iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

Re: iPad

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:13 pm

There's an app for that.

It was awkward, though the new iPad looks nice. Not sure I'll upgrade my Air2 this time though, the music apps I mainly use all work fine right now, and my book reading probably won't benefit from the A9x.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm mostly interested in the new adapter.

I really wish they had simply called it an iPad Air 3.

The 'pro' name just stinks of Apple misreading the wants of their customer base.

Yes, they added the pen(cil) on the pro, but for the most part it was an oversized tablet with extra processing. Nothing distinct enough to set it apart from the other iOS devices.

When people asked for a 'pro' tablet, they were asking for standard os, not ios, on a tablet. Apple went went with their shoddy intuition on that instead of waiting a few years to where they might actually have been capable of delivering.

But yeah, the new adapter looks nice at least :P

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:01 pm

yur2die4 wrote:When people asked for a 'pro' tablet, they were asking for standard os, not ios, on a tablet. Apple went went with their shoddy intuition on that instead of waiting a few years to where they might actually have been capable of delivering.
i dunno...

the way they're going, i wouldn't be surprised to find that they mean for iOS to be the OS for everyone without the money for a $3000.00 machine.

i'm thinking iOSMac and iOSMacbook might be a thing.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:17 pm

That could be interesting, except that the majority of apps do not support mouse.

Average customers who aren't fully knowledgable may purchase an 'iOS' laptop and intend to use standard OS features and software, then Apple will have a lot of upset customers.

I'm not sure how they could make it happen, or if it would be feasible in any way. They make more money and have more satisfied customers by staying the expensive route.

If someone wants iOS, they can get a tablet or phone/iPod

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:24 pm

maybe. or maybe they keep muddying the waters until everyone says "that looks like coffee! can i have a cup?"

your mouse point is a good one. let's wait and see if the next keynote talks about adding a mouse :P

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:38 pm

Seems to me that they may be looking toward an eventual convergence of OSes at some point in the future when processing power for mobile devices gets to a certain level. The fact that Swift has gone even further in the direction of unifying the coding environment for OS X and iOS makes this not too far-fetched, IMO.

That said, I can't ever see wanting to do serious work on a tablet (at least the kind of work I do) unless it was graphics related (e.g. Illustrator, Finale). I've just about gotten fed up with typing on glass and have nearly rage-bricked my iPhone several times after having something I just typed come out as autocorrected gibberish.

:x
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:10 am

Yeah, the typing thing and the voice recognition thing need work. A few years ago we were amazed at the technology... Now we get to sit back and see all its flaws and blemishes... like a bona fide human relationship; the pimples on her booty are real.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:50 pm

What I don’t get is the industry pushing everybody to the cloud over the last 3 or 4 years and then BAM!! 256GB iPad. That’s more than most people need on a computer but falls short of what most women need for 1 year’s worth of photos.

But that’s probably the size I would get because I could fit my entire music library and plenty of apps with room to grow. It would be nice to use apps like Traktor without having to manually manage tracks available on the iPad.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:09 pm

Odd ghost behavior on my iPad. The wifi at work sometimes brings everything to a crawl. So when people start whining I quietly go back to the closet and unplug it. The LTE chip on my iPad is fried and I’m also not paying for the service. I put my iPad in shuffle mode for the few random tracks I do have installed on it, but it’s also playing tracks I don’t have installed on it. 8O And when I go to the album those tracks are from and tap a different track it says I need to connect to wifi. 8O And if I’m not connected to the internet in any way how is it even showing tracks I don’t have installed? 8O

Alright, on the last point there probably is some kind of master file that shows all the tracks in your library even when they aren’t physically present, but 8O to the rest.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:51 pm

I can’t believe there are still spec monkeys out there just blindly taking numbers at face value. For some it’s a deal breaker that the new 9.7” iPad Pro only has 2GB of RAM and USB 2. I’m on an iPad Air 1 and from what I’ve heard the Air 2 is silky smooth with 2GB of RAM and the USB on the iPad is near useless anyway so it doesn’t matter if it’s USB 1 or USB 50.

Apple has proven over and over again that the spec numbers don’t matter. It’s how the software works with the hardware, but idiots just want to look at numbers and go “Deal breaker!! I’ve seen higher numbers on alternative hardware!!” :x :x :x

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:17 pm

I think what annoys people is the suggested concept "it is the pro but smaller, whip out your wallets everyone", and the reality "it has some pro features, but we took a few features out...and still bumped it up to a Pro price".

I think people skipped the pro because it was too big, but they liked the power it offered. Apple is acting as if they are giving it to you, .....but if you read the fine print it is watered down.

It wouldn't be a problem if Apple did not try to hype it in Comparison to the pro. But because they did, it disappoints people.

Although this won't be an issue for quite some time, Apple has a trend of dropping support for devices when the ram doesn't make the cut. By choosing to go 2gb instead of 4, that....in fantasy mind you, brings the device that much closer to the cut.

Are they holding back so they have something to release next year? Was it just not technically (and financially) feasible presently? Who knows. But tablets are a bit of an investment for some, and they do not want to buy one every other year, when their phone already requires that.

I will add that I am very happy with my Air 2 :) (my first tablet investment...after waiting and lusting for a good number of years --the thumb reader finalized my decision because of such great experience with it on the 5s...which I will need to replace soon..--). Seems at this rate it will stay relevant for some time.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:19 pm

I’m on an iPad Air 1 and if I’m not mistaken Apple fell out of their usual refresh cycle with the iPad because they were distracting us with the Apple Watch and/or large iPad Pro. So the Air 2 is a little old now strictly speaking months/years between refresh. For me my Air 1 is working good enough where it wouldn’t make sense to upgrade to a 2 just because it’s cheaper.

The Pro would be a smarter move. Processing power aside – 256GB for my entire music library and apps, touch ID, stereo speakers from any angle (shut up, its’ annoying watching something in landscape and all the sound is coming out 1 side), and the smart keyboard. Straight spec numbers aside, I’m sure it’s more powerful than the Air 2. And has the best screen out of the entire idevice lineup.

Apple’s pricing structure has been suspect ever since Cook took over. Too many variances and previous gens being sold at a discount. They lower the price of a base model but water it down so it really isn’t all that appealing and there comparable products are never on the same tech page. For example both the iPad Pros still don’t have Force Touch.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:11 pm

Ordered up. I’m too poor to bookmark my midlife crisis with a sports car but not too poor to do it with a new iPad. :) :x

And keeping it at 2GB of RAM can also be seen as a good thing because developers will continue to develop for 2GB. Once they jump to 4GB I predict a lot more older iPads are going to choke more frequently.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Apple is working on an original series on app developers and the app economy. Who the hell is going to watch that? I’ll only watch an episode that is dedicated to the 99% of app developers who are making little to no money on their app. Maybe include a little info box on how much money they lost on development. :x

Here’s a better idea. Start a commercial free streaming music video and concert channel that is only available to Apple Music subscribers. <- THAT.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:06 pm

My smart keyboard has shipped. :)

My iPad has not. :x