Confused about drum sequencers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ninjamarsh

Confused about drum sequencers

Post by Ninjamarsh » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi,

I am looking to expand my beat-making capacities from the piano roll in Live, but finding a suitable controller has been hard. Currently I have Volca Beats, Trigger Finger Pro, Arturia SparkLE, BeatStep Pro and MPD226/232 (at a stretch). Trigger Finger Pro was my original plan, but many people say that the support and software updates are non-existent, then I thought about the BeatStep, but found that it could only sequence one sample at a time, making it useless for drums.

Any help would be much appreciated.

prebentious

Re: Confused about drum sequencers

Post by prebentious » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:59 pm

get push

Ninjamarsh

Post by Ninjamarsh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:09 am

prebentious wrote:get push
Wanted to, but money is an issue and my options are all about the same price.

h:nez

Post by h:nez » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:31 am

i have a beatstep pro.
it has a dedicated drumtrack and 16 pads. you can assign a midi note number to each pad and sequence the pads in the drumtrack (in principle the drumtrack consists of 16 tracks). so you can sequence 16 different samples, f.e inside a drumrack.
i use it to sequence an external drum synthesizer (vermona drm) and it works very well that way.
PC/Win10/RME FW802
APC40/Clavia Micromodular/Sherman FB2
Vermona DRM MK2/Dynacord VRS23/H9/BIM
Minimoog Voyager AE/Modular/Argon8/RD6/TD3
Live Suite/Reaktor/SomeFreePlugs/
____
draw a straight line and follow it
soundcloud
youtube
facebook

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:19 am

Ninjamarsh wrote:
Are you saying you think an original second hand Push won't be fit for the job? IMHO uou're obviously wrong and need to rethink your dismissal.

I have an original Push and I deliberately didn't get a Push 2. Some people are reselling still.
Make some music!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:55 pm

Ninjamarsh wrote:Hi,

I am looking to expand my beat-making capacities from the piano roll in Live, but finding a suitable controller has been hard. Currently I have Volca Beats, Trigger Finger Pro, Arturia SparkLE, BeatStep Pro and MPD226/232 (at a stretch). Trigger Finger Pro was my original plan, but many people say that the support and software updates are non-existent, then I thought about the BeatStep, but found that it could only sequence one sample at a time, making it useless for drums.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have Maschine Mk1 and it works pretty good with Live. That said I have been keeping my eyes on Push.

timday

Post by timday » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:22 pm

There's a launchpad remote script called I think Launchpad95 that lets it work like Push. It isn't so slick in a lot of respects and you have to learn it but the drum step sequencing works pretty well.

Ninjamarsh

Post by Ninjamarsh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Ninjamarsh wrote:
Are you saying you think an original second hand Push won't be fit for the job? IMHO uou're obviously wrong and need to rethink your dismissal.

I have an original Push and I deliberately didn't get a Push 2. Some people are reselling still.
Sorry, not trying to dismiss anything. I wanted Push, and it is very suitable for the job, but the price in the UK is not in the same bracket as the options I had already listed. :)

Ninjamarsh

Post by Ninjamarsh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:56 pm

timday wrote:There's a launchpad remote script called I think Launchpad95 that lets it work like Push. It isn't so slick in a lot of respects and you have to learn it but the drum step sequencing works pretty well.
Wow! Haven't seen that before. I'll give it a go as I have a Launchpad. :D

Ninjamarsh

Post by Ninjamarsh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:58 pm

h:nez wrote:i have a beatstep pro.
it has a dedicated drumtrack and 16 pads. you can assign a midi note number to each pad and sequence the pads in the drumtrack (in principle the drumtrack consists of 16 tracks). so you can sequence 16 different samples, f.e inside a drumrack.
i use it to sequence an external drum synthesizer (vermona drm) and it works very well that way.
BeatStep Pro sounds like a good idea, but can you use it as a midi controller to sequence drum kits in a DAW, so that you don't need an external drum synth?

Ninjamarsh

Post by Ninjamarsh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:37 pm

timday wrote:There's a launchpad remote script called I think Launchpad95 that lets it work like Push. It isn't so slick in a lot of respects and you have to learn it but the drum step sequencing works pretty well.
Just gave it a go and it is amazing. I can see what you mean by it not being slick, but the functionality is really good. I don't need a sequencer now, so I think I'll pick up the MPD218/226, for the pads and the mixer controls. Thanks!