Why can't I loop an unwarped clip in session view?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:41 pm

krank wrote:

Thanks a lot for recommendaing that work-around. I may get to use it in the future, but right now I'm thinking it's too much hassle to set up a Simpler track just to play an unwarped clip.
Agree! ;-)

.M.E.

Re:

Post by .M.E. » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:04 pm

pepezabala wrote:looping unwarped clips is possible by using follow action (play again-mode). But loop-lengths is determined by beats and not by the clip's original length.

We need a follow action mode that allows to set the length to 'clip length' instead of bars/beats. This would be handy also for automaticly shuffled dj-sets ... and any other unquantized crazyness.
Yep, would be nice. I just tought up a way to calculate milliseconds to beats. Pretty obvious, I guess, but it still took me a while to figure it out. So I'll post it anyway for the ones who haven't done any maths since highschool, like me.

Divide youre projects bpm by 60000, then multiply that by the audioclips milliseconds. that's the total amount of beats it takes to play the clip at regular speed. So divide it by four, round it down. That's the amount of measures. Subtract 4 times the amount of measures from the total amount of beats. What's left before the dot is the amount of beats.
What is left after the dot is the fragment of the beat. In ableton the last field for warped clips and midi displays number of sixteenths. So if 0,5 is left, it is half a beat, which is two sixteenths so you type '2'. Probably the figure you end up with is something with more that one digit behind the dot. I guess the best thing to do is round it down and make your audio clip just as many milliseconds shorter or round it up and make your audio clip as many millisaconds longer. I know, this last part sucks once again. Guess in in order for evolution to sustain, we have got te keep having things to crave for.

hope it helps.

Hielo Patagonia Sounds

Re:

Post by Hielo Patagonia Sounds » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:45 am

Angstrom wrote:
forge wrote:
you can manually override the seg.BPM in the warp settings and type in the exact number of the set tempo and warping will be disabled, even if the warp button is lit up - Live will not warp if the clip tempo and set tempo are the same and there are no extra warp markers - as confirmed by Ableton more than once on these forums
ingo wrote: All warp modes except 'complex' should be neutral
(producing the same audio as the unwarped clip)
when the song tempo equals the clip tempo and
the 'Fade' button is switched off.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 494#572494
that's true - but of course it's not much use in a live situation where you may be looping some ambience over the top of a jump from 140 BPM to 125 BPM .. then you will hear the ambience start to go "bleargh"

this is because your ambience may have the "typed in" master BPM, but when the master bpm changes it all goes to shit. And this being Live - it's all about "when the master BPM changes"

they need to allow loops on unwarped samples
I CAN'T believe that it's STILL not possible in Live 9.1. I'm making realtime ambient audio looping and not being able to automatically set a clip, recorded in realtime, in looping mode independent to the master tempo sucks !!!!

Yes, they are workaround, but they are not suitable for realtime "LIVE" looping/recording. The only way to achieve this is to use the Looper effect, but I'm much more comfortable to use the audio clip paradigm - it's WAY easier to use a clip launcher like the LaunchPad to start, create and record new audio clips than having to assign numerous buttons for each Looper effects.

:( :? :|

H.

stonecutter

Re: Why can't I loop an unwarped clip in session view?

Post by stonecutter » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:48 pm

This is one of the main things I have always wanted Live to be able to do.
It's amazing really. The guy behind Ableton (Monolake) is an ambient electronica artist, so its really surprising and annoying

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:20 pm

You'd probably have to use the Sampler.

Make endless midi note clips, a sample per key, toss them in session view, it'd essentially loop however the sample clip would loop.

Similarly, the drum rack with Simpler.

Of course, the downsides are, it's not much use in arrangement view, there's no visible waveform for clip editing (only in the instrument device), and you really can't record new samples on the spot and have them doing their thing, without having to drag and drop stuff

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:16 pm

It's amazing this has still not been addressed (as far as I know; not using the latest version of Live).

www.encym.net

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:49 am

I do it in Maxforlive based on hours minutes and seconds...

Cheers
D