Is there a way to record on a track while performing?

Discuss Push with other users.
estevan carlos benson

Is there a way to record on a track while performing?

Post by estevan carlos benson » Mon May 02, 2016 1:39 am

I'm using the Push2 so that I can perform with it using a Drum Rack in Live. In other words, on a track in Live, there is a Drum Rack and I am editing the loops in the Rack in real time. I want to be able to do this while recording audio in another track. I have a track that has an audio in set to the tracks producing audio--including whatever I'm doing on the Drum Rack.

It doesn't work on the Push2, as an interface. When I arm a track and select an empty slot to record, it works fine. As soon as I switch to the Drum Rack where I will perform, I am no longer able to use the rack as designed. It does not allow me to change tracks on that rack. I can not select drum sounds any longer. Additionally the notes in the rack highlight and turn red which is confusing. It's a confusing UI result.

When I try to do this exact same thing without the Push2, it works fine. In other words I can arm a track and record in an empty slot on that track. I can then go to the Drum Rack and spontaneously place notes within it with a mouse--thus editing the drum sequence in realtime. Works with a mouse. Not with the Push2.

Suggestions? I consider this a huge issue.

Live 9 Suite | M4L | MacBook Pro Quadcore 16gb ram | APC40
estevancarlos.com | The Handsomest Drowned Man

estevan carlos benson

Re: Is there a way to record on a track while performing?

Post by estevan carlos benson » Mon May 02, 2016 2:03 am

I may be getting inconsistent results (which suggests there's a bug). I was not able to change tracks in this scenario, however when changed focus to my browser while still recording, ignored for a while, and came back, I WAS able to change tracks within the Drum Rack again. This requires further testing.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:32 am

you cant change and reaarange notes in the clip on track2 unless you do it step seqqncing mode

estevan carlos benson

Post by estevan carlos benson » Mon May 02, 2016 5:12 pm

"you cant change and reaarange notes in the clip on track2 unless you do it step seqqncing mode"

I don't understand. Are you saying that when it's recording on a separate track, it's no longer in step sequencing mode? Those two things can't occur at the same time with the Push2?

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:51 am

estevan carlos benson wrote:"you cant change and reaarange notes in the clip on track2 unless you do it step seqqncing mode"

I don't understand. Are you saying that when it's recording on a separate track, it's no longer in step sequencing mode? Those two things can't occur at the same time with the Push2?
this is what youre trying to do right?
i am sending midi notes from track7 into drumracks in tracks 8 and 9, and then that audio is being sent to track 10, as track 10 is recording audio into it, i am using the step sequencer mode on push in track track 7...i am pushing pads to activate midi notes in track 7, then pushing again to remove the notes...so changing the outgoing midi notes that are being received by track 8 and 9...all this is being recorded as audio....in track 10

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue May 03, 2016 8:35 pm

Inversoundzzz wrote:
estevan carlos benson wrote:"you cant change and reaarange notes in the clip on track2 unless you do it step seqqncing mode"

i am sending midi notes from track7 into drumracks in tracks 8 and 9, and then that audio is being sent to track 10, as track 10 is recording audio into it, i am using the step sequencer mode on push in track track 7...i am pushing pads to activate midi notes in track 7, then pushing again to remove the notes...so changing the outgoing midi notes that are being received by track 8 and 9...all this is being recorded as audio....in track 10
link

estevan carlos benson

Post by estevan carlos benson » Tue May 03, 2016 9:16 pm

Inversoundzzz wrote:

Close. I am using a step sequencer in a Drum Rack and recording incoming audio (from my master channel) in a separate audio track. I am not sequencing in a regular channel like I think you are in track 7.

From my tests so far, what I am trying to do works sometimes...

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue May 03, 2016 10:13 pm

estevan carlos benson wrote:
Inversoundzzz wrote:

Close. I am using a step sequencer in a Drum Rack and recording incoming audio (from my master channel) in a separate audio track. I am not sequencing in a regular channel like I think you are in track 7.

From my tests so far, what I am trying to do works sometimes...
what do you mean by works sometimes or is that the problem , that you don't know why it's only working sometimes?

estevan carlos benson

Post by estevan carlos benson » Tue May 03, 2016 11:00 pm

starving student wrote: what do you mean by works sometimes or is that the problem , that you don't know why it's only working sometimes?
What do I mean? The first several times I tried to use the Step Sequencer in the Drum Rack mode WHILE recording audio on another track, it did not allow me to select different tracks within the Drum Rack. In the image below, the bottom left track is selected (highlighted blue). Using the Push2 I was originally UNABLE to select different tracks so that I can add MIDI notes.

This is the problem I had several times. However it randomly worked later--I was able to select different tracks within the Drum Rack using the Push2. I do not know why. This was not originally the case when I posted this question. Is this something you've come across?

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:44 pm

y do u need to input midi notes from a drum rack.....into other drum racks.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed May 04, 2016 12:04 am

Hi,
There is a workaround, not the greatest but I hope this technique can help you:
http://www.jethroe.com/2016/01/09/how-t ... ord-audio/

Jesse

estevan carlos benson

Post by estevan carlos benson » Wed May 04, 2016 2:57 am

Inversoundzzz wrote:y do u need to input midi notes from a drum rack.....into other drum racks.
I'm not doing that. Each of those squares in the Drum Rack represents a MIDI note. Maybe I shouldn't use the term "track" when I'm referring to those. I guess they're chain. So I'm only changing the sequences of these individual notes. The problem I have is that sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't.

estevan carlos benson

Post by estevan carlos benson » Wed May 04, 2016 2:57 am

Jesse wrote:Hi,
There is a workaround, not the greatest but I hope this technique can help you:
http://www.jethroe.com/2016/01/09/how-t ... ord-audio/

Jesse
Awesome! Thanks. I'll try this out.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:31 am

each of the squares in an instrument rack represents a midi note too. of u hit note D4 on an instrument rack, it will still trigger note D4 in the drum rack u r receiving that midi in

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed May 04, 2016 9:05 am

estevan carlos benson wrote:
starving student wrote: what do you mean by works sometimes or is that the problem , that you don't know why it's only working sometimes?
What do I mean? The first several times I tried to use the Step Sequencer in the Drum Rack mode WHILE recording audio on another track, it did not allow me to select different tracks within the Drum Rack. In the image below, the bottom left track is selected (highlighted blue). Using the Push2 I was originally UNABLE to select different tracks so that I can add MIDI notes.

This is the problem I had several times. However it randomly worked later--I was able to select different tracks within the Drum Rack using the Push2. I do not know why. This was not originally the case when I posted this question. Is this something you've come across?
no I haven't come across this, but features should definitely be either working or non-existent!!!