Looking for tips on processing vocals in for Tech House

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
musikmachine

Looking for tips on processing vocals in for Tech House

Post by musikmachine » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:55 pm

Posted on Kvr but i thought i'd ask here for peeps more experienced with Live. :)

More of a general question but i'm using Live trying to create vocal effects like in the video out of one phrase: https://youtu.be/N6wixRvyjiA?t=80

In the video the same vocal is used (i think) to create several different parts but when i try using Lives tempo division or warp markers i don't get very good results, i can hear artifacts in the audio, doesn't help that the original tempo was 95bpm so i'm wondering how i can warp and stretch audio while preserving the transients and pitch.

Is something like Melodyne a good option or am i missing something in Live, or do i need to add some techniques to my toolbox? :oops:

Cheers!

sana48

Re: Looking for tips on processing vocals in for Tech House

Post by sana48 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:19 pm

Melodyne is a great option...

By default I believe the warp mode of lives editor is set to beats. Try changing it to complex or complex pro..

I think that's right lol..

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:33 pm

I always use pro for vocals, i read tones is good but haven't tried it yet. I'll try some stuff out with Live.

I've been listening to a lot of this stuff recently and am constantly impressed by the vocal sound design, no matter how much they warp and twist the vocal always sounds pristine but when i edit vocals using Live's warp modes there's a loss in quality so been wondering what thse guys are using, whether it's technique or a specific plugin...

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:11 pm

musikmachine wrote:More of a general question but i'm using Live trying to create vocal effects like in the video out of one phrase: https://youtu.be/N6wixRvyjiA?t=80
Rhythmic volume gating plays a prominent role in the part of the song I listened to.

Cut-O-Matic is a favorite Ableton factory affect of mine, but there are many ways to achieve gating.

Artillery is fun for fast, key-controlled gating.

You could also use a side chained dynamic processing device, like a Gate, Compressor, or Filter, and then route it so that it's modulated by a silent sound source that you play on your keyboard - this method is useful for playing irregular/human-feeling rhythms. You can also vary parameters of the silent sound source, like attack and release, and get some interesting results.

I have also gotten pleasant results from other FX units, like Buffer Shuffler, but I haven't used that one much... yet :)

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:27 pm

Cheers, i'll check out cut-o-matic.

I picked G8 recently which is really nice but it's the stretching i'm mainly referring to, any time i start messing with vocals of different tempos and warping etc the original quality of the vocal degrades too much but in tracks like this it sounds really clean and i'm wondering what they're using or what techniques are being used to warp, stretch and repitch vocals.

I'll post a sample of what i could get trying to emulate the track using Live's built in timestretch later. :)

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:42 pm

What made you want the G8 over the native Live gate? I have never done anything with stretching... that would be interesting to know how that's done. I heard one singer process her vocals through NI's Guitar Rig, and surprisingly, there were some interesting sounds.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:30 pm

mylkoa wrote:What made you want the G8 over the native Live gate? I have never done anything with stretching... that would be interesting to know how that's done. I heard one singer process her vocals through NI's Guitar Rig, and surprisingly, there were some interesting sounds.
It was 19 bucks and it's got some advanced features other gates don't have like a granular mode. :)

Hmmm, i tried Kontakt and Melodyne and same result, changes too much of the original vocal when i change the pitch. Can't think of much else besides manual editing. :?

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:56 pm

I listened to the track. The vocal effect you're trying to create can be done with crossfade looping and an amp envelope in a sampler followed with a ton of reverb. No need for stretching.

Just play around with the loop start/end point positions of a sustained vocal note in the sampler.

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:00 pm

outsidesys wrote:Just play around with the loop start/end point positions of a sustained vocal note in the sampler.
Love it when the simple and obvious things are the best... elegant solution bring smiles.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:37 pm

outsidesys wrote:I listened to the track. The vocal effect you're trying to create can be done with crossfade looping and an amp envelope in a sampler followed with a ton of reverb. No need for stretching.

Just play around with the loop start/end point positions of a sustained vocal note in the sampler.
Nice one! :)

I was thinking of using reverb like the ghost reverb effect but hadn't figured out how to stretch out the vocal like that without destroying it, i guess i can automate the loop point as well to create more spaced out vocal effects. Wicked!

I just read earlier that in Live 9.6 the updated complex warp modes could introduce artifacts which could account for what i was hearing.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:19 pm

outsidesys wrote:I listened to the track. The vocal effect you're trying to create can be done with crossfade looping and an amp envelope in a sampler followed with a ton of reverb. No need for stretching.

interesting :idea:

*bookmark* for later