Control clip pitch from MIDI note

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
lpagross

Control clip pitch from MIDI note

Post by lpagross » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:24 pm

I really want to control the clip's pitch knob from my keyboard so that I can transpose a clip in performance and know what pitch it's going to jump to. Sometimes I want to transpose a clip by just a few notes per octave over a range of three or four octaves, using a MIDI CC knob is hit or miss as I have to keep looking at the screen to make sure I've hit the transpose value I want.
Is there anything out there that does this already or does anyone have a work around? If not is this a feature that Ableton could include in future updates?
Gordon

FrancisBegbie

Re: Control clip pitch from MIDI note

Post by FrancisBegbie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:04 pm

lpagross wrote:I really want to control the clip's pitch knob from my keyboard so that I can transpose a clip in performance and know what pitch it's going to jump to. Sometimes I want to transpose a clip by just a few notes per octave over a range of three or four octaves, using a MIDI CC knob is hit or miss as I have to keep looking at the screen to make sure I've hit the transpose value I want.
Is there anything out there that does this already or does anyone have a work around? If not is this a feature that Ableton could include in future updates?
Gordon
You can check out max4live devices. Maybe something like this will do the trick.
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... pitch-bend

lpagross

Post by lpagross » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:58 pm

I thought that it was possible to map pb to control parameters in Live? I've tried with my SL61II and pb now controls volume on a track. Am I missing something, sorry.
G

FrancisBegbie

Post by FrancisBegbie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:11 pm

lpagross wrote:I thought that it was possible to map pb to control parameters in Live? I've tried with my SL61II and pb now controls volume on a track. Am I missing something, sorry.
G
I am not sure if I understand you right.
It is not possible to map the pitchbend to a macro control in live9.
You will need max4live to do that.
Or you try a workaround with Live9 only:
You can make a midi track and use various empty dummy clips with the pitchbend set to a specific value and send the midi out to the synth which you want to automate. You can map the clips to your computer keyboard or a midi controller and trigger the clips on the fly while your are playing the synth.

lpagross

Post by lpagross » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:54 am

Ok I see, but I want to control the pitch of my clip using MIDI note values,so that I can choose discrete values, not constantly changing ones. Is there a workaround for this?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Clips can be MIDI-mapped to a range of notes. For example, let's say you want to trigger a clip over a 2 octave range (C2 to C4, with middle C being the natural or "root" pitch)

Enter MIDI-mapping mode.
Select the clip you want to trigger By clicking on it with the mouse.
Press and hold the middle C on your keyboard.
While still holding down middle C, press the C an octave below, then the C an octave above.
Release all the keys and exit MIDI-mapping mode.

You have just assigned your clip over a 2 octave range, the clip will play, and transpose using the Warp mode selected for that clip.

When assigning, the first note you press sets the "root" key, and the next two notes set the upper and lower range. There is fun to be had by choosing different warp modes, launch modes, and whether or not Legato is turned on for the clip.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud