anyone on a mac having positive results?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:12 am

firewire 400 Megabits per second

pcmcia 100 mebaBYTES per second

=RME rocks, go pcmcia on a laptop.

dss

Post by dss » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:39 am

ok,

well so i see that many people are using live to perform with a mac and not having audio drop outs.

here's the info i have gathered as well:

Never split the bus:
if you have a firewire interface, don't connect a hub for your hard drive, live will work better using the internal drive than splitting the bus reserves.

or usa a usb audio interface (or what seems to be popular suddenly a pcmcia cardbus interface) and a firewire hard disk.

solo instead of change scene
a lot of my audio drop out problems are happening when i am changing scenes from scene 11 with 14 tracks of audio to scene 12 with only a bassline (it makes it this far just fine) and then to scene 11 again and all hell breaks loose... the tempo sounds like it drags and the audio drops out entirely on beat 2, and then recovers and operates fine (until i do that tricky move again.)

so, if i use solo instead of a scene change it works fine.

motu drivers don't like to be updated over eachother
according to a few frequent users of motu 828's the word is that you have to manually delete the old drivers before you update to the new ones. go into your system and remove the old ones, switch your 828 off, and install the new ones. switch your 828 on and configure.

bad news is that i have done all this, and i still get audio dropouts...

wondering if more ram, another audio interface, or a more powerful cpu will solve these issues.

so far, live isn't gonna work out for live performance.

bummer, i really like this software. but drop outs are just unacceptable.

dss

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:54 pm

RAM is definitely important. On a mac for performance judging from what i've heard and seen of my friends tibook g4 gig RAM, you need a gig of RAM. I will say, and it has been said before, that pcs are noticably faster and capable of considerable more tracks and effects, my tibook buddy just about cried when he saw how much my toshiba satelite p4 2.4, gig Ram, xp pro could handle compared to his much more expensive mac. That said, it seems people definitely gig on macs, and I was under the impression that 828's were well suited to macs. I've found that using a fast external firewire harddive (7,200 RPM, 8.9 ms seek time) is key to large track counts--have you Live content folder there, have your clips ther, record to the external drive. I do this while using a pcmcia RME multiface setup, which is nice since I can use my 1 firewire port for my ext drive, and my pcmcia for the RME. I've heard of, at least on pcs, problems when using multiple firewire devices (like 828 and an ext. drive). Are you using an external drive, is it firewire too?

Usb interface for audio works, but is not reccomendable if you can afford more. The bandwidth is not as good as firewire, and track count is limited. 828 is better than any usb device i can think of. Are you osx or 0s9--seems like mac users have better luck with Live on 9. Don't give up on live yet, it definitely can work on a mac without audio problems, its just a matter of figuring out what is causing the problems (have you updated to 2.0.3?). Worst case maybe try a reinstall of everything (or maybe one thing at a time like 828 drivers, then Live, and if all else fails, reinstalling the os)?

The scene situation you describe to me sounds like it is either RAM or internal (slow) hard drive related--Live is struggling to spit out all of those clips at once, which means they are too slow to load up, which in my experience seems most likely to be a hard drive thang--are you using internal? and pcmcia isn't just popular all of a sudden, if you research laptop interfaces for long, all roads lead to the RME--it's been around for awhile--and for good reason. It has zero cpu load (it does all the processing itself, not taxing you computer at all), not so on firewire devices. Despite the bs touted in an earlier post that pcmcia is only 20 Mbps, it is indeed faster than firewire, and RME is the best laptop solution for a serious and/or professional musician. I can record 16 tracks of 24/48 simultaneously at the lowest (1.5 ms) latency into Live, and playback many more than that with many a Live and vst effect.

Good Luck

Ryan

dss

Post by dss » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:56 am

more results:

i went to the macintosh dealer today and talked it over with the guy there who i like and trust. he had no real suggestion apart from trying more ram.

so i did, added another 512 megs of memory.

it's better. not perfect yet, but better.

secondly, i read on the motu website about how to best use multiple firewire devices. motu actually say that while there should be no problem using a powered hub (as i was doing) that the best results come from a proper daisy chaining of firewire devices.

well, the 828 mk I only has one fire wire port on it, but my hard drive has 2. so i daisy chained them together and it's working even better.

still not exactly perfect, but close to usable.

so my plan now is to consolidate some of the tracks, set myself a limit of no more than 10 tracks per scene and see how that does.

from the progress i've made with ram and daisy chaining i imagine that it'll be up to par by the time i reduce the stress on the processor.

don't know if this is common knowledge, but in OS X there's a CPU monitor. sometime when running a heavy workload, try comparing the OS CPU monitor to the monitor in live. i found that i was much more heavily stressed than Live was reporting.

dss

stew

Post by stew » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:45 pm

When using Live on a Mac, forget about OS X. It runs a lot better in OS 9 IME, and stabilitiy is not an issue - OS 9 itself doesn't crash if you keep the extensions folder clean and if Live craps out - well, the same can happen in OS X just as well.

For performances: I saw Acid Pali (Matin Gretschmann) on stage two months ago, using an iBook with Live running OS 9. That show went for hours, without any problems whatsoever.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:14 am

don't overlook having a fast external drive for clips and your record folder, it really is a HUGE difference in speed an capabilities between my internal 4,2oo RPM drive, and my external 7,200 RPM firewire 8 MB cache, 8.9 ms seek time drive. Way more tracks and faster.

Ryan