iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

Re: iPad

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 05, 2016 6:01 pm

I hear you, that's why I focus on the master wav too.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:31 pm

I think the biggest issue is his losing irreplaceable material. Between personal renderings (which could be love recordings, or root sources of material), and tracks labeled something common, but being a specific version, years of his passion have gone completely poof.

A favorite version of a track downloaded on a now defunct artist page has now been replaced by the radio-version. Or in the comments section, some material which was removed from iTunes (to be replaced by a newer special edition), would simply be deleted. And then you would have to purchase the entire special edition in order to have it again.

This is like asking someone to store your records, and then having them all thrown in the garbage, and when you request to hear one, you can only hear the most common version of the track (which might be nothing close to the version/vibe you wanted to hear).

It comes down to Apple generalizing music to an extent. They seem to be okay with being reckless with your personal collection, and have no respect for the possibility that people aren't only trying to hear a random version of a song, but a specific version. Much like if you ordered seafood at a place near the shore and they served frozen imports from fish farms in China. 'You ordered the tuna, this is tuna'

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 05, 2016 7:38 pm

That sucks for sure. I have both an Apple Music subscription and the annual Match subscription. At this point if I cancel either I’m sure something is going to go astray. I’m also leery of adding too many “free” tracks to my library from Apple Music unless it’s something I probably couldn’t care less about losing like a drunken preoccupation with Elvis music.

Still, this doesn’t seem to be happening to everybody and the Internet is the playground of complainers, bad luck magnets, and early adopters complaining about early issues for eternity.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 05, 2016 8:39 pm

That one reason I consider your every day useage HD a transitory place. Data you only have stored there is just too vulnerable to who knows what, not least drive failure. Back Ups, especially wth HD prices now, are more or less mandatory for these just in case scenarios.
Tarekith

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 05, 2016 9:30 pm

Yeah, but the problem is even if you roll back to a backup date before your tracks disappeared or use some kind of convoluted manual backup routine but still use iTunes as your main hub, what is going to prevent your tracks from disappearing again? And if you are deep in the Apple software and hardware ecosystem there’s really no way of getting around using iTunes for continuity and ease of use.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 05, 2016 9:38 pm

Apparently Trent Reznor is newly in charge of the Apple Music team. 8O

A redesign is expected to be announced this summer. Among the redesign rumors is a more flat and black (Trent, heh) background UI that is no longer going to grab the colors from the album artwork. Come on! I like it grabbing the color from the artwork. Keeps things interesting and is one of the few UI design aspects I like that somewhat says “class”. The world doesn’t need more lazy black backgrounds. :x

steko

Post by steko » Fri May 06, 2016 12:43 am

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 06, 2016 7:24 pm

Hey, some discussion on Apple losing your music.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/deb ... s.1971399/

steko

Post by steko » Fri May 13, 2016 12:23 am

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri May 13, 2016 6:29 am

beats me wrote:Apparently Trent Reznor is newly in charge of the Apple Music team. 8O

A redesign is expected to be announced this summer. Among the redesign rumors is a more flat and black (Trent, heh) background UI that is no longer going to grab the colors from the album artwork. Come on! I like it grabbing the color from the artwork. Keeps things interesting and is one of the few UI design aspects I like that somewhat says “class”. The world doesn’t need more lazy black backgrounds. :x
transparent.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 13, 2016 4:39 pm

Google just released the free gboard alternative keyboard for iOS. Pretty slick. Has the swipe typing and a google search within the keyboard so you can find things like animated gifs and business listings you can directly insert in an IM or anything you are typing in. If you are unsure how to use alternative keyboards just launch the gboard app and it walks you through the process.

They haven’t released it for Android yet. :P

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Moog released an iOS app that is an emulation of some vintage keyboard. I heard its great but I still can’t get excited about iOS music apps and its $30. Interesting that they will spend the resources on iOS apps but not on desktop software. Probably don’t want to because it will eat into their hardware sales and they can’t charge a premium for their software given all the competition. Given the price of their hardware they would probably want to sell desktop plugins for $400+.

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Mon May 23, 2016 9:29 am

The Verge: How many Apple engineers does it take to fix iTunes?
Just thought of this article when I tried to throw a single Live mix MP3 over to my iPhone via iTunes. And gave up after 15 minutes, emailed it to it instead. :D

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Rumor Apple is going to replace the function button row on the top of the keyboard on the next MPBs with a customizable touch screen with Touch ID. 8O

Makes since Apple would toss in Touch ID to unlock the computer, enter passwords, and make purchases since its a big part of iOS.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:34 am

My review of the new Auxy update is now on DJ Tech Tools:

http://djtechtools.com/2016/06/11/revie ... o-2-0-ios/
Tarekith