Small analog mixer that doesn't affect sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
toonableton

Small analog mixer that doesn't affect sound

Post by toonableton » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:06 pm

Hey,

I'm looking into buying a small analog mixer that has 6 or more channels (or 3 or more stereo channels). I came across this mixer:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xeny ... x_191246_0

My experience with the behringer xenyx mixers is that they affect the sound. Maybe this is nonsense but maybe some of you share the same experience. And if so do you know a cheap alternative that won't affect your sound so much. I don't have the best studio monitors so I try to get the best out of them.

Regards,
Toon Bosch

doghouse

Re: Small analog mixer that doesn't affect sound

Post by doghouse » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:48 am

Take a listen to the Yamaha MG series mixers.

You're not going to get super transparent sound from low cost mixers.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:27 pm

I just bought a second hand Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro and am digging it. 4 mono inputs with inserts, 4 stereo inputs, 2 aux send receives (mono out, stereo in). It's an older mixer but really nice and built like a tank. You can probably find one for cheap if you look around, I paid $150 for mine.

I don't notice any change to the sound, but YMMV, my standards likely aren't as high as others.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:16 pm

You might want to consider large audio interface for transparency.

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:54 pm

jlgrimes wrote:You might want to consider large audio interface for transparency.
or go digital : http://www.zzounds.com/item--MACPRODX8
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SOUUI12

peace
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:09 am

smutek wrote:I just bought a second hand Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro and am digging it. 4 mono inputs with inserts, 4 stereo inputs, 2 aux send receives (mono out, stereo in). It's an older mixer but really nice and built like a tank. You can probably find one for cheap if you look around, I paid $150 for mine.

I don't notice any change to the sound, but YMMV, my standards likely aren't as high as others.
I have the 1402 Pro which is the same thing just 14 channel and has faders rather than pots for the channels. I bought it second hand quite cheap because it had a faulty main monitor out which was simply a bent pin inside the TRS socket.

Sound and feature set is great (such as the flexible routings) and as you mentioned, these things are tough.

I also have a Presonus Central Station directly controlling my monitors and have my audio interface connected direct to the monitors through one input and through my 1402 into another input which I can A/B switch through. If I setup everything to Unity gain and do an A/B test between my interface directly to the monitors and via the 1402 I notice no change either on my monitors or headphones. Quiet and rather transparent.