ableton on a new windows 10 laptop.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brian sansone

ableton on a new windows 10 laptop.

Post by brian sansone » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:37 am

Ok its getting about time to retire my current laptop.
Its a windows 7 machine with 8gb ram, and a 1T harddrive.
Its done well for me , except Ive always had a weird latency problem.
Probably 500 milliseconds, from controllers, from the computer's own keyboard, and even a mouse click.
Anyways, i'm looking at a new laptop with similar specs , except..... They all run windows 10 now.
I'm petrified that getting everything working will be a nightmare disaster.
I run Ableton suite , Komplete 10, and a whole hell of a lot of plug ins.

What do I do? What can I expect?
Anybody been down this road yet???

Brian

sana48

Re: ableton on a new windows 10 laptop.

Post by sana48 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:47 am

Don't fret, look at it as a fresh start. I recently upgraded to a new SSD drive and the amount of plugins I had to reinstall was enormous. I make sure to keep all my vst serials in a secure cloud folder.

As far as a new computer and latency- that kinda depends on what sound card/audio interface you are using. The best investment as far as load times go is an SSD drive, you'll never regret the investment. I've never produced from a laptop, I swear by towers so I have no clue how much an SSD is for a laptop.

Windows 10 is actually really good as far as my experience goes. I recently accepted the free upgrade from 7 and I am very pleased. Windows 10 is a lot like7 actually, I simply made a few desktop shortcuts to make it feel more like 7.

No worries brother, exciting times!

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:17 am

I'm using Asus N550JK-i7 and having a great experience so far. Updated from Windows 8.1 and everything went smooth.
Last edited by crystalmsc on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:12 am

just make sure all your device drivers and software are ready for 10 before you take the plunge.

I agree that GUI-wise the hop from 7 to 10 just takes some minor tweaks. and I'd set a default browser besides Edge; it's not that good.

some folks are hung up on privacy concerns, most of that is addressed by getting the Pro version, what remains can be adressed with a little research and is no more disruptive or revealing than anything else on the market.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:32 am

H20nly wrote:
[Windows 10] is no more disruptive or revealing than anything else on the market.
Which remains a false statement. What you wrote before that was more or less factual. Why not rest on that instead of venturing into comparisons with [unnamed] OSes, whose security and privacy situations you obviously know very little about?
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:26 pm

instead of following me around claiming Windows 10 is Satan and in the process implying Apple is a harem of angels, why don't you prove it?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Seriously? One more osx VS windows fight?
Com'on, it's completely pointless and you've already played that game a billion times.
Please...
J.
Ableton Forum Moderator

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:20 pm

[jur] wrote:Seriously? One more osx VS windows fight?
Com'on, it's completely pointless and you've already played that game a billion times.
Please...
J.
who's fighting? i'm posting real life shit. just because Stromkraft doesn't believe it, he's being all grumpy about it. i can't help it if his pretentiousness is in the way of his ability to apply reason. i even posted code in the last thread that shows a user where the woes are controlled. ffs.

would you be chiming in if we were debating RME vs. UAD? Maschine vs. Push? the OS is a tool and the only ongoing complaint i'm seeing about it is privacy. i call bullshit or at least... equal bullshit to other vendors. in both these threads the OP asked a question and got on topic answers. hell, even Stromkraft's retorts are on topic and neither of us have gotten out of hand, so what gives?

forums are for having a conversation, and in conversations sometimes both parties do not agree. so either
A. Ableton creates a new rule that Operating Systems discussions are strictly forbidden
B. you back off and let us present our proof that will either answer the questions or help serve to inform the next user who asks...

... and there will be more who ask. no?

ark

Post by ark » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:56 pm

brian sansone wrote:Ok its getting about time to retire my current laptop.
Its a windows 7 machine with 8gb ram, and a 1T harddrive.
Its done well for me , except Ive always had a weird latency problem.
Probably 500 milliseconds, from controllers, from the computer's own keyboard, and even a mouse click.
I think in your shoes I would first try getting an audio interface that supports ASIO and see if that will get rid of your latency problem. If it is as long as half a second, I flatly do not believe that the nature of the computer itself is the problem--only the nature of the audio interface. So why not just replace that and see if it will do what you want? The longer you wait, the faster the eventual replacement will be for the same price.

dsu

Post by dsu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:21 am

Windows 10 on a SSD, Ableton 9.6 works without any problems. However, Windows 10 is even more annoying than Window 8 (which could be fixed with Classic Shell).

