MIDI controller with true value pick up

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickmike

MIDI controller with true value pick up

Post by mickmike » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:30 pm

I am using live 8 ( for many moons). I am switching to a small hardware set up, but there are a couple of VSTs that I wanna incorporate. I've midi mapped to a few old midi controllers I have, but even with takeover mode set to pick up, it doesn't wanna know, and jumps between tracks rendering them pretty useless. Can anyone recommend a midi controller, new or old, preferably knobs, and not too big (!?), that works seamlessly with takeover pick up. In fact any controller that does this. It's just 2 VSTs and I'm using 16 parameters on each. Advice would be much appreciated.

doghouse

Re: MIDI controller with true value pick up

Post by doghouse » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:33 pm

I use a Novation Nocturn, it's discontinued. It has endless rotaries with LED rings showing current setting. Whether mapped to a VST using Novation's Automap software or mapped to rack macros, it has no issues with pickup.

I assume other Novation devices with endless rotaries would be the same.

mickmike

Re: MIDI controller with true value pick up

Post by mickmike » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:42 pm

Funnily enough I recently got one of these from eBay. I downloaded the driver, and also had to download auto map, which I didn't want. Seemed to midi map, and work ok, but wasn't in the drop down midi controller tab in preferences. It didn't do takeover mode with the same vst on different tracks. Ableton then crashed on opening every time, so I unistalled it. The behringer 2000 is in the drop down menu. I'm wondering if this would work. Head scratching.