MIDI controller endless rotaries

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickmike

MIDI controller endless rotaries

Post by mickmike » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:41 pm

Title says it. I cannot find an appropriate midi controller with minimum 8 endless knobs. I need this to avoid jumps, when switching tracks. Bcr is too big, livid instruments too expensive. Best step possible, but don't need pads, and not heard great things on the knobs. Doepfer, cannot find. Is there something I've missed ?

login

Re: MIDI controller endless rotaries

Post by login » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:08 pm

Midi fighter twister.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Nice, but a bit pricey. I need 2

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:08 pm

faderfox ? think there might still be a few of these units remaindered.....might do you a deal if so

http://www.faderfox.de/ld2.html
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

timday

Post by timday » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:20 pm

Novation Nocturn. https://global.novationmusic.com/midi-c ... n?reload=3# If you can get on with Automap it's extremely flexible and you can create loads of pages (one for blue hand, one with custom ccs etc). I think they're discontinued but cheap on ebay and there seem to be some factory refurbs on Amazon.
It's sold as a smart plugin controller but the one thing I never used it for was the built in plugin mapping.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:34 am

Behringer X-Touch mini has 8 detented endless knobs. pretty cheap:

https://www.music-group.com/Categories/ ... NI/p/P0B3M

or like others said :

Dj Tech Tools Midi Fighter Twister.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:39 pm

timday wrote:Novation Nocturn. https://global.novationmusic.com/midi-c ... n?reload=3# If you can get on with Automap it's extremely flexible and you can create loads of pages (one for blue hand, one with custom ccs etc). I think they're discontinued but cheap on ebay and there seem to be some factory refurbs on Amazon.
It's sold as a smart plugin controller but the one thing I never used it for was the built in plugin mapping.
Nocturn is what I use. Works out of the box with rack macros, just for this feature it's worth the money.

The speed dial doesn't work with the native plugins but will work with third party plugins...put the mouse pointer over any control and the speed dial will operate it, knobs or switches. I use this feature a lot.

There's a cross fader which I don't use but can also be mapped to plugin knobs.

Automap's automatic mapping is dumb, it can't differentiate between a switch and a continuous control so it often maps controller buttons to plugin knobs and vice versa. The resulting file though is all text and can be easily edited as you see fit.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:51 pm

I have no suggestions, but if you could build this controller yourself, what features would it have? Also, how much would you want to spend?

timday

Post by timday » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:33 am

doghouse wrote:
timday wrote:Novation Nocturn. https://global.novationmusic.com/midi-c ... n?reload=3# If you can get on with Automap it's extremely flexible and you can create loads of pages (one for blue hand, one with custom ccs etc). I think they're discontinued but cheap on ebay and there seem to be some factory refurbs on Amazon.
Nocturn is what I use. Works out of the box with rack macros, just for this feature it's worth the money.

The speed dial doesn't work with the native plugins but will work with third party plugins...put the mouse pointer over any control and the speed dial will operate it, knobs or switches. I use this feature a lot.

There's a cross fader which I don't use but can also be mapped to plugin knobs.

Automap's automatic mapping is dumb, it can't differentiate between a switch and a continuous control so it often maps controller buttons to plugin knobs and vice versa. The resulting file though is all text and can be easily edited as you see fit.
Yeah I always used macros on page 1 and custom cc mapping on subsequent pages and left the automatic mapping well alone. Automap works quite well as a control editor, just don't let it map your plugins when you install it!

It occurs to me that you can also map Arturia Beatsteps to midi ccs in controller mode if you want something that will step sequence as well. The original beatstep is pretty cheap now.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:34 pm

I would build a simple 16 minimum endless rotary box, that I would then label, and have perfect Juno or sh101. Twister I guess. But bit pricey :)