Any hope for a Push mini design?

Discuss Push with other users.
yaddablah

Re: Any hope for a Push mini design?

Post by yaddablah » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:06 pm

graphixsounds wrote:I love the concept of push but, is it just me or is that thing humungous? is there any hope for a smaller design with maybe half the amount of pads?
Agree. A mini-module can be created that suits the needs of the minimalists and plugs in to the mother ship for those who think the more buttons they have, the cooler they are. Not sure why "mini" implies "poorly made" but that just shows you what public education does to the human mind.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:01 pm

graphixsounds wrote:wow im suprised there isnt more response here.... non one finds the ableton push to be a bit large? i for one dont need 64 pads... 16 or 32 would be fine
hell yeah it's too large.... I would love a Push 2 mini to death!!!! I would be willing to trade a Push 2 standard for one as well.

starving student

How Many People would like a Mini Push 2 to carry around?

Post by starving student » Thu May 05, 2016 1:44 am

I would love a Mini Push 2 that focused on super portability and when I say super portability that means that I would like one where actually everything was just 'too small', not an inbetween version that was a little smaller but sacrificed portability because they wanted to keep it feeling just as good as the regular one....I want something smaller than that to keep on me always, something just a tad smaller than the novation circuit, and I wouldn't mind cramped controls, as a matter of fact I would like them to add a crossfader to it, don't know why they skimped on the crossfader on the regular one but I don't want to use the ribbon controller as a crossfader.
So how's about it Ableton, can I have one of those by the end of September?

yur2die4

Re: How Many People would like a Mini Push 2 to carry around?

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:52 am

Maybe name the features you would want it to have? Similarities to Push 1 and 2 and differences.

Like. How many pads, what size, which button features, what is on the display, etc.

If a person heard you suggest a smaller Push and started designing it, it might be an entirely different thing than you were hoping for.

Additionally, on the subject of the pads, when Push first came out the pad concept was a big selling point. They were 'full color' pads that related to clip launching, could step sequence and be used in the traditional finger drumming sense, And could be used for melodic/harmonic material.

A smaller Push might have to sacrifices some of the pad features in one way or another, or even altogether (depending on who you ask).

The clip creation functions are pretty much givens. I think Push's concept goes perfectly with things like double, quantize, duplicate, new, etc. it is at the heart of Push's functionality.

Aside from the pads, the other breakthrough offered by Push was how it's display and knobs behaved. It showed relevant data and reacted based on which knob you touched. Push 2 upped the ante with a color display... With a smaller device, there would have to be some major decisions for how the display would function.

EDIT: Somehow I overlooked the entire thread and only saw one or two posts. Oops

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu May 05, 2016 9:54 pm

basically I think novation has already the proof of concept, take the novation pro, add 11 knobs, add a crossfader on the left side and write Push 2 Mini on the headboard and I'll buy it.
and as long as all of the new sampling functionality is represented on the screen it would work for my uses.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri May 06, 2016 6:08 am

starving student wrote:basically I think novation has already the proof of concept, take the novation pro, add 11 knobs, add a crossfader on the left side and write Push 2 Mini on the headboard and I'll buy it.
and as long as all of the new sampling functionality is represented on the screen it would work for my uses.
I call bullshit

you wouldn't buy it. you'd ask a lot of questions about it and then settle for something else...

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri May 06, 2016 10:20 am

what else is there?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:56 pm

Push 2 non-mini might be an alternative :lol:

You basically described a Push 2. The pads from the LP Pro, adding a display, 11 encoders and a crossfader would essentially be the same size?

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri May 06, 2016 5:36 pm

not even close, I have a Push 2 so I know.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri May 06, 2016 5:46 pm

basically the scale would be top to bottom, from the track buttons to the bottom of the pads, and from right to left from the ribbon to the scene buttons and still put some knobs on their etc... like I said make it cramped... the reason why is that ableton live is the perfect environment for programming music. In other situations I'd be focused on the full comfortability of the unit but when you're out and about and take a break to look into an idea you're generally more focused, you've got a cup of mud or a mug-o-tea in front of you on generally a small table space. A push controller that can be hidden by a small laptop would be ideal, and a most enjoyable experience. I think it would sell like hotcakes .

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue May 10, 2016 3:36 am

maybe something between the $399 and $499 price point

braduro

Post by braduro » Tue May 17, 2016 5:09 pm

Now with peak and rms view one could argue that push 2 is actually quite compact. In other words there's a good argument for mixing with the pots and saving yourself the sprawl and expense of a separate board.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed May 18, 2016 12:53 am

definitely concur with your sentiments, but that's a little bit of a different issue

Electric Blue Studios

Post by Electric Blue Studios » Wed May 18, 2016 3:26 pm

i'd love it if they'd just release the top portion of push and cut everything from the pads on down. something that could sit right above your keyboard, have all the hands on control of effects and tracks and whatnot with the nice display.