Is anyone else having controller trouble after 9.6 upgrade?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Is anyone else having controller trouble after 9.6 upgrade?

Post by sporkles » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Live went ahead and auto-updated to 9.6 last night, and now it seems like it's a complete coin toss as to whether or not my controllers are detected on startup. Neither Push nor my Launchpad light up, and when I go to check my MIDI settings, there's a lot of orange in the MIDI ports list. Basically, only my Axiom is working all the time. It seems like I can occasionally get the other controllers detected via a complete reboot, but this is getting ridiculous. I can't imagine what would have changed since 9.5...?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Is anyone else having controller trouble after 9.6 upgrade?

Post by [jur] » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Try downloading the installer and install it manually. Maybe the auto-update didn't complete correctly.
Ableton Forum Moderator

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:18 pm

I already did that - forgot to mention it. :?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:42 pm

What OS are you using?
Could something else have been auto-updated during the same night?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Make sure all your Controller scripts are still there.

Ableton Live 9.6 patcher is crap as usual. Getting fed up With Ableton's half arsed testing practices.

In my case, Kompete Kontrol Remote scripts were removed, but that was a 20 second fix!

What was far worse, in my case, is that half my packs contents were deleted during the update!
The folders were empty! So I had to re-import all these packs again, which takes ages. /facepalm

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:50 pm

I never autoupdate, always use the full version and install it side by side. I keep the factory packs in my own path, not the standard one. I back up everything new, three times a day, except when travelling.

My biggest problems when updating my system, which I did this monday with a clean install of OS X El Capitan, are de-authorizing, moving of data (including backing up the whole drive) and re-installations as well as new authorizations for third party products.

I still prefer clean installations because, while more work, it gives a chance to clean out things and prevents problems, in my experience anyway.

You need to do your home work with major upgrades though making sure everything you use is indeed supposed to be compatible, finding new versions, which takes a little more work with free ones and might even mean a paid upgrade or replacement in the more rare cases of commercial products.

Anyway, I didn't notice any controller issues in concert with Live 9.6 release so far with my Push 1 and my Alphatrack nor with my audio interface.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Guillermo Barrancos wrote:had to re-import all these packs again, which takes ages
Did you mean reinstall the packs?
Make some music!

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:34 pm

Yup the 9.6 installer deleted all contents in the folders of half my packs!

So I had to re-import / install them into Live. :evil:

Absolutely ridiculous that such a bug in the installer made it to live. This should have been easily caught during testing.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:44 pm

[jur] wrote:What OS are you using?
Could something else have been auto-updated during the same night?
he was on Windows 10, may be back on 7... if that helps you help him faster :arrow:

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:24 pm

Hah! Thanks for looking out for me! :lol:

Yeah, I'm on Windows 10, and I haven't the faintest idea what else might have changed when Live updated. When I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, I figured I'd for once stop being so OCD about installed programmes, and just install to the default location all the time. In the past, I would've done stuff like "Program files\Audio\Ableton\Live Suite\Live Suite 9.6"), but this time I let Ableton have their way, which meant installing to ProgramData\Ableton etc. That being said, I did install 9.5 in a subfolder back when it was released, just so I could roll back if needed, but apparently, I forgot to turn auto-update off. Not that 9.5 was a delight either, but at least I never had any trouble with my controllers.

I downloaded and did a full install of 9.6 to Program Files, and the problem persists. And, for good measure, now this happened too (second launch, in an attempt to get it to recognise my controllers without a reboot):

I wonder if Live will one day live up to the zen-like expectations its GUI generates, and simply ... work.

bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:51 pm

My win 10 keeps shutting down USB connections .. could it be that ? I think I might have found the fix

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:49 pm

Yes check your advanced power saving settings.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:11 am

sporkles wrote:Hah! Thanks for looking out for me! :lol:

Yeah, I'm on Windows 10, and I haven't the faintest idea what else might have changed when Live updated. When I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, I figured I'd for once stop being so OCD about installed programmes, and just install to the default location all the time. In the past, I would've done stuff like "Program files\Audio\Ableton\Live Suite\Live Suite 9.6"), but this time I let Ableton have their way, which meant installing to ProgramData\Ableton etc. That being said, I did install 9.5 in a subfolder back when it was released, just so I could roll back if needed, but apparently, I forgot to turn auto-update off. Not that 9.5 was a delight either, but at least I never had any trouble with my controllers.

I downloaded and did a full install of 9.6 to Program Files, and the problem persists. And, for good measure, now this happened too (second launch, in an attempt to get it to recognise my controllers without a reboot):

I wonder if Live will one day live up to the zen-like expectations its GUI generates, and simply ... work.
don't hate me for asking this, but... you do have a 64 bit version of Windows right?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:56 am

H20nly wrote: don't hate me for asking this, but... you do have a 64 bit version of Windows right?

I really don't want to be one of those guys that post all their specs and gear in the sig, but every now and then, it could actually be useful.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:30 am

On win 7x64 vis PXT-Live, ClyphX, Push1, APC40 and an old PhotonX
verything is GOOD
exept the fact
ThAt mY PUSH fOrces me to repower after the first boot and loaded set.
It always freezing after the first trigger.
From this point it will not freeze, even if i restart Live.
So i guess its a WIN7 bug i cannot determine.