundcard are you using? Does it have any sort of software control panel so you can see if the samplerate of the card matches what Live is set to?

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:00 pm

Are you using the Zebra2 VST synth? If so, have you entered your registration code?

Going in and out of tune periodically is a "feature" of Zebra2 in demo mode. Once you enter a registration code, it stops doing that :-)

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

Illmatiq

Post by Illmatiq » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:06 am

I'm actually just plugging headphones into my Mac. I'm not using a sound card. I don't think the sample rate is changing when I open ableton. I'm not doing it manually at least. It might be doing it on its own. I'll check.

Also, I'm using massive and xfer serum as my two vst

sana48

Post by sana48 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:16 am

Check pitch modulation and detuning routings ;;))

Couldn't resist.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:42 am

If you're using a Mac, you can use the built in Audio MIDI settings app to double check that the computer sample rate and Live's sample rate match.