To find his signature/sound style ?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Wakeon

To find his signature/sound style ?

Post by Wakeon » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:58 am

Hey friends!!
I'm always asking the same question since I produce music. Indeed, how to find his music signature/sound style ?
It's a real problem for me at this moment because i'm producing a lot but I never know in what style how to compose a remix or even an orignal track :/
Thanks to you, i hope you could help me :)
Wakeon

beats me

Re: To find his signature/sound style ?

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Don’t put the horse before the cart. Create what sounds good to you. No need to label the genre ahead of time.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:20 pm

You'll know what your signature sound is looking back five years from now. 8)

You can't force it, like beats me wrote just create what you think sounds good.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:58 pm

I'll add my favorite quote of all time:

"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness. Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make." -Bruce Lee

Make the music YOU want to hear, have fun as much as possible during every step of the process. Don't care if it sounds like your idols, don't try and copy what others are doing. Embrace the weird, the quirky, the wrong, and finish your songs so that YOU are happy with them above all else.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:18 pm

And make a lot of stuff.

You'll find yourself habitually doing certain things that you just prefer to do as an artist or as a technique. You won't find out that you have these habits until you've been busy discovering yourself. Don't look 'forward' for your trademark because it will be baseless. You move forward and look back to see what trademark you happen to have discerned for yourself.

You don't have to be limited by those trademarks either. You can let others discern them for you.

If you are asking yourself how artists seem to stand out from others, it's not necessarily because those artists sat down and chose their characteristics. It is often the case that when they are making tracks, and trying to do their best to carry out their vision, the limitations of their tools and the methods they've implemented through experience is what makes their sound.

But chances are, they've stayed busy constantly working on new material. No fucks given about their signature.

Edit: https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/team-su ... n-numbers/ I think this is an interesting story. I believe these people are simply problem solving, and although they are all in a similar social group, their identities come off as very unique because of how they approach problem solving. Most importantly, with a time limit for their game, they don't sit there with reluctance or regret. They just go, they finish, they succeed or fail, but they keep moving forward.

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:55 pm

"Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself." - Miles Davis
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:10 pm

Just try something you haven't tried before every time you open Live. Make a lot of shitty music, and you'll eventually stumble upon something not-so-shitty. It's fun! :D