WOW I'm just in love with this DAW

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lignus

WOW I'm just in love with this DAW

Post by Lignus » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:29 am

I recently swapped to Ableton Live 9 Suite.

I used logic X before this.

It was very hard for me to adapt to the new DAW

But now

OMG man.... it is the most powerful DAW in the world really.

I hated the design at first but now IDGAF
Design doesn't matter at all.

What I like most about Live is that.
It can handle A LOT OF TRACKS/PLUG INS

when I go over like 50 tracks in Logic, it will lag like crazy and makes me afraid of using plug ins as it will get even more lags..
But Ableton live can handle over 60 tracks easily with massive plug ins.

How do they do this?
How are they using my CPU so efficiently?

H20nly

Re: WOW I'm just in love with this DAW

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:33 am

:lol: my first guess... you picked all the right plugins.

glad the switch got you amped up... now go make some music!

Lojik

Post by Lojik » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:50 am

I also switched from Logic X (my Mac was getting slow and I didn't want to buy another one). It took me ages to figure out my workflow, especially how best to mix (I really don't like using sends in Live because everything gets cluttered so now I just use 2 effect chains on channels, 1 dry 1 wet) but now I'm used to it I really like it.

Sound design is so quick and intuitive.

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:34 pm

I agree with first responder. Lol... You really must have chosen the right plugins cause as an ableton fanboy I have no shame in saying I def get better cpu in logic. Esp with high plugin count.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:52 pm

H20nly wrote: glad the switch got you amped up... now go make some music!
Now go make some music and then start complaining finally about Live :)

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Lignus wrote:I recently swapped to Ableton Live 9 Suite.

I used logic X before this.

It was very hard for me to adapt to the new DAW

But now

OMG man.... it is the most powerful DAW in the world really.

I hated the design at first but now IDGAF
Design doesn't matter at all.

What I like most about Live is that.
It can handle A LOT OF TRACKS/PLUG INS

when I go over like 50 tracks in Logic, it will lag like crazy and makes me afraid of using plug ins as it will get even more lags..

How do they do this?
If you truly love Live. Leave this place immediately. Never return.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:59 am

Lignus wrote: when I go over like 50 tracks in Logic, it will lag like crazy and makes me afraid of using plug ins as it will get even more lags..

How do they do this?
Said no one ever before you came along. 8O There must be something fishy with your set up and Logic X, Because for me in Logic 8 VS Live 7, it was dammed near twice as many plug ins in Logic as Live, and that was consistent from Logic 5 to 8, Live 4 to 7. If Logic could load 100 plug ins, Live could only do 60 before audio died. (Logic did have cases were CPU overload messages would pop up inexplicably at times, that might be what you experienced, dunno?)

Petty much with little exceptions along the way on OSX it's been Reaper as most CPU efficient, then Logic followed by DP in second, then Cubase, then Live, and Bitwig in dead last.

None of this matters one bit if you like the workflow, workflow is everything.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:26 am

Machinesworking wrote: None of this matters one bit
Even less given that was all about old versions. :D
Make some music!

ZaBong69

Post by ZaBong69 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:40 pm

kb420 wrote: If you truly love Live. Leave this place immediately. Never return.
Nooooo,

don't scare him away. It's a refreshing perspective. Okay, I must say this now: I DO LOVE LIVE TOO. There.

But, counting by the number of inexplicable crashes I am able to produce each time I try out something new, Live does not seem to love me...

K

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:57 pm

I’m on the side of the isle with those questioning the plugin usage. Maybe he’s a positivity troll.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:31 pm

I love Live's interface mostly especially compared to Logic for the most part, but I never really considered Ableton that CPU effiecient.

But then again it probably depends on what plug-ins you are using and what you mean by effiencient.

Live initially won me over from Sonar mainly because of its "gapless audio", streamlined interface, and a more fluid recording approach. But I continued to mix in Sonar because it could handle a huge number of tracks even though it would click and pop if doing even basic stuff like moving piano roll notes. Sonar would occasionally crash as well and Sonar would crash horribly leaving you with lost work. And during upgrade cycles, Sonar could be extremely buggy.

Live hardly crashed at all back then but once you got to a certain number of tracks, Live would basically grind to a halt (still wouldn't crash but you still couldn't really work because of the slowness), where Sonar would keep going.

This was back in the day when 2 gigs of ram was all you would ever need and 7200 rpm hard drives were considered "fast". Live is probably alot more efficient with high tracks on computers with more and faster memory.

Live has seem to gotten more buggier since like version 5 or so but to be honest I never seen Live as buggy as Sonar was. I remember a few times upgrading to Sonar and the program was basically unusable (some cases even requiring me to do a full OS install). I never had that experience with Live.

Ableton overall is a great DAW though and a game changing DAW at that. Very nice GUI, a blend of simplicity and complexity, and nice effects once you learn them.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:56 pm

We should send a support ticket to live...

" Something is wrong, Live is running great"

please help

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:24 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: None of this matters one bit
Even less given that was all about old versions. :D
Right, because Live is so much better CPU efficient now than it's ever been. :P

Noticeable changes: Logic has gone down slightly, not anywhere near what OP suggests, Cubase has vastly improved it's CPU use at lower usable buffer settings, Reaper stabilized on mac, and DP9 is gearing up for an update that should if they succeed make DP9 the most efficient DAW on OSX.

I keep on meaning to get Logic X for older songs etc. but it's hard to spend $200 on that. I would be willing to bet cold hard cash that Live would still be vastly less efficient than Logic though. Live polls all open tracks for possible tweaks you may do, hence it's mostly glitch free audio engine when editing while the sequencer is running. That's obviously expensive CPU wise. Logic increases the buffer settings for any track not record armed in order to free up CPU for other tasks, something Ableton attempted in v8 (plug in buffer settings) but abandoned in 9.

I'm not a fan of bad information, as H20nly said OP got lucky really, Live is a lot of things, more efficient CPU wise than Logic isn't one of them.