Launch quantization in session gone weird

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
malenko

Launch quantization in session gone weird

Post by malenko » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:20 pm

When I'm working in session and launching a scene, when I select next scene to play, it's not launching to the global setting of one bar, it keeps starting perhaps a beat or two in. Even when changing the global it's not launching to the correct setting.
I noticed it the other day and thought perhaps I'd messed with something in that project but started a new one today and it's happening again.
I can't seem to find anything anywhere that is out of place if you know what I mean and have never come across it before. It's making my session unplayable using scene's.

Anyone got any idea what I am probably and stupidly missing?

Many thanks

yur2die4

Re: Launch quantization in session gone weird

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Are the clips properly warped, or the appropriate length for global launch the settings?

Do the clips have different launch settings than global?

malenko

Post by malenko » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:33 pm

All clips so far are midi and the launch settings for clips are global

malenko

Post by malenko » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Any ideas?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:52 pm

My only other guess would be that your midi rhythms or melodies are drawn in a different measure or tempo context on one of your scenes.

malenko

Post by malenko » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:57 pm

I haven't noticed that but I will check. I get it from a simple 1 bar, kick drum loop.
I did think perhaps it was something from Push causing it but I still get it from selecting scene's onscreen.

Cheers mate

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:05 pm

There are two different things also, the clip already playing which is being interrupted should be arranged properly

And the clip that plays next after the previous clip should be arranged properly.

If you're doing standard 4/4 music, then your beats would probably fall on 1.1.1, 1.2.1, 1.3.1, 1.4.1 etc.

And your bars would be portioned in sections of 1.1.1, 2.1.1, 3.1.1 etc.

If not, if for instance you have a drum pattern that ends/repeats at 2.3.1 (instead of 3.1.1), then your clips will sound way off when you're launching them.

malenko

Post by malenko » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:37 pm

All my clips are standard 4/4 loops.
I've just tried again with a set I was working on with simple 4/4 clips and only 3 scene's. The first few times I play around its launching fine but all of a sudden goes out. And whereas last night it was launching a couple of beats in, this time it was launching slightly early from beat 1 from the next bar.
I'm just downloading 9.6 and gonna install, perhaps there is a little bug that may disappear after updating

Cheers

malenko

Post by malenko » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Think I've found the problem!

In the set I was working on, I was doing some editing in arrangement and had the loop brace on and length was 0.1.0 and for some reason this was producing the glitch even though I was working fully within session view. As soon as I turned either loop of or extended the loop brace, problem went.

Thank f for that, thought I was going crazy. Shall keep an eye out in future.

And thanks yur2die4 for the suggestions!

I can now sleep easy :lol:

jorgea

Post by jorgea » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:32 am

wholey moley, you saved my life. I have been researching everywhere for why my clips where playing out of sync. The loop switch for arrangement view was toggled on, which I thought would not affect the sessions clips. There should be more information about the arrangements loop switch affecting clips loops. Thanks!

jmax313

Post by jmax313 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:58 am

malenko wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:32 pm
Think I've found the problem!

In the set I was working on, I was doing some editing in arrangement and had the loop brace on and length was 0.1.0 and for some reason this was producing the glitch even though I was working fully within session view. As soon as I turned either loop of or extended the loop brace, problem went.

Thank f for that, thought I was going crazy. Shall keep an eye out in future.

And thanks yur2die4 for the suggestions!

I can now sleep easy :lol:
I have been pulling my hair out trying to find this answer. Thank you!

Steve Norwood

Post by Steve Norwood » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:57 pm

I'm having similar issues and my metronome has just stopped working properly too. Its like it has just totaly lost the beat of the track.

The track is 4/4 but the metronome just will not work on that setting and two of my warped clips won't sinc to the global quanitization and come in a bar too late.

I've checked all the loop braces and the loop start and stop points.

I'm stumped.

Steve

qub1t

Post by qub1t » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:30 am

Holy shit - that loop was fucking with all the session clip quantization. Seems like that would be a disaster if you were in a live performance.

tsurba

Post by tsurba » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:10 pm

Finally a solution!!! In my case the arrangement playhead was on some odd beat which caused these problems. I had arrangement loop activated too but it wasn't even playing inside it but still caused session clips to start at weird places.

I don't think this is something anyone would want to use on purpose. Right?