Live 9.6 resampling distortion - What's Happening!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnny Vulcan

Live 9.6 resampling distortion - What's Happening!?

Post by Johnny Vulcan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:25 pm

Hello All - I've only encountered this issue since updating to 9.6. It's really strange and I'm hoping you'll chime in if this has happened to you too.

If I set a track to "resampling", the recorded sound will, intermittently, be distorted in a nasty, squarewaved-up sort of way. Trust me when I tell you this has nothing to do with gain staging. I'm an experienced producer and my understanding of gain staging is solid. Nothing is in the red, at ANY part of the signal chain. Also, like I said, this will happen intermittently, distorted on one pass, clean on the next, no pattern that I can discern. The recorded waves aren't even clipping, they just get all f'd up. Everything sounds normal while monitoring, too.

Here's the weirdest part: If I simply group the tracks that are being resampled, the issue goes away completely - every recording is perfect.
??

Shift Gorden

Re: Live 9.6 resampling distortion - What's Happening!?

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:32 pm

Mate, I want to say I had this same problem the other day when I was resampling the output of one track into another - it drove me mad that I couldn't get the level down at all.

Yeah, I think on my original track the volume was peaking at -6db, but on the target track it was going into the red.

I thought I was just being silly, but maybe it is a thing then? For the life of me, I can't remember how I remedied it - I may have put a Utility on one of the tracks??? Maybe it was a pre/post/mix routing? Sorry I can't be more detailed apart from I experienced something similar!

Johnny Vulcan

Post by Johnny Vulcan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback. In my case though, bringing track levels down or using the utility plug in does not make any difference - the result is still a distorted waveform, just at lower volume. Then, next take, it'll record fine, without my adjusting a thing...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Johnny Vulcan wrote:If I simply group the tracks that are being resampled, the issue goes away completely - every recording is perfect.
I knew there was a reason for me bussing everything. :mrgreen:

What I've seen in Live 9.6 though are overloaded meters into the reds, in Live itself in one of the betas and in the plug-in Tremor from FXpansion. I haven't been able to repeat it since. The sound was not distorted though, so the meters were just wrong.
Make some music!