Why do we make music?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Jay_NJ

Why do we make music?

Post by Jay_NJ » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:20 pm

I never used to think about this - and I used to make a lot more music. Somewhere along the way I started to think the point was to make money. At that point I tried to sound like everyone else and came up short. Tough to do it all at a high level (produce, mix, master). Stopped making music for the most part other than playing around occasionally. Still maintained a consistent interest in it though.

I recently decided that it's something I want to get back into. I want to get back into it for the reasons I first started. It's fun right? Bought an Ableton Push 2 for inspiration. So far I'm really enjoying the hands on experience. Let's see how it goes.

It's funny though. All the time spent finding just the right sounds and getting the mix to sound as good as it possibly can, just for my girlfriend and a couple friends to hear. It didn't used to matter and it shouldn't now.
Last edited by Jay_NJ on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Re: Why do we make music?

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:39 pm

When you die it’s something people can listen to, to remember you by while entertaining the possibility that you had more depth than they ever gave you credit for.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Bob Ross showed a lot of people the joy of painting.
(I bet he made some good money doing it, but the point is that it's a craft to develop and refine as any other)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:55 pm

Have you read that David Byrne book?

The first chapter or so is online here.
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-mc ... usic-works

It's interesting on the topic of "why we make music", because it takes it away from the idea of the unique artist with something to say, and more into the realm of "music echoes the social and physical environment"

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:18 am

I started when I was 12 to record nonsense with my friends and change the pitch. Not much has changed.

The point of making music is to make music. It's meaningful enough on its own, even if I'm the only one who hears it.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:50 pm

Yeah, it's fun to make music just for yourself but ...

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

music is really something that exists between people.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:16 pm

What if I make music for trees that are about to fall down?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:18 pm

Emo tree music?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:50 pm

"I'm so depressed, think I'll lay down for awhile."

Yeah, I could see it.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:52 pm

i used to do it when i was a young teenager with a friend, we had fun just squawking into a tape recorder and making one off cassettes, hand written covers with song titles and stuff. i didnt do it again much until my early thirties when i got hold of a four track tape recorder and some cheap instruments from boot sales and found it was quite enjoyable getting wrecked with a few friends and jamming. nowadays i dont get quite so wrecked but still enjoy jamming and recording with other people. if im on my own i make tunes as i find it much more satisfying than watching shit on tv. although sometimes i watch shit on tv too, but not much. its nice to document it and look back

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:37 am

to communicate. Music is the sound of mathematics, the first language.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:26 pm

For pussy and money of course...
Too old for drugs unfortunately...
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:50 am

Goddard wrote:For pussy and money of course...
Too old for drugs unfortunately...
I think even the money doesn't really factor in. Maybe it did for a brief period in the second half of last century when people started believing the get rich quick mythology because of the small number who did. But I reckon the vast majority of people I've ever taught music to didn't see it as a money thing, they just wanted to be making tunes, and up on stage being adored.

Even back in 1879 Darwin talked about a musical proto-language before language evolved for attracting mates. I think sex and reproduction is definitely one of the main factors, and some of the best musicians have been totally up front about that. This is also why some of the most creative musicians have been young and many lose the spark when we get older and have kids. Once you've procreated the biological imperative isn't as strong. Unless you're one of those scatter-gun dudes who want to spread their influence far and wide.

Still blows my mind that the Beatles were only just hitting 30 when they split. In their 20s when they did Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road. Fkn snot-nosed whipper snappers.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:34 am

Forge. wrote: Still blows my mind that the Beatles were only just hitting 30 when they split. In their 20s when they did Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road. Fkn snot-nosed whipper snappers.
true. though i personally marvel more at the pistols making the utter masterpiece that is never mind the bollocks when they were what - 19 or 20 ish?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:31 am

no comparison! :lol: 8)