Mastering EQ

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
heuristics

Mastering EQ

Post by heuristics » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:02 am

Hey,

I've come across this problem a couple times... I leave quite a bit of headroom during mixdown, export the premaster, then load into a new project. However once I start boosting the overall gain for the final master, I sometimes find I actually mixed the bass in too high. Rather than going back to the mixdown I'd rather just deal with it with EQ while mastering. Any mastering EQ's you recommend? I've been using just the stock ableton EQ8 for this job which seems to be doing the trick alright, but am curious what everyone else is using.

Cheers

Tarekith

Re: Mastering EQ

Post by Tarekith » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:14 am

DMG Equilibrium is my go to.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:35 pm

Why don't you just check how the mix would sound 'mastered' before exporting it? Anyway SPL Passe might be a good option for attenuating frequencies.

Pro-Q and PSP Neon seem to be popular amongst mastering engineers. :)

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:47 pm

I use DMG Equilibrium its got more features than any. Its maker used to work at Focusrite.

Eqeight for Live 9 was remade by Cytomic who also made The Glue and the new filters from The Drop in Live 9.5

Ever since the new Eq Eight theirs been less need to use another.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:01 pm

I agree, I think EQ8 is one of the best sounding built in EQs of any DAW since version 9. For most duties that could work just fine I think.
Tarekith

heuristics

Post by heuristics » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:30 pm

yep very true, EQ8 has been a great step up from Ableton 8 I found. Cheers.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:57 pm

musikmachine wrote:Why don't you just check how the mix would sound 'mastered' before exporting it? Anyway SPL Passe might be a good option for attenuating frequencies.

Pro-Q and PSP Neon seem to be popular amongst mastering engineers. :)
Yup, that's what I was gonna say! If you can get it right at the mix down stage you'll give yourself more flexibility during the mastering!

Anyways, like these chaps have said, EQ8 is really nice. As is Fab Filter's Pro Q2 (great visualization and flexibility) I really like it and I've heard very good things about Equilibrium.

Although I haven't used it extensively on my mixes, I was lucky enough to snag PlugIn Alliance's bx_digital V3. You can really add some nice sheen, punch and stereo-ness to your masters. I presume it's also effective at dialing down the bass, too. It's great...although pricey. I managed to get it for $50 on one of those insane holiday or new year deals.

PS: my mixes always come out too bassy first time around. I typically take about a week to master a track (testing it out on different systems until I find settings which result in a nice compromise).

ZaBong69

Post by ZaBong69 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:08 am

Hi,

I throw in Tokyo Dawn Sliq Eq. The full version has it all, it can go down lower than 30hz for removing low-bass rumble and the auto compensation feature helps you to prevent that "loudness is better" syndrom while
boosting.

Still, EQ8 is a good tool, use it on all other tracks.

Best,

K

JayNiko

Post by JayNiko » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:12 pm

Metric Halo ChannelStrip 2, pretty colored EQ but I like it )

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:35 am

Tarekith wrote:I agree, I think EQ8 is one of the best sounding built in EQs of any DAW since version 9. For most duties that could work just fine I think.
In your hands maybe. I really think EQ8 can't boost well, so I only use it for cutting. It typically sounds like some noise in there to me, especially in the high regions, or like boominess in the lower mids, and this is also when in oversampled mode though that's better. When I use a dedicated plug-in it's sounds more like silk. While very fine in difference, the effect is like getting hit in the face clear. Maybe EQ8 simply is correct and I don't like that? Or it's the Q I just can't get right.

I'm getting that A/B app that helps you hide what you're listening to as I know I might be fooling myself. I tell myself I must be, but when I replace EQ8 I'm happy. It's very versatile otherwise.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:58 am

Tarekith wrote:DMG Equilibrium is my go to.
Do you have any experience of the TDR Nova (free) and TDR Nova – Gentleman’s Edition (40€)? Is it a low cost contender at least for mastering tasks?
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:55 am

I haven't used them myself, but TDR in general makes amazing plug ins. Their Kotelnikov compressor is my go to, amazing transparent.
Tarekith

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:04 pm

Tarekith wrote:I haven't used them myself, but TDR in general makes amazing plug ins. Their Kotelnikov compressor is my go to, amazing transparent.
That's my entry point too. I haven't got the time yet to get the Nova on my master channel, but I plan to try it on my next new project.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
I'm getting that A/B app that helps you hide what you're listening to as I know I might be fooling myself.
That is the 4U+ Blindtest application from Hofa (39.90 € with VAT). Brilliant idea.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:06 pm

I've heard good things about this one too:

http://www.eiosis.com/aireq.html

I haven't tried it myself though.
Tarekith