Encoder tightness on Push 2

Discuss Push with other users.
andimuller

Encoder tightness on Push 2

Post by andimuller » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:50 pm

Just got my hands on a Push 2. To my surprise, the encoders (knobs) vary greatly in tightness...

1: Somewhat loose
2: Tight
3: Tight
4: Semi-tight
5: Extremely loose (and slightly wobbly)
6: Semi-tight
7: Semi-tight
8: Tight

Besides the obvious issue/annoyance with having to apply different force to different knobs, I'm a bit worried about durability. Considering the price, I find this pretty unacceptable.

Is this a general issue? What are your experiences?

tedlogan

Re: Encoder tightness on Push 2

Post by tedlogan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:16 pm

My first Push 2 was roughly the same as yours, except encoder 4 had severe micro-jitter. So adjusting something with a large range, say, a frequency band for EQ8 was a nightmare - it would go up and down in values on its own.

Second Push 2, zero jitter and all encoders much tighter, except for 6 and 8, and encoder 1 had a "hump". If you turn it anti-clockwise, resistance would increase at one point during the rotation - creating a speedbump effect when turning. After taking off the encoder top I noticed it has a very slight bump at the side, which must rub against something slowing it down. I shuffled some of the encoders' tops about and minimised this to an extremely slight speedbump, but now encoder one is very loose. It functions perfectly fine though and does not hamper me in any way.

I'd guess most Push 2's have varying encoder tightness.

andimuller

Post by andimuller » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:11 pm

tedlogan wrote:My first Push 2 was roughly the same as yours, except encoder 4 had severe micro-jitter. So adjusting something with a large range, say, a frequency band for EQ8 was a nightmare - it would go up and down in values on its own.

Second Push 2, zero jitter and all encoders much tighter, except for 6 and 8, and encoder 1 had a "hump". If you turn it anti-clockwise, resistance would increase at one point during the rotation - creating a speedbump effect when turning. After taking off the encoder top I noticed it has a very slight bump at the side, which must rub against something slowing it down. I shuffled some of the encoders' tops about and minimised this to an extremely slight speedbump, but now encoder one is very loose. It functions perfectly fine though and does not hamper me in any way.

I'd guess most Push 2's have varying encoder tightness.
Thanks for your input. I tried taking off the tops as well, but the issue seems to be with the encoders themselves. I also found this on reddit (after the initial pad-talk) https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... sh_2_pads/

My Push 1 's encoders are perfectly aligned when it comes to tightness, though generally a bit tighter.

I went to a local shop to test their Push 2 display model, and that one had the same noticable variation in encoder tightness, but differently distributed.

It's curious, that Ableton lets something like this get past quality control, considering the pricetag and focus on build quality. Could even be a screw, that just needs adjusting underneath each encoder, but I suppose it's bye-bye warranty, once you open it, so...

I've returned mine, but will try my luck with a new one. I really hope that it is not a general issue with Push 2, as it seems like a great controller.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:27 am

Yeah I was just about to exchange the second one, but then decided at the last moment that I don't want to deal with the hassle, and that the third unit would also probably have some minor encoder issues. And I like using it too much to go for a full refund, so I've accepted it.

It is indeed strange that these high-end controllers have this large variance in encoder tightness. It is not something that will get broken in, unless all 8 encoders become very very loose - they're not gonna become tighter of course. That's not really a bad thing for me though as they function perfectly fine.

I guess the potentiometers (not quite sure if it is actually potentiometers underneath the tops) are each screwed in by gnomes of different strengths at the factory.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:26 pm

Mine are all the same level of feel. I got mine when they first announced in November.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Cuv

Post by Cuv » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:05 pm

Just thought I should mention:

Got my Push 2 delivered straight from Ableton yesterday.

All encoders are properly tight, no jitter, all very tidy.

My only issue is that there's a lot of pink in the white pads, but that was quite easy rectified with Push 1, so hopefully will be with this one.

Apart from that though, pretty happy so far :)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:26 am

aha. Perhaps ours is from a specific wonky batch.

No pink pads though.

kope

Post by kope » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:34 am

same problem here. Different resistance to rotation between the 8 encoders

jonesalk

Post by jonesalk » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:03 am

tedlogan wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:16 pm
encoder 1 had a "hump". If you turn it anti-clockwise, resistance would increase at one point during the rotation - creating a speedbump effect when turning. After taking off the encoder top I noticed it has a very slight bump at the side, which must rub against something slowing it down. I shuffled some of the encoders' tops about and minimised this to an extremely slight speedbump
Thanks you for your post. I was very close to sending my new push 2 back, since one encoder had a pretty severe speedbump (excelent description btw)
Shuffling the knob caps fixed the problem completely :-)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:00 pm

Glad it worked for you! Alas for me it hasn't. Jitter severe now. Fortunately, Ableton are willing to replace the unit for only 79 quid! They're gonna send me shipping stuff and everything, so that's all good.