Sending Program Changes to Effect Plug-Ins (like Presswerk)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stuartm

Sending Program Changes to Effect Plug-Ins (like Presswerk)

Post by stuartm » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:00 pm

Some effect plug-ins, in my case the ones from u-he (Presswerk, uhbik) are capable to receive MIDI program changes to switch presets.

When the FX is sitting on a MIDI track with nothing eles, i.e. no device with audio output, the MIDI PC gets through to the plug-in, but I cannot get audio iinto that channel.
When there is an Instrument before the FX, the MIDI PC does not get through.
When the FX is on an audio track, there is no way to route MIDI PC to it.

So - anybody have any clever / M4L idea how to make this working ?

The idea is that a live performance set I would use a single plug-in instance with preset call-up by MIDI PC rather than having numerous instances and switch via chain selector.

Johnisfaster

Re: Sending Program Changes to Effect Plug-Ins (like Presswerk)

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:23 pm

This should do it. http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=512 I use a different one that I edited but that would should work too.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks for pointing that out, but it doesn't do the trick.
Since it's a M4L MIDI Effect, it can only sit before the Instrument PlugIn, which "catches" the MIDI PC.

But what I'm trying to do is to send a MIDI PC to a device after the Instrument PlugIn.
I've also tried to put the same device you linked into a M4L Audio Effect, but that apparently does send out the MIDI.

Like the MIDI PC from a MIDI clip, the PC from this M4L device gets through to the effects plugin when there is no Instrument in the chain. But then theres no way to get audio in ...

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:36 pm

stuartm wrote:Thanks for pointing that out, but it doesn't do the trick.
Since it's a M4L MIDI Effect, it can only sit before the Instrument PlugIn, which "catches" the MIDI PC.

But what I'm trying to do is to send a MIDI PC to a device after the Instrument PlugIn.
I've also tried to put the same device you linked into a M4L Audio Effect, but that apparently does send out the MIDI.

Like the MIDI PC from a MIDI clip, the PC from this M4L device gets through to the effects plugin when there is no Instrument in the chain. But then theres no way to get audio in ...
just make an extra midi track and then under "midi to" choose the right channel and in the dropdown below "presswerk"

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:03 pm

stoersignal wrote:just make an extra midi track and then under "midi to" choose the right channel and in the dropdown below "presswerk"
Perfect - That did it!
It's not the best solution since I need that extra track, but at least it works.

Actually, I did not know that you could send MIDI to specific devices in a Track. Thanks for the lesson ;)