Syncing audio on a Macbook with visuals NOT on a macbook ...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lolalola

Syncing audio on a Macbook with visuals NOT on a macbook ...

Post by lolalola » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi,
I've a simple enough question I think - onstage I use Ableton Live in Arrangement view with various backing tracks. I trigger the start point of these with location markers.
I would like for Ableton to 'tell' my iPad Mini (which will have video files on it, and is connected to a projector) to trigger videos simultaneously.
I was wondering if Ableton Link offered anything like that as a solution for me, or perhaps anyone out there may do something similar onstage and would like to share their set up? I don't want to have to use an additional MBP, so was wondering what my options were - thanks!

Stromkraft

Re: Syncing audio on a Macbook with visuals NOT on a macbook ...

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:28 pm

lolalola wrote: I would like for Ableton to 'tell' my iPad Mini (which will have video files on it, and is connected to a projector) to trigger videos simultaneously.
This is a very interesting idea that I don't have an immediate solution for so just returning some thoughts. There might be a number of solutions but the natural thing to search for would be to find link-compatible video playback apps. Alternatively find an video playback app that plays back the way you want and can sync to MIDI Time Code for instance.

As long as you can send a sync signal from Live into a little network, Wifi or cable, you can use whatever playback facility you want that can sync to that signal.

I wouldn't expect a large assortment of different apps that can do this on iPad if any, but good to look around.
Make some music!

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
lolalola wrote: I would like for Ableton to 'tell' my iPad Mini (which will have video files on it, and is connected to a projector) to trigger videos simultaneously.
This is a very interesting idea that I don't have an immediate solution for so just returning some thoughts. There might be a number of solutions but the natural thing to search for would be to find link-compatible video playback apps. Alternatively find an video playback app that plays back the way you want and can sync to MIDI Time Code for instance.

As long as you can send a sync signal from Live into a little network, Wifi or cable, you can use whatever playback facility you want that can sync to that signal.

I wouldn't expect a large assortment of different apps that can do this on iPad if any, but good to look around.

Yeah, I've not found anything suitable as yet in terms of apps.... but I'd imagine that in 2016 it's something that's a/available, and b/being done onstage more and more. Wifi or bluetooth of course would be great!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Here an app: VJay that has some kind of Audio sync, which is an alternative to Time Code. It might have that as well, but I couldn't find that listed.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:47 pm

TouchVIZ seems to support CoreMIDI, so I assume it can sync to MIDI.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:51 pm

vidibox seems a very interesting mashup tool, but I don't see sync anywhere. It has MIDI support though.
Make some music!

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:32 pm

forget it, sorry

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:04 am

As a crusty old VJ type, could I suggest you're not necessarily looking for sync, but triggering via MIDI?

A visuals app the can do that reliably, and output decent-sized files under iOS would be. . . interesting 8)

2c from a two-laptop schlepper.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:19 pm

Stromkraft wrote:TouchVIZ seems to support CoreMIDI, so I assume it can sync to MIDI.
TouchVIZ is fabulous, I use it extensively. You can send it CC data to change clips and modify effects: http://hexler.net/docs/touchviz-midi-reference

Also, TouchVIZ can use the camera as in input source. Theoretically you could set up a wireless network, use an Apple TV to output to a projector, set up airplay from an iPad running TouchVIZ with the camera input, pass the iPad around a party, and control FX on the iPad with MIDI over the wireless network. You'd end up with some really fucking cool crowd-sourced visuals... Provided some punter doesn't nick the iPad. :D

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:15 pm

hacktheplanet wrote: You'd end up with some really fucking cool crowd-sourced visuals... Provided some punter doesn't nick the iPad. :D

Who cares as long as you still get some signal? :mrgreen:
Make some music!