Buying new gear what happens to your old gear?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Emanresu0891

Buying new gear what happens to your old gear?

Post by Emanresu0891 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:27 am

Every time something shiny and new comes out we want that new thing. I want the Roli Seaboard, but I was thinking.. What do I do with all the midi controllers I currently have. If I trade them in some one else will get them, but ultimately they are going to end up in a landfill someday.

Is there a better way to repurpose old gear? Should manufactures make their products more open and upgradable so we just dont throw out electronics?
It makes me think of apple and how the newest apple computers can not be upgraded at all. What happens to the computer when it is considered obsolete? How much chemicals are going to end up in a land fill because of our electronics hoarding.

And to think all of these electronics are relatively new. For thousands of years people did not use electronics and did not have to worry about their water supply being poisoned due to wastefulness.

Then there is cell phones and tv's. A tv is never good enough. You always need a higher resolution. Phones are never fast enough... or are they? How far are we going to take this?

arctic ranger

Re: Buying new gear what happens to your old gear?

Post by arctic ranger » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:55 am

i remember after the chemical brothers released "exit planet dust" an interviewer was lamenting about how they had a s1100 sampler(or other similar) used as a doorstop.
back then i thought (indignantly) "WTF! how could someone treat something so full of creative potential so horribly!!"

some XX jaded years later, guess whose got a microbrute propping up a door to the laundry and the missus squacking away cause i dont use it?

....actually is there some deeper meaning or am I just :x
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:39 am

I happily sell my old gear if it's not getting used, I'd rather someone get some use and enjoyment out of it.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:59 am

I'll happily take your old gear.Talented but poor :wink:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:57 am

My old gear?
I pretend to myself I'm going to sell it.
I take some great pictures of it, then I put it in my attic until I have time to deal with it, then a friend says "You still selling that old X, can I try it out?" . They borrow it for 6 months and when I finally remember who I lent it to they have re-loaned it to another guy who is currently on tour. Two years later when I bump into that dude at a party he has no recollection of ever borrowing my X, in fact he's pretty sure that a different guy has it, or had it, until his house burned down.

It's a very efficient system

I have dispersed quite a nice mixing desk, an effects rack, some collectible synths/samplers and most of my old shitty sound devices this way.

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:18 pm

I've still got reel to reel tape decks down in the basement. I'm a romantic who finds it difficult to leave old loves.

I like Angstroms approach though. Might have to give that a try. :)
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Angstrom wrote:My old gear?
I pretend to myself I'm going to sell it.
I take some great pictures of it, then I put it in my attic until I have time to deal with it, then a friend says "You still selling that old X, can I try it out?" . They borrow it for 6 months and when I finally remember who I lent it to they have re-loaned it to another guy who is currently on tour. Two years later when I bump into that dude at a party he has no recollection of ever borrowing my X, in fact he's pretty sure that a different guy has it, or had it, until his house burned down.

It's a very efficient system

I have dispersed quite a nice mixing desk, an effects rack, some collectible synths/samplers and most of my old shitty sound devices this way.
I like your system, I let a friend who does e-bay selling, low ball me and handle the posting and advertising of the product as well as the shipping, etc...I pay him for his efforts, and imagine he is making a few extra coins in the process....I am ok with that, I don't have the time and energy at this stage of my life to deal with it, so no worries. It is win-win for them (buyer and representative), and dipped with a little lube for me the seller.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:11 am

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=214711 :x

In all seriousness, I'm about ready for a VST clear out, along with some hardware.
My method with hardware is Craigslist and insanely cheap. I don't have the patience with hardware to wait for a bite or ebay etc.
Plus I love a good deal, so I return the favor when I sell. Software wise, KVR is great for selling VSTs etc. you don't use anymore.

Emanresu0891

Post by Emanresu0891 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:35 am

Machinesworking wrote:viewtopic.php?f=40&t=214711 :x

In all seriousness, I'm about ready for a VST clear out, along with some hardware.
My method with hardware is Craigslist and insanely cheap. I don't have the patience with hardware to wait for a bite or ebay etc.
Plus I love a good deal, so I return the favor when I sell. Software wise, KVR is great for selling VSTs etc. you don't use anymore.
I get selling something for a low price and people reusing gear, but my point is at least some of this stuff is going to end up in a landfill.
I feel there is too many things being produced and until we can figure a way to recycle every single component humans need to slow electronics production down.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:44 am

If you truly believe that then get a used acoustic guitar and go to recording studios. :P
Beyond that we are going to use resources and in some ways good hardware is the best you can do. Buy a good amp people covet, and barring accidents it will last 30-40 years.
Compare that to computers that last 5 years or so.

I'm all for recycling and worrying a bit about that stuff, but getting carried away about it is ridiculous.
You want to have the least amount of impact you can on this planet? don't have any kids.

Do what you can to lessen your impact, but fretting about it is useless, you're alive, you're part of the machine, you take up resources, get over it.
Any other animal would do the same thing in our shoes, and surprise! we're animals. :)

Emanresu0891

Post by Emanresu0891 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:30 am

Machinesworking wrote: Any other animal would do the same thing in our shoes, and surprise! we're animals. :)
Good point :lol:

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:52 pm

What happens to your old gear? It goes to silicon heaven of course ;)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:12 am

I always try to find a new use for what I have or it is sold if it cannot work for something or someone else.

I have just updated my audio interface on one of my machines and now have a Presonus Firebox that's in new looking condition with box, cables and everything. Works perfectly... as long as you don't have windows 10, but I could still get $50 for it and it has served me well.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:29 pm

I abandoned my entire old hardware setup at my cousin’s back in 2006 for safe keeping. This included a big fancy production desk with rack mounts, 2 guitars, a bass, a Emu sampler, a Virus Indigo, Roland v-drums, some rack effects, a rolling rack box, and a pre Mac Pro Mac tower. I’m thinking an easy 3k – 4k in gear. My cousin is a vocalist and always in bands. I hope he got some use out of the gear. We talk maybe once a year. The gear never gets mentioned by either of us and I’m not interested in getting it back.

In 2007 I got a laptop and it’s all been software and controllers since then. My old spare gear now gets handed down to my roommate to what I can only describe as a smoke filled and beer soaked music production corner of his room. Any gear that leaves the room is no longer salvageable.

I think old gear gifting is my charity work. I should try to get some kind of receipt so I can maybe make it a tax write off.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:58 am

beats me wrote:I abandoned my entire old hardware setup at my cousin’s back in 2006 for safe keeping. This included a big fancy production desk with rack mounts, 2 guitars, a bass, a Emu sampler, a Virus Indigo, Roland v-drums, some rack effects, a rolling rack box, and a pre Mac Pro Mac tower. I’m thinking an easy 3k – 4k in gear. My cousin is a vocalist and always in bands. I hope he got some use out of the gear. We talk maybe once a year. The gear never gets mentioned by either of us and I’m not interested in getting it back.

In 2007 I got a laptop and it’s all been software and controllers since then. My old spare gear now gets handed down to my roommate to what I can only describe as a smoke filled and beer soaked music production corner of his room. Any gear that leaves the room is no longer salvageable.

I think old gear gifting is my charity work. I should try to get some kind of receipt so I can maybe make it a tax write off.
Poor lonely virus, I hope it is getting some love.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.