What annoys me is losing control of the computer to windows updates. And as Murphy predicts Windows decides to do updates right when i want to get work done.

This started while I was working in Ableton on my Win 8 system when Windows update said " I'm going to restart you computer and install Window 10." This message locked the screen keyboard. I couldn't research it and made the wrong choice. Managed to get to Task Manager, then to Ableton to save my work and did a shut down. Unplugged the network started up and the Windows 10 update had not started so I disabled the ethernet card. And prepared to a Windows 10 upgrade which I performed on a Windows 7 disk I had.

Strike One for Windows Update.

Last week sometime another Windows update showed, up my only choices - updates and restart or reboot. I tried changing the time to schedule the update but it didn't do anything. At the end of the update and it took the update 30 minutes to complete (I had a deadline) After the update I had a Windows Explore that I hate. One of the good things about the earlier Windows 10 shell was a lot of administrative function were one right click away. This update made them two clicks away. Since I regularly run as a limited user this is yet another irritation when I want to do something.

Strike two for Windows update.

To prevent strike 3 I'm considering installing a Write filter like Deep Freeze on my DAW drive. This will stop all unwanted changes. Only write enable the disk when I want to install new software. Since my DAW regularly runs with the ethernet card disabled, Windows update never gets to call home and wreck my configuration. Of course when software was to authorize I need to turn on the network and then Windows update can do all sorts of nonsense. What I need is a reverse firewall that block access to Microsoft. This is getting complicated.

There are already a bunch of Mac laptops in the house so it's not like I'm Mac adverse. But getting the hardware configuration I have in a Mac is stupid expensive. I just priced out a rough equivalent and its $4.5k. I could build my own for about $2k.

For a long time I was happy working a little bit harder in the Windows world to save some money. The benefits of core audio, and the ability to use Logic are beginning to tip the equation.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:40 am

dsu wrote:Windows 10 on a SSD, Ableton 9.6 works without any problems. However, Windows 10 is even more annoying than Window 8 (which could be fixed with Classic Shell).

What annoys me is losing control of the computer to windows updates. And as Murphy predicts Windows decides to do updates right when i want to get work done.
open a command prompt by right clicking on it and choosing 'Run As Administrator'

paste in the following:

REM schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Automatic App Update" /Disable

Hit Enter.
This should disable the Auto App Updates.

Windows updates themselves need to be deferred or turned off in Group Policy
Here's an easy enough to follow article that will explain how to do defer: http://www.howtogeek.com/221903/how-to- ... indows-10/

hth

dsu

Post by dsu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:17 am

H20nly wrote: open a command prompt by right clicking on it and choosing 'Run As Administrator'

paste in the following:

REM schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Automatic App Update" /Disable

Hit Enter.

Here's an easy enough to follow article that will explain how to do defer: http://www.howtogeek.com/221903/how-to- ... indows-10/

hth
Thanks for the points H2O. Are these things sticky? I've tried turning things off but they keep resetting themselves, like Windows Defender, turn off Active Protection and it turns itself back on. For Windows 8 I had a powershell script that turned a bunch of stuff off but it doesn't work in Windows 10. :^(

Edit Just found this note that looks promising. http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-wind ... nistrator/ Trying it now.

dsu

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:53 pm

For now don't install GeForce driver v 364.47:
http://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-drivers- ... hic-errors
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:25 pm

dsu wrote:
H20nly wrote: open a command prompt by right clicking on it and choosing 'Run As Administrator'

paste in the following:

Hit Enter.

hth
Thanks for the points H2O. Are these things sticky? I've tried turning things off but they keep resetting themselves, like Windows Defender, turn off Active Protection and it turns itself back on. For Windows 8 I had a powershell script that turned a bunch of stuff off but it doesn't work in Windows 10. :^(

Edit Just found this note that looks promising. http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-wind ... nistrator/ Trying it now.
that link you found has some good stuff in it.

apologies... i should have posted this for you yesterday, but here's a command line to force the updates to notify and present the option to schedule:
it's a little faster this way :wink:

just remember to do if from an elevated command prompt (Run As Administrator)

also, i posted a more in depth group of command lines in another thread that can be run to modify things of this nature. you can cherry pick among them and change "disable" to "enable" later if you don't like the results - for example, i found that disabling Cortana completely disabled the ability to type to search the program files menu so i renamed the modified file by removing .bak

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=219983&start=